Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: 12 Years a Slave thread

Senior Member & Supreme Being Michael Fassbender Fan smonie's Avatar
    I hate it when the same top five US cities get to see limited release films a week or two before everyone else.

OCTOBER 18:

Los Angeles
    Cinemark Baldwin Hills
    Arclight Hollywood
    The Landmark (TICKETS AVAILABLE NOW)

New York
    AMC Empire 25
    Lincoln Plaza
    Regal Union Square

Chicago
    AMC River East (TICKETS AVAILABLE NOW)
    Landmark Century Centre
    Cinemark Evanston 18
    Showplace Icon

Washington, D.C.
    Regal Gallery Place
    Landmark Bethesda Row
    Majestic Silver Springs

Atlanta
    Regal Atlantic Station (TICKETS AVAILABLE NOW)
    AMC Phipps Plaza
    Landmark Midtown
    AMC Southlake Pavilion

Toronto
    Varsity

OCTOBER 25 (Theaters TBD--more cities to be added soon)
    Boston
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    Detroit
    Houston
    Philadelphia
    Baltimore

Quote Originally Posted by smonie View Post
    I hate it when the same country gets to see all the films six months before everyone else.
    Fixed. Count your blessings!

A man's dying is more his survivors' affair than his own.

Senior Member & Supreme Being Michael Fassbender Fan smonie's Avatar

I understand your pain.

New Trailer:

"It's like the Beatles, you're watching history in the making and you don't even know it"

I was wondering about how quickly they would go wide. Not sure how I feel about it. It's a film that definitely has people talking, but it's also the kind of film that people might not want to see, until the awards start rolling in. But Searchlight is usually a smart studio when handling their films, so I imagine they'll try to get as much out of the film as humanly possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I was wondering about how quickly they would go wide. Not sure how I feel about it. It's a film that definitely has people talking, but it's also the kind of film that people might not want to see, until the awards start rolling in. But Searchlight is usually a smart studio when handling their films, so I imagine they'll try to get as much out of the film as humanly possible.
    Well, the commercial above, as well as the trailer, definitely indicate Fox Searchlight is going for a wide audience. I don't really like the commercial, I don't think it fits the actual tone of the movie, but I'll leave the marketing to those who know better than I.

Show her the tampon straw! DirkDiggler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vizion View Post
    New Trailer:

That was weird and unfitting.

LOL, that was like a trailer to a Tarantino movie or something.

the wickedly-talented, one and only... siowafc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smonie View Post
    I hate it when the same top five US cities get to see limited release films a week or two before everyone else.

OCTOBER 18:
    Atlanta

Trust me, Atlanta never gets anything first.
    SO, WHAT HAPPENED TO ROSAMUND PIKE'S OSCAR CHANCES...?!

(Keep the flame alive, Pikeistans! )

Quote Originally Posted by Vizion View Post
    New Trailer:

La Pitt truly is a character actor trapped in a movie star's body, isn't he?
    Quote Originally Posted by oscarhost View Post
    Im 26. Im male, and Im gay. Im not famous.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinesnatch View Post
    Thanks for sharing, Matt. After reading this, I'm even more confident in Slave. What a F*cking Narrative on top of The Narrative it already had.
    Pitt, Searchlight and the rest of the team behind this are bringing their A game, that's for sure.

I know people criticized the trailer and its 'inspirational' feel but I really liked it and hated that tv spot.

Picasso of passive-aggressive karate bosk's Avatar
    I liked the trailer as well. That TV spot was pretty bad, though.

Found this on another board, but apparently it's from Goldderby (someone who attended a screening with AMPAS members): GRAIN OF SALT PEOPLE!
    Breaking news: I'm attending a very private screening of 12 Years a Slave tomorrow and I heard that an Academy-related inside source will be there as well. I can not only post my review of the film but also try to talk and squeeze something out of the source if you guys want to! Just say something that you want me to ask and I'll try my best to do it
    Came back from the screening. The movie was phenomenal and moving and I still can't get it out of my head. Props to McQueen's direction and the supporting cast, specially Nyongo'o and Fassbender who in my opinion outshined Ejiofor by a very thin margin (even though he was terrific and clearly a best actor nominee, he got it in the bag).

Also, I spoke with the source that I talked about yesterday and we had a VERY revealing chat. Do you guys wanna hear anything about it or do you prefer to go on without some inside info?
    So basically we talked for about 2/3 minutes (my friend was leading the conversation). He said that Lupita has a bigger chance than Chiwetel at winning and that according to a few academy voters 50 Years a Slave currently has the biggest shot at winning best picture even though Steve McQueen is not going to make it. He also said that this year is going to be a year of surprises because its a very crowded year and anyone can win and that the people who seem to be the frontrunners are the ones that will probably lose. He claimed that its going to be a very exciting and diverse Oscar season and that he was glad that Hollywood is taking the industry to a whole new level.

I only asked ONE question in our entire conversation: "Blanchett or Bullock?" and he smiled and answered "Adele"
    He was definitely in his late 40's/early 50's. To be 100% honest I don't know how relevant he is in the industry but he's related to them somehow because he knows a lot of the voters personally (the older ones). Also my journalist friend said that she heard him saying that between Streep, Bullock and Blanchett, Cate has the edge because Diane Keaton was the last Woody Allen best actress winner and that is somehow a factor and also because she has the showiest and toughest role out of the three. However he hinted that Adele is a very very very strong contender. Watch out for Woody Allen as best director nominee.

Take this with a grain of salt though. He's not the one who calls the shots but he sure does know what he's talking about. This will be a very unusual awards season.

"It's like the Beatles, you're watching history in the making and you don't even know it"

He said that Lupita has a bigger chance than Chiwetel at winning
    I've been thinking this might be the case for a while now.

I cannot wait for Oprah to be Bacalled.

Always Be Excellent to Each Other Howard Beale's Toothpaste's Avatar
    How would McQueen not make it, if the film is so well-received? I mean, there's the precedent of Argo, but that was a bizarre anomaly, and probably had something to do with the directors branch disliking Affleck. I guess if he means McQueen won't win, that's probably true (Cuaron vs. Greengrass), but he's pretty much guaranteed a nomination unless he pisses everyone off.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Beale's Toothpaste View Post
    How would McQueen not make it, if the film is so well-received? I mean, there's the precedent of Argo, but that was a bizarre anomaly, and probably had something to do with the directors branch disliking Affleck. I guess if he means McQueen won't win, that's probably true (Cuaron vs. Greengrass), but he's pretty much guaranteed a nomination unless he pisses everyone off.
    Yes I think the comment was in regards to McQueen winning.

I can see a 12YAS/Cuaron split happening.

Conscious Uncoupling Brazilianmovies's Avatar
    I'm a sucker for these insider chats. Go Adele!

Love,
    Gwyneth & Chris