• Olympia Dukakis

2 4.76%
  • Julia Roberts

10 23.81%
  • Other

1 2.38%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MVP of the Film #89: Steel Magnolias

How the f*** did Julia Roberts get more votes than Ouiser...?

I actually though Julia was the weak link, for me. She plays the big moments well, but the whole performance felt a bit incomplete to me. While the movie star was born here, it wasn't until Pretty Woman the next year that the actress also came to the surface.

Easy win for Sally, with also much love for Dolly and Olympia.

Julia Roberts is really bad in this, but Daryl Hannah is even worse, of course and a complete trainwreck, so she doesn't seem so bad by comparison.

That being said, it doesn't matter because the whole movie is obviously so much fun and the lines are so delicious and the rest of the cast is who is driving the thing anyway. Julia might as well be a pretty piece of southern cardboard in this, the others prop her up so much with their charm and gravitas. However, Julia is truly horrific at crying in this, that her diabetic overdrive scene becomes a camp classic thanks to this:

But really, this scene is so incredibly overblown and melodramatic, from the scoring to how it's shot. Again, it's fun and delicious camp, for sure, but as great drama goes, this movie often blows it. Camp classic? Yes. Great Drama? Eh.

I enjoy it in the same way I enjoy Mommie Dearest, basically. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But the movie really is overrated among those who try to claim it really is a great movie. The Oscars made the right choice in snubbing this in most categories.

Aww, the poll's closed. I would've voted for Sally.

Quote Originally Posted by Blasty View Post
    The Oscars made the right choice in snubbing this in most categories.

I agree that Julia's performance feels a bit incomplete somehow, but I feel like that had to do more with the writing, otherwise, she was really good.

Also, I didn't know the film was so sad. I thought it was a comedy!
    KATHY

presents

DUNKIRK - CARS 3 - ATOMIC BLONDE - SUBURBICON - DISOBEDIENCE

Javier Bardem - Michelle Pfeiffer - Kenneth Branagh - Woody Harrelson - Jason Mitchell - Sofia Boutella - Johnny Depp - Michael Keaton - Jacob Tremblay - Barry Keoghan

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Allorn View Post
    I agree that Julia's performance feels a bit incomplete somehow, but I feel like that had to do more with the writing, otherwise, she was really good.

Also, I didn't know the film was so sad. I thought it was a comedy!
    Well, I know I'm laughing during most of the hysterical "sad" scenes, so it's definitely a "comedy" to me!

And that includes

I really do blame the director and again, the way it's shot for most of my problems with the wildly shifting tones not working for me. I mean, the whole shaky cam here, how Sally's acting so frantic...it's all just too much. Too theatrical for anything but camp for me.

Aww, I thought it was a really heartbreaking scene. And I think one of the strengh of the film was how it was able to go from drama to comedy, vice versa. The scene in your gif for exemple, I was crying hard, but then, by the end, I was laughing, I thought it really managed to make it seem very real.
    KATHY

presents

DUNKIRK - CARS 3 - ATOMIC BLONDE - SUBURBICON - DISOBEDIENCE

Javier Bardem - Michelle Pfeiffer - Kenneth Branagh - Woody Harrelson - Jason Mitchell - Sofia Boutella - Johnny Depp - Michael Keaton - Jacob Tremblay - Barry Keoghan

I legit cry at the scene immediately after the demise of Juicey Roberts when Sally rushes out to be w/ her grandson...

In spite of the overblown production design (that Easter sequence is ludicrous) and the heavy eyeliner worn by Annelle's boyfriend, I do enjoy Steel Magnolias. Where else will you see no less than four Oscar winning actresses sharing the screen without men?
    Aisle be seeing you
    in all the old familiar places

Quote Originally Posted by Blasty View Post
    Julia Roberts is really bad in this, but Daryl Hannah is even worse, of course and a complete trainwreck, so she doesn't seem so bad by comparison.

That being said, it doesn't matter because the whole movie is obviously so much fun and the lines are so delicious and the rest of the cast is who is driving the thing anyway. Julia might as well be a pretty piece of southern cardboard in this, the others prop her up so much with their charm and gravitas. However, Julia is truly horrific at crying in this, that her diabetic overdrive scene becomes a camp classic thanks to this:

But really, this scene is so incredibly overblown and melodramatic, from the scoring to how it's shot. Again, it's fun and delicious camp, for sure, but as great drama goes, this movie often blows it. Camp classic? Yes. Great Drama? Eh.

I enjoy it in the same way I enjoy Mommie Dearest, basically. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But the movie really is overrated among those who try to claim it really is a great movie. The Oscars made the right choice in snubbing this in most categories.
    I agree that Julia is often bad at crying. Really bad.

And yes I also enjoy SM because, how I see it, it's a comedy.

Sally.

I love all the ladies in this movie. Sally is the best part but Julia is so lovely here, also Shirley & Olympia are hilarious.

This reminds me, a friend of mine went to the final performance of The Glass Menagerie on Sunday and brought his Steel Magnolias blu-ray for Sally to sign. He gave it to her and she said, "What is it with you boys and this movie?!"