User Tag List

Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4044454647484950

Thread: The Broadway Thread: Now let's not talk about Hamilton ever again

What a happy day it is! Elliott?'s Avatar
    Pronoun(s): He/him
    Precursors end up meaning very little with the Tonys. You can sometimes glean some patterns, but for the most part, the Tonys are their own thing. SpongeBob is likely second in the Musical race, but I have faith Band’s Visit wins.

Quote Originally Posted by steve4922 View Post
    I assume everyone knows that "The Band's Visit" wasn't eligible for the Drama Desks this year because it was nominated for 7 awards (and won 3) last year. So SpongeBob will not dominate the Tonys.

[ETA: I see that Elliott? already said that.]
    Oh I’d also like to point out that Band’s Visit winning THREE last year was a big deal. Off-Broadway doesn’t always fare well when it comes to wins at the Drama Desks, so that’s worth noting.

And Fey winning Book is very, very likely. Even if Band’s Visit wins Musical, Actress, Score, and a Design award or orchestrations, Fey feels like one of the safest bets of the night. Not quite Glenda Jackson or Harry Potter winning Play, but more certain than something like Director of a Musical.

Safest bets, imo: Jackson, Potter, Yazbek, Slater, Garfield, Justin Peck in Choreography, Fey. I feel good about Lenk beating out Ambrose. In featured/musical, I’m stuck between Butz and Lee, and Mendez and Park.

Oh also! Some not super fun facts. If Lenk and Band’s Visit both win on Sunday, it’ll be the first time since Marissa Jaret Winokur won for Hairspray in 2003 that there was overlap between Actress and Best Musical. They’ve overlapped only one other time since 2000, the year prior when Sutton Foster won for Thoroughly Modern Millie. Compare that to the NINE times Best Musical and Best Actor have overlapped since 2000. Plus, Lenk winning would be the second time since 2010 that Best Actress went to a new musical, not a revival. The only other role from a new musical? Carole King.

Technicality no down boo over?! flibber's Avatar
    The My Fair Lady recording is fire.

Quote Originally Posted by flibber View Post
    Seriously. Sherr always does an amazing job ensuring those LCT recordings are gorgeously produced. Listening back has me hopeful Ambrose will pull off the win. I'm predicting her as of right now. It's the rare confluence of vocal performance, acting, and role that marry so perfectly.
    Last edited by Alvy Singer; 06-08-2018 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvy Singer View Post
    Seriously. Sherr always does an amazing job ensuring those LCT recordings are gorgeously produced. Listening back has me hopeful Ambrose will pull off the win. I'm predicting her as of right now. It's the rare confluence of vocal performance, acting, and role that marry so perfectly.
    I think Katrina Lenk will win this. I haven't seen MFL yet, but Lenk was also superb in a tricky role.

I think it'll be close, as evidenced by that NYT poll. But who knows!

Also, the Carousel album is on Spotify and as much as I was flummoxed by some of the choices in the production, the recording is downright gorgeous.

I think it'll be close, as evidenced by that NYT poll.
    Um, Lenk got 65% of the vote in the NY Times poll.

Um, Lenk got 65% of the vote in the NY Times poll.
    I thought it'd be much higher, given how some have acted like she's a lock.

The Oppression Represses Me Andy Hall's Avatar
    She basically is a lock, though, right?

Ambrose would be a much more inspired choice, but I'm prepping myself for The Band's Snoozefest to dominate -- and then close sometime late next year.

Eh, I'm here for both Lenk and Ambrose.

Quote Originally Posted by flibber View Post
    Streaming here for now.

I thought it'd be much higher, given how some have acted like she's a lock.
    It is extremely unlikely that someone could lose with 65% of the vote and 1/8 of the votes known. If the voters were selected randomly, that race is over.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianFan View Post
    It is extremely unlikely that someone could lose with 65% of the vote and 1/8 of the votes known. If the voters were selected randomly, that race is over.
    The Times talked to 110 of the 842 Tony voters. The article doesn't say how the 110 voters were selected; it may just be the voters that were willing to talk to them, so I doubt this is any sort of scientific random sample.

Daniel Radcliffe Sets Broadway Return In ‘The Lifespan Of A Fact’; Cherry Jones, Bobby Cannavale To Co-Star

Daniel Radcliffe, Cherry Jones and Bobby Cannavale will return to Broadway next fall to star in the world premiere play The Lifespan of a Fact. Based on the critically acclaimed, bestselling 2012 non-fiction book about fact, fiction and blurred lines, Lifespan will be directed by Leigh Silverman, a 2014 Tony nominee for her direction of Violet.

The Lifespan of a Fact will begin performances at the Studio 54 on Broadway theater Thursday, September 20, with an opening night of Thursday, October 18. The limited engagement will run for 16 weeks.

Written by Jeremy Kareken & David Murrell and Gordon Farrell, the play is based on the book by John D’Agata and Jim Fingal that detailed their own real-life journalistic investigation into the suicide of a Las Vegas teen.

Kerry Washington & Steven Pasquale Set Broadway Returns In New ‘American Son’

Scandal‘s Kerry Washington and Rescue Me‘s Steven Pasquale will team up for their Broadway returns next fall in American Son, a new play by Broadway newcomer Christopher Demos-Brown.

Directing will be Kenny Leon, who won a Tony Award for 2014’s A Raisin in the Sun starring Denzel Washington. Leon most recently directed the Broadway revival Children of a Lesser God.

The play is set in a Florida police station in the middle of the night, with a mother searching for her missing teenage son, and is described by the production as “a gripping tale of two parents caught in our national divide, with their worst fears hanging in the balance.”

The Ben Lyons of AW Sara Allorn's Avatar
    Pronoun(s): She/Her
    So, i know it's not Broadway, but i think it still goes in this thread ? I saw Wicked, in London, and it was my first musical ever

It was a lot of fun. I think for a first musical, it was a good choice. I had a little trouble understanding some of the lyrics at times, but otherwise, i was able to follow the whole story (which was a concern of mine before going). It's not a terribly deep story, but it's fun and colorful, the stage was gorgeous and impressive, and Defying Gravity gave me chills, and i was impressed by the cast (the actress who played Glenda was really funny). I wouldn't say i suddenly found my passion or anything, but i would love to see another musical next time i come to London.

Me, when Toni Colette gets awards traction while the Superior Scream Queen of 2018 doesn’t

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Allorn View Post
    So, i know it's not Broadway, but i think it still goes in this thread ? I saw Wicked, in London, and it was my first musical ever

It was a lot of fun. I think for a first musical, it was a good choice. I had a little trouble understanding some of the lyrics at times, but otherwise, i was able to follow the whole story (which was a concern of mine before going). It's not a terribly deep story, but it's fun and colorful, the stage was gorgeous and impressive, and Defying Gravity gave me chills, and i was impressed by the cast (the actress who played Glenda was really funny). I wouldn't say i suddenly found my passion or anything, but i would love to see another musical next time i come to London.
    Or you can see your next in New York

Nice! Wicked was my best friend's first show too. I want to say 2006. She was obsessed with it and has been to many shows since. My first was Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark.

Did you want to see the Harry Potter play too?

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Allorn View Post

WARNING: This could become addictive. God knows how much I've spent on theater tickets over the years.

The Ben Lyons of AW Sara Allorn's Avatar
    Pronoun(s): She/Her
    WARNING: This could become addictive. God knows how much I've spent on theater tickets over the years.
    I guess it's good musicals aren't a big thing in France

I wanna try to see Chicago or The Book of Mormon, hopefully they'll still have showings when i come back to London.

And ugh @24Emmy, i wanted to see the HP play but i don't think it's showing right now. This fall i'll definitely try. It wasn't very good (but fun) when i reaf it but i heard it's way better live.

Me, when Toni Colette gets awards traction while the Superior Scream Queen of 2018 doesn’t

The Oppression Represses Me Andy Hall's Avatar
    You should check out The King & I in London. It's a beautiful production featuring what I thought was Kelli O'Hara's best performance. Ken Watanabe was awesome too.

Michael Jackson Musical Slated For Broadway Run In 2020

The Michael Jackson estate and Columbia Stage are developing a musical based on the King of Pop’s catalog, adding one more jukebox show to the Broadway boards.

Lynn Nottage, a Pulitzer Prize winner for her plays Ruined and Sweat, will write the show’s book. The choreography and direction will be handled by Christopher Wheeldon, a Tony Award winner for An American in Paris.

The project adds to a growing roster of jukebox musicals hitting Broadway of late. The past season brought shows built on the music of Jimmy Buffett and Donna Summer. Upcoming are shows based on the Go-Gos and Cher. Possible Broadway entries are in the offing for the Temptations, Tina Turner and Alanis Morrissette. A Bob Dylan-based show has an Off-Broadway run set for the fall.