Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: The "Okja" Thread: double the Tilda, double the fun!

Quote Originally Posted by EOLB View Post
    Goodfella, do you have to swear in every post?

Anyway, I'm so happy with these reviews!
    I promise I will try my best, just for you, not to swear in a post ever for the next 39 days
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodfella View Post
    Jlaw stans will say red sparrow
    Quote Originally Posted by tyjagi View Post
    attack Jennifer Lawrence again

On the one hand, I think being inherently against streaming services being in the movie biz is indeed a bit elitist, but on the other hand, I am not at all a fan of Netflix's current approach to handling their films, which basically entails giving the slightest of marketing campaigns for the film, maaaaybe a one-sheet poster, then throw it up on their website and hope their subscribers find it. Having a proper theatrical release window, even one where it only maybe makes a few hundred thousand dollars, still makes it feel a little more legitimate. This is where Amazon is greatly out-stripping Netflix and doing stuff right, so the fact that their logo is also getting booed is, frankly, bullshit. They're playing the game a lot better than Netflix, and don't really deserve to get lumped in there.

Anyway, super-excited by these reactions! I was mixed on The Host when I first watched it, really enjoyed Mother despite being rather lengthy, and loved Snowpiercer, so I'm very pumped for this.

Guys, don't miss his masterpiece memories of murder though
    Jlaw stans will say red sparrow
    Quote Originally Posted by tyjagi View Post
    attack Jennifer Lawrence again

Always Be Excellent to Each Other Howard Beale's Toothpaste's Avatar
    the pretentious elitism is reaching off the charts levels.

I think booing at movies is immature and churlish to begin with, so it's no surprise McTeague is down with it! the way I understand it, Netflix got fucked over by insane French laws. I'm not a huge fan of Netflix's release strategy, and it obviously doomed Beasts of No Nation, to give an example. But at the same time, Netflix is taking chances that no traditional studio will take, and they have the money to throw around to fund unique artistic visions that may find more of an audience on streaming than they ever would in a traditional theater setting. And, as far as I can tell, it seems like Okja will get a theater run in the US, and I expect in a number of other territories that don't have bonkers laws.
    I understand the anti-Netflix position, and it has good reason behind it, but the booing is delegitimizing.
    Amazon is doing a better job for sure, but booing is the sort of shit that always causes people to double down, and thinking it accomplishes anything is the same sort of mindset as verbally lashing someone you care about to get them to change their behavior. In neither case does it work, and in both cases it's awful social etiquette.

Guys, don't miss his masterpiece memories of murder though
    This!

It and The Chaser are two of my favorite Korean movies, and one of the best thrillers I have a pleasure to watch.

And in this dispute i'm firmly on #TeamNetflix for the reasons both Cucu and Tuli stated.

The poster for this film basically says, "Corporations don't care about people. Enjoy your Big Pig until we kill it for maximal profits." The film is a spoiler for the effects of their distribution plans on cinemas. At least they're honest! But also the villain?
    “Truth, like light, blinds. Falsehood, on the contrary, is a beautiful twilight that enhances every object.”

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Beale's Toothpaste View Post
    the pretentious elitism is reaching off the charts levels.

I think booing at movies is immature and churlish to begin with, so it's no surprise McTeague is down with it! the way I understand it, Netflix got fucked over by insane French laws. I'm not a huge fan of Netflix's release strategy, and it obviously doomed Beasts of No Nation, to give an example. But at the same time, Netflix is taking chances that no traditional studio will take, and they have the money to throw around to fund unique artistic visions that may find more of an audience on streaming than they ever would in a traditional theater setting. And, as far as I can tell, it seems like Okja will get a theater run in the US, and I expect in a number of other territories that don't have bonkers laws.
    I understand the anti-Netflix position, and it has good reason behind it, but the booing is delegitimizing.
    Amazon is doing a better job for sure, but booing is the sort of shit that always causes people to double down, and thinking it accomplishes anything is the same sort of mindset as verbally lashing someone you care about to get them to change their behavior. In neither case does it work, and in both cases it's awful social etiquette.
    Lol. Really, lol.

What's new, Americans talking out of their asses about how the French are crazy, their rules (that don't let their American corporations to swallow the market whole) terrible and adding accusations of elitism along the way. I guess you were among the ones who called French fries "Liberty fries" when France opposed the invasion of Iraq, yes?

Pray tell, legal and economy expert, what do you know about the French law and the European film market to sustain your position?

Because you don't understand what we're talking about it doesn't mean we're elitist, it just means you're ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by ejvs_10 View Post

Blunt Force

Lily Collins looks like a Bratz doll wtf.

Jake looks so perfect ayy dios!

Such a pretty monolith... Aaron Leggo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by erikdean View Post
    Lily Collins looks like a Bratz doll wtf.
    I was going to say a really beautiful statue, but Bratz doll works too, I guess. She looks strangely frozen either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Leggo View Post
    I was going to say a really beautiful statue, but Bratz doll works too, I guess. She looks strangely frozen either way.
    Mostly it's that she's terrifyingly doll-skinny.

Such a pretty monolith... Aaron Leggo's Avatar
    Ah yes, that makes sense, too! But everyone in that photo looks like they're naturally posing for a photo and she looks like someone did the posing for her and then shot her with a freeze ray. It's an odd photo. Jake looks human, though!

Has Lily Collins ever looked more bland and basic? So close to Queen Tilda she's just absolutely minimized lol.

I think Lily Collins is beautiful. Like legit the most classically beautiful actress of her generation.

But it goes to show how literal goddesses like Tilda can overshadow even the most stunning of beauties. Ethereal queen
    Au revoir, lessers... it's time for the urn.

Quote Originally Posted by McTeague View Post
    Lol. Really, lol.

What's new, Americans talking out of their asses about how the French are crazy, their rules (that don't let their American corporations to swallow the market whole) terrible and adding accusations of elitism along the way. I guess you were among the ones who called French fries "Liberty fries" when France opposed the invasion of Iraq, yes?

Pray tell, legal and economy expert, what do you know about the French law and the European film market to sustain your position?

Because you don't understand what we're talking about it doesn't mean we're elitist, it just means you're ignorant.
    Also, Maurice Pialat film Under The Sun of Satan enjoyed worst boos than this, so it's pretty standard for Cannes.

that's a great pic

Quote Originally Posted by cocktailqueen View Post
    I think Lily Collins is beautiful. Like legit the most classically beautiful actress of her generation.
    I think she's a good actress and great in Stuck in Love, but "most classically beautiful actress of her generation"? Aly Michalka!