View Poll Results: MVP of the Film #89: Steel Magnolias

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sally Field

    25 59.52%
  • Dolly Parton

    1 2.38%
  • Shirley MacLaine

    2 4.76%
  • Daryl Hannah

    1 2.38%
  • Olympia Dukakis

    2 4.76%
  • Julia Roberts

    10 23.81%
  • Other

    1 2.38%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 34 of 34

Thread: MVP of the Film #89: Steel Magnolias

  1. #21
    Dunkadooballs Pingy's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2007
    Location: Gwyneth's Goop
    Posts: 9,627
    How the f*** did Julia Roberts get more votes than Ouiser...?

  2. #22
    God Help You! Igor BiH's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2015
    Location: The Other Side of Darkness
    Posts: 3,844
    I actually though Julia was the weak link, for me. She plays the big moments well, but the whole performance felt a bit incomplete to me. While the movie star was born here, it wasn't until Pretty Woman the next year that the actress also came to the surface.

    Easy win for Sally, with also much love for Dolly and Olympia.


    FYC: Goddess Gal Gadot, Wonder Woman

  3. #23
    Senior Member Blasty's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2007
    Posts: 16,845
    Julia Roberts is really bad in this, but Daryl Hannah is even worse, of course and a complete trainwreck, so she doesn't seem so bad by comparison.

    That being said, it doesn't matter because the whole movie is obviously so much fun and the lines are so delicious and the rest of the cast is who is driving the thing anyway. Julia might as well be a pretty piece of southern cardboard in this, the others prop her up so much with their charm and gravitas. However, Julia is truly horrific at crying in this, that her diabetic overdrive scene becomes a camp classic thanks to this:



    But really, this scene is so incredibly overblown and melodramatic, from the scoring to how it's shot. Again, it's fun and delicious camp, for sure, but as great drama goes, this movie often blows it. Camp classic? Yes. Great Drama? Eh.

    I enjoy it in the same way I enjoy Mommie Dearest, basically. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But the movie really is overrated among those who try to claim it really is a great movie. The Oscars made the right choice in snubbing this in most categories.





  4. #24
    RIP :( 24Emmy's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2015
    Posts: 4,566
    Aww, the poll's closed. I would've voted for Sally.


    Quote Originally Posted by Blasty View Post
    The Oscars made the right choice in snubbing this in most categories.




    BB2 Expect the Unexpected.

    Awards Season Fantasy League returns October 1st! Who will you draft?

  5. #25
    Great Awards Predictor Sara Allorn's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2015
    Location: Kenneth Branagh's moustache
    Posts: 19,454
    I agree that Julia's performance feels a bit incomplete somehow, but I feel like that had to do more with the writing, otherwise, she was really good.

    Also, I didn't know the film was so sad. I thought it was a comedy!
    HARRY STYLES - BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR - DUNKIRK

    We shall go on to the Dolby. We shall campaign in L.A., we shall campaign at the parties and screenings, we shall campaign with growing confidence and growing strength at the Globes, we shall defend our performance, whatever the cost may be. We shall campaign on the podcasts, we shall campaign at the Academy luncheon, we shall campaign at the SAG and at the BAFTA, we shall campaign in the press; we shall never surrender.

  6. #26
    Senior Member Blasty's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2007
    Posts: 16,845
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara Allorn View Post
    I agree that Julia's performance feels a bit incomplete somehow, but I feel like that had to do more with the writing, otherwise, she was really good.

    Also, I didn't know the film was so sad. I thought it was a comedy!
    Well, I know I'm laughing during most of the hysterical "sad" scenes, so it's definitely a "comedy" to me!



    And that includes





    I really do blame the director and again, the way it's shot for most of my problems with the wildly shifting tones not working for me. I mean, the whole shaky cam here, how Sally's acting so frantic...it's all just too much. Too theatrical for anything but camp for me.





  7. #27
    Great Awards Predictor Sara Allorn's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2015
    Location: Kenneth Branagh's moustache
    Posts: 19,454
    Aww, I thought it was a really heartbreaking scene. And I think one of the strengh of the film was how it was able to go from drama to comedy, vice versa. The scene in your gif for exemple, I was crying hard, but then, by the end, I was laughing, I thought it really managed to make it seem very real.
    HARRY STYLES - BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR - DUNKIRK

    We shall go on to the Dolby. We shall campaign in L.A., we shall campaign at the parties and screenings, we shall campaign with growing confidence and growing strength at the Globes, we shall defend our performance, whatever the cost may be. We shall campaign on the podcasts, we shall campaign at the Academy luncheon, we shall campaign at the SAG and at the BAFTA, we shall campaign in the press; we shall never surrender.

  8. #28
    Dunkadooballs Pingy's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2007
    Location: Gwyneth's Goop
    Posts: 9,627
    I legit cry at the scene immediately after the demise of Juicey Roberts when Sally rushes out to be w/ her grandson...

  9. #29
    Senior Citizen OnTheAisle's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2016
    Posts: 430
    In spite of the overblown production design (that Easter sequence is ludicrous) and the heavy eyeliner worn by Annelle's boyfriend, I do enjoy Steel Magnolias. Where else will you see no less than four Oscar winning actresses sharing the screen without men?

  10. #30
    Senior Member fansam's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2013
    Posts: 1,800
    Quote Originally Posted by Blasty View Post
    Julia Roberts is really bad in this, but Daryl Hannah is even worse, of course and a complete trainwreck, so she doesn't seem so bad by comparison.

    That being said, it doesn't matter because the whole movie is obviously so much fun and the lines are so delicious and the rest of the cast is who is driving the thing anyway. Julia might as well be a pretty piece of southern cardboard in this, the others prop her up so much with their charm and gravitas. However, Julia is truly horrific at crying in this, that her diabetic overdrive scene becomes a camp classic thanks to this:



    But really, this scene is so incredibly overblown and melodramatic, from the scoring to how it's shot. Again, it's fun and delicious camp, for sure, but as great drama goes, this movie often blows it. Camp classic? Yes. Great Drama? Eh.

    I enjoy it in the same way I enjoy Mommie Dearest, basically. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But the movie really is overrated among those who try to claim it really is a great movie. The Oscars made the right choice in snubbing this in most categories.
    I agree that Julia is often bad at crying. Really bad.

    And yes I also enjoy SM because, how I see it, it's a comedy.

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date: Sep 2015
    Posts: 344
    Sally.

  12. #32
    Senior Member Caracolillos's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2010
    Posts: 356
    I love all the ladies in this movie. Sally is the best part but Julia is so lovely here, also Shirley & Olympia are hilarious.

  13. #33
    I'm into leather. Alvy Singer's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2014
    Location: McTeague's closeted ass
    Posts: 7,361
    This reminds me, a friend of mine went to the final performance of The Glass Menagerie on Sunday and brought his Steel Magnolias blu-ray for Sally to sign. He gave it to her and she said, "What is it with you boys and this movie?!"

  14. #34
    Senior Member Blasty's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2007
    Posts: 16,845
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheAisle View Post
    In spite of the overblown production design (that Easter sequence is ludicrous) and the heavy eyeliner worn by Annelle's boyfriend, I do enjoy Steel Magnolias. Where else will you see no less than four Oscar winning actresses sharing the screen without men?
    OMG I have never seen this verbalized before but it has distressed/fascinated me for years!!! As a kid, I was like WTF? OMG I never realized that was Kevin J. O'Connor in the role!!!! Mind blown! That explains my Largo-esque crush on him in the role.



    He used to be much more Blastylicious back then, I see!





Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •