Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 252930313233343536 LastLast

Thread: The Broadway Thread: Now let's not talk about Hamilton ever again

Des McAnuff Will Lead Donna Summer Bio-Musical To Broadway In April

SUMMER: The Donna Summer Musical will open on Broadway at the Nederlander Organization’s Lunt Fontanne Theatre on April 23, following previews slated to begin March 28. A developmental production of the new musical ends a twice-extended engagement at the La Jolla Playhouse on Christmas eve.

Featuring a book by Colman Domingo, Robert Cary and Des McAnuff, with songs by Donna Summer, Giorgio Moroder, Paul Jabara and others, the biotuner will be directed by McAnuff (The Who’s Tommy; The Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle) and choreographed by Sergio Trujillo (Memphis, On Your Feet!) with music supervised by Ron Melrose and scenic design by Robert Brill, costumes by Paul Tazewell, lighting by Howell Binkley, sound by Gareth Owen and projections by Sean Nieuwenhuis.
    AWCCCS

Proud and Profane Productions

Quote Originally Posted by Odette View Post
    I'm seeing this in February and am really looking forward to it.

Technicality no down boo over?! flibber's Avatar
    I guess it's not going to Broadway this season after all, but I saw Tracy Letts' The Minutes a few days ago and thought it was very funny and skillfully done until the ending totally lost me. Interested to see if it ever does transfer to New York.

Not Broadway, but Laura Linney is heading to the West End

Laura Linney to make London stage debut in My Name is Lucy Barton
    Richard Eyre to direct adaptation of 2016 novel at Bridge theatre

The author Elizabeth Stout had met Laura Linney and said were her book to be dramatised ‘there would be nobody better than Laura’.
    The US actor Laura Linney is to make her London stage debut in an adaptation of Elizabeth Strout’s My Name is Lucy Barton.

Nicholas Hytner’s Bridge theatre will announce on Wednesday that it has secured the first stage rights for the 2016 novel.

My Name is Lucy Barton is about a difficult reunion between a daughter living in Manhattan and her mother, who makes her first ever plane trip from rural Illinois to be at her side.

The adaptation by Rona Munro takes the form of a monologue, and will be directed by Richard Eyre, who revealed Strout had met Linney and said were her book to be dramatised “there would be nobody better than Laura”.

Linney is a hugely respected actor of stage, TV and film. She has recently starred in the Netflix’s crime drama Ozark, and has been nominated for an Oscar three times and has won three Emmys. For some, she will always be remembered as Mary Ann Singleton in the TV adaptations of Armistead Maupin’s Tales of the City.

Eyre directed Linney in the 2002 Broadway revival of The Crucible and has known her for 25 years. “There is something very plausible about Laura,” he said. “She is self-effacing and has a brilliant knack of playing ordinary people and gifting them with extraordinary qualities."
    Oh my god.... I need to go.

The Year of Nicole Kidman

Musical ‘Tootsie’ Toot-Toots To Broadway After Chi Tryout Next Fall

Not one to rest on his laurels, Broadway composer/lyricist David Yazbek will follow his acclaimed The Band’s Visit – which is selling out on Broadway and is certain to earn several Tony nominations this spring – with another film-to-musical adaptation. This one, however, has a somewhat more familiar title: Tootsie, Sydney Pollack’s 1982 comedy starring Dustin Hoffman as a struggling, truculent actor who finds fame and fortune in middle-age drag as the nascent feminist star of a soap opera.

Scott Ellis (She Loves Me) is set to direct. The Hoffman role, Michael Dorsey, aka Dorothy Michaels, will be played by Crazy Ex-Girlfriend‘s Santino Fontana, who also voiced Hans in Frozen and has appeared in a number of Broadway and off-Broadway shows, including Rodgers + Hammerstein’s Cinderella, Billy Elliot, Sunday in the Park with George and Brighton Beach Memoirs.

Scott Sanders Productions will produce the show, which has set a pre-Broadway run at Chicago’s Cadillac Palace Theatre beginning next September 11 and running through October 14. If all goes well, Sanders says, Tootsie will arrive on Broadway next spring.
    AWCCCS

David Morse, Bill Irwin And Michael Potts Sign On With Denzel Washington’s Broadway ‘Iceman’

Casting is complete for director George C. Wolfe‘s Broadway revival of The Iceman Cometh, starring current Oscar nominee Denzel Washington as Eugene O’Neill’s pipe-dream busting salesman Theodore Hickman, aka Hickey.

It’s a starry bunch who will populate the grim premises of Harry Hope’s Greenwich Village dive. In addition to Tammy Blanchard, the downtown denizens will include Colm Meaney (Star Trek) as Harry, David Morse (Blindspot) as Larry Slade, Tony winner Bill Irwin (Rachel Getting Married) as Ed Mosher, Michael Potts (Madame Secretary) as Joe Mott and Frank Wood (Detroit) as Cecil Lewis, along with Carolyn Braver, Austin Butler, Joe Forbrich, Nina Grollman, Thomas Michael Hammond, Neal Huff, Danny Mastrogiorgio, Dakin Matthews, Jack McGee, Clark Middleton and Reg Rogers.

The creative team includes multiple Tony winners Santo Loquasto (Scenic Design), Ann Roth (Costume Design) and Jules Fisher & Peggy Eisenhauer (Lighting Design).

Rehearsals are set to begin Monday, with previews beginning March 22 and official opening on April 26 at the Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre. Iceman is one of three major revivals this spring that Scott Rudin is producing, along with Carousel and Three Tall Women.
    AWCCCS

Great cast and Frank Wood won a tony the season Iceman Cometh was last on broadway.

I can't say I'm a fan of Tootsie, but Yazbeck writing the score, Ellis directing, and Fontana starring sounds like a dream of a creative team, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

AWCCCS

In other news, I went on a ticket-buying rampage this weekend for spring shows, and it's just ridiculous how prohibitively expensive B'way has gotten. It used to be that you could find reasonably priced mezzanine seats in the $60-80 range. But for Boys in the Band, for instance, the worst seat in the entire house will still cost you $125 before fees. I mean, I know the gays gotta eat, but seriously...

Head Over Heels, Featuring Songs of the Go-Go's, Is Headed to Broadway

Head Over Heels, a new musical comedy featuring the songs of the Go-Go's, will open on Broadway at the Hudson Theatre on Thursday, July 26, with previews beginning on Saturday, June 23. Before its Broadway premiere, the musical will play a limited engagement at San Francisco's Curran Theatre, April 10-May 6, with opening night set for Wednesday, April 18.

Based on Sir Philip Sidney's The Arcadia, Head Over Heels is described as "an unpredictable, Elizabethan romp about a royal family that must prevent an oracle's prophecy of doom. In order to save their beloved kingdom, the family embarks on an extravagant journey wrought with mistaken identities, jealous lovers, sexual awakening, scandal and self-discovery, where everything (and everyone) is not quite what it seems."

Hit songs from the Go-Go's include "We Got the Beat," "Get Up and Go," "Cool Jerk," "Vacation," "Our Lips Are Sealed," "Lust to Love," "Head Over Heels," and the Belinda Carlisle solo hits "Mad About You" and "Heaven Is a Place on Earth."

Under the direction of Michael Mayer, Head Over Heels will feature musical supervision, orchestrations, and arrangements by Tom Kitt and choreography by Spencer Liff. The musical features an original book by Jeff Whitty and is adapted by James Magruder. The rest of the creative team includes Julian Crouch (scenic and puppet design), Arianne Phillips (costume design), Kevin Adams (lighting design), Kai Harada (sound design), and Andrew Lazarow (projections design), with Kimberly Grigsby as musical director and Lisa Iacucci as production stage manager.
    AWCCCS

It's civil rights. This is the 90s. Donezo's Avatar
    Jesus, we've officially hit the bottom of the jukebox musical barrel, haven't we.

NYFCC WINNER

Ur faves could never.

Harry Connick Jr To Star In ‘The Sting’ Musical Eyeing Broadway

Harry Connick Jr has been set to star in The Sting, a new musical in the works that will have its world premiere next month at New Jersey’s Paper Mill Playhouse, with the producers eyeing a Broadway transfer. The musical, based on the 1973 Oscar-winning Universal film, is set for a limited run March 29-April 29.

Connick will play Henry Gondorff, portrayed by Paul Newman in the feature film, which was set in 1930s Chicago and centers on a pair of con men — small-town grifter Johnny Hooker (played in the film by Robert Redford) and hustler Gondorff — who plot to bring down the city’s most corrupt racketeer. Directed by George Roy Hill, the movie won Oscars for Best Film along with director, screenplay (David S. Ward), costumes (Edith Head), editing (William Reynolds) and the ragtime-y score by Marvin Hamlisch.

As first revealed back in 2014, the musical’s book is by Bob Martin, with music and lyrics by Mark Hollmann & Greg Kotis with Connick. The producers also said the score will contain music by Scott Joplin including “The Entertainer.” Warren Carlyle is the choreographer and John Rando is directing. The rest of the musical’s cast is still to be announced.
    AWCCCS

What a happy day it is! Elliott?'s Avatar
    Pronoun(s): He/him
    That’s a strong creative team for The Sting but I won’t be optimistic.

Jeff Daniels, Celia Keenan-Bolger to Star in Broadway's To Kill a Mockingbird

Celia is one of my faves, so I'll forget about my Sorkin allergy and go see this.

Pronoun(s): He/Him
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvy Singer View Post
    Jeff Daniels, Celia Keenan-Bolger to Star in Broadway's To Kill a Mockingbird

Celia is one of my faves, so I'll forget about my Sorkin allergy and go see this.
    Stephen McKinley and Phyllis Somerville as well!!!!! Just wish I liked Jeff Daniels more. Atticus? I'll suck it up for the rest of the cast.

Quote Originally Posted by CINNAMON View Post
    Stephen McKinley and Phyllis Somerville as well!!!!! Just wish I liked Jeff Daniels more. Atticus? I'll suck it up for the rest of the cast.
    I've always liked him better on stage than on screen, if it's any consolation! He was marvelous in Blackbird, most recently.

Technicality no down boo over?! flibber's Avatar
    In this telling is Scout Finch 40 years old?

Quote Originally Posted by flibber View Post
    In this telling is Scout Finch 40 years old?
    Well, older Scout narrates the book, so I assume they could take the same approach here.