Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: The Beatles (Group & Solo)

Quote Originally Posted by RRA View Post
    That was one of those Paul records I thought was OK when I explored it many many years ago. But those remasters so far have been banging and hell their job on VENUS & MARS made me respect that joint even more, so I'll get this eventually.

Aren't they doing BACK TO THE EGG next?
    If only Paul had not to decided to release Junior's Farm and Sally G as a non-album A-side/B-side and instead saved them for Venus & Mars that would have made for one of Paul's greatest post-Beatles albums. Junior's Farm could have played the role of addictive rocker that Maybe I'm Amazed, Eat At Home, Jet, and Old Siam Sir play on his 70's masterpieces. I like Rock Show but it just doesn't have that sort of drive. As for Sally G., it would have made for a fine addition to the gorgeous songs Love in Song and Listen to What the Man Said.

I hope Back to the Egg is next. A masterpiece.

A Bad Man in a Bad Land / Mr. Consistency
    Quote Originally Posted by ldw View Post
    If only Paul had not to decided to release Junior's Farm and Sally G as a non-album A-side/B-side and instead saved them for Venus & Mars that would have made for one of Paul's greatest post-Beatles albums. Junior's Farm could have played the role of addictive rocker that Maybe I'm Amazed, Eat At Home, Jet, and Old Siam Sir play on his 70's masterpieces. I like Rock Show but it just doesn't have that sort of drive. As for Sally G., it would have made for a fine addition to the gorgeous songs Love in Song and Listen to What the Man Said.

I hope Back to the Egg is next. A masterpiece.
    I like "Rock Show" but the problem is that it only really works live (and it fabulously does on WINGS OVER AMERICA.) The recorded version is neutered.
    Recent films RRA survived:

Close Encounters of the Third Kind re-release (BIG Thumbs Up)
    Birth of the Dragon
    Terminator 2: Judgment Day in 3-D (BIG Thumbs Up)
    Annabelle: Creation
    Kidnap (Thumbs Up)
    Wish Upon

Quote Originally Posted by RRA View Post
    I like "Rock Show" but the problem is that it only really works live (and it fabulously does on WINGS OVER AMERICA.) The recorded version is neutered.
    When I picked up Wings Over America I was stunned how ferocious and wonderful Rock Show came off. That had been a disappointment on Venus and Mars when it came out - that it was a rock song that just didn't quite rock. It didn't take off and you knew it didn't take off. But the opening of Wings Over America is one of the greatest, maybe the greatest, opening for a live album ever.

Birth of the Dragon
    Kidnap (Thumbs Up)
    Wish Upon

Dead Men Tell No More Lonely Nights

Birth of the Dragon
    Kidnap (Thumbs Up)
    Wish Upon

Anyone else been listening to the 50th Anniversary Sgt Peppers album? I got the super deluxe box set and been making my way through the discs.

The remix of the main album itself is pretty impressive - definitely an improvement over the anemic sounding prior stereo versions.It does sound like Giles Martin mostly sourced the remix from the mono recordings (most apparent in the bookend Sgt Pepper Lonely Hearts Club band intro and reprise songs). I'm definitely listening to this with a new found enjoyment for an album that I always loved (first "true" rock album I ever listened to from beginning to end) but felt that it was lacking a bit compared to the better Beatles' albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Harv View Post
    Anyone else been listening to the 50th Anniversary Sgt Peppers album? I got the super deluxe box set and been making my way through the discs.

The remix of the main album itself is pretty impressive - definitely an improvement over the anemic sounding prior stereo versions.It does sound like Giles Martin mostly sourced the remix from the mono recordings (most apparent in the bookend Sgt Pepper Lonely Hearts Club band intro and reprise songs). I'm definitely listening to this with a new found enjoyment for an album that I always loved (first "true" rock album I ever listened to from beginning to end) but felt that it was lacking a bit compared to the better Beatles' albums.
    It is a massive improvement! While those 1987 CD releases were lacking, Sgt Peppers was particularly hard hit. Of all the Beatles albums, the instrumentation on Sgt Peppers is the most layered and a lot of that vibrant feel was lost with the 1987 CD. And generations were listening to that 1987 CD and missing out on much of what made it so incredible. Even with the 2009 release which was much stronger, a remix was clearly needed. And this remix does the job. Songs like Within You Without You (so innovative), Good Morning Good Morning (the nasty guitar by Paul is more distinct and adds the needed harshness that fits the lyrics), Lovely Rita, and Getting Better pop. The textures are stunning. She's Leaving Home, a woefully underrated masterpiece, is even more gorgeous.

Personally I have Revolver (I really wish they would remix that!) and Abbey Road as my two favorites among the Great Five (the other two Rubber Soul and The Beatles below Sgt Peppers*). I don't like Fixing A Hole coming after Getting Better and I don't like Lovely Rita coming after When I'm Sixty-Four.

*I have all 5 and A Hard Day's Night in my top 25.

I'm still confused as to why George Martin wasn't asked to do a new stereo mix while he was still alive. It's crazy they didn't think to do this after the Anthologies were released, and even crazier that they still didn't do it before the 2009 reissues.

I also wouldn't have minded a bit of blasphemy from Paul and Ringo agreeing to insert Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane into the official tracklisting, as it makes the Greatest Album Of All Time argument a lot easier to make.

Since the White Album is my favorite, I'm very much looking forward this next year:

Beatles’ Next Expanded Reissue Project Will Focus on the White Album
    RIVETTE, TOUJOURS

It is worth mentioning that it was sixty years ago today, 6 July 1957, that a couple of scruffy teenagers named Lennon and McCartney met each other. Though it might not be generally known, music eventually took off in an interesting direction as a result of that meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
    It is worth mentioning that it was sixty years ago today, 6 July 1957, that a couple of scruffy teenagers named Lennon and McCartney met each other. Though it might not be generally known, music eventually took off in an interesting direction as a result of that meeting.
    Yep. If not for John meeting Paul, we would all be Gerry and the Pacemakers fans.

Quote Originally Posted by harv View Post
    yep. If not for john meeting paul, we would all be gerry and the pacemakers fans.
    "Don't let the sun catch you crying...oh...no...oh..."

In 2017 Beatles are Emmy nominees

Technicality no down boo over?! flibber's Avatar
    After years of wanting to I was finally able to see McCartney live last night. "Live and Let Die" with fireworks is one of the greatest things I've ever seen.