Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 913141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Random Video Game Thoughts 3: My Face Is Tired

I don't know why but I completely missed the fact that Zelda: BotW was also released on the Wii U. I may check it out now although I don't really play Zelda games.

After all this buzz about the new Mass Effect game, I decided to finally try it out (Mass Effect 3: Special Edition on the Wii U) since that's my main gaming system (aside from an old Wii and a 2DS). Seems pretty fun so far, and I'm glad there was a "Story" mode option, cause combat is waaaay too much for me to handle.
    Ring the Alarm.

Sandra Oh in Catfight.

So MEA flopped critically, by far BioWare's worst metascore ever. This is probably the end of the franchise if it doesn't deliver commercially (I am not sure what will happen, the WOM is terrible outside of the fandom and this isn't CoD).

This also feels like the backlash against the BioWare's game design that somehow didn't happen at Dragon Age Inquisition's release. They need to change their formula because it looks like the gaming community don't want MMO-esque open world RPGs from them.

I will still play it later, because I like the franchise, but I will go with Nier Automata and Persona 5 for the next month (or for the whole year, P5 will never end )
    Last edited by Vektor; 03-20-2017 at 04:12 AM.

A few tidbits from numerous reviews which caught my interest:

In many ways, Andromeda feels like a vision half-fulfilled. It contains a dizzying amount of content, but the quality fluctuates wildly. Its worlds and combat shine, but its writing and missions falter--and the relative strength of the former is not enough to compensate for the inescapable weakness of the latter. As a Mass Effect game, Andromeda falls well short of the nuanced politics, morality, and storytelling of its predecessors. For me, the series has always been about compelling characters and harrowing choices, so to find such weak writing here is bitterly disappointing.
    Crafting isn't Andromeda's biggest time-waster, however. That would be its tedious missions. Far too many open world quests--even some that feel important or come packaged in an interesting premise--devolve into multistep "go here, hit a button" errands. There's always another navpoint somewhere across the map or an NPC who needs exactly three items or a crucial datapad that's unexpectedly missing when you arrive. I frequently felt like an intergalactic errand boy, mindlessly scanning everything in sight so my omniscience AI partner could do whatever the situation required and give me a new waypoint to reach.

I frequently felt like an intergalactic errand boy, mindlessly scanning everything in sight.
    These missions aren't all bad, per se, but they desperately needed some editing--or at least a wider variety of gameplay scenarios. Forcing players to repeat the exact same action three times or drive across the map to interact with one prompt isn't fun--it's padding. The campaign and crew loyalty missions provide better crafted experiences, but there's no avoiding at least some of the unimaginative tedium, especially since you rarely receive enough information upfront to really know what you're getting into.
    http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/mass.../1900-6416638/

Your crew, meanwhile, is a fairly generic band made up almost entirely of existing Mass Effect humans and aliens, which despite their fairly deep and enjoyable backstories, always gave me feelings of deja vu. After all, how many times can we be introduced to a gruff new krogan warrior or an eyepiece-wearing turian? There’s nothing really wrong with them, but none struck me as memorable stars like Garrus, Tali, or Mordin. Peebee is probably the best of the cast thanks to her quirky humor and tendency to bicker with her fellow asari, Lexi. But the rest seem too comfortable with each other to be all that interesting in the way we saw with Wrex threatening to tear the team apart in the original Mass Effect. Everyone getting along, for the most part, is a little boring, regardless of how flirty and naked they get.
    On that note, Mass Effect: Andromeda is more than a little rough in the technical sense. On PlayStation 4 and Xbox One (I’ve yet to spend significant time with the PC version), it’s prone to major frame rate drops and hitches regardless of what’s happening on screen. I’ve seen it drop to slideshow levels when simply walking around the Nexus (the Citadel-like seat of government), driving through a flat wasteland, and fighting in a dense jungle. Animation glitches seem more common than in previous games. And, though some bugs are to be expected in a game of this scale, between myself and a few other players at IGN we’ve seen a fair share of broken quests.
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/03/...dromeda-review

In some respects, Andromeda is most disappointing when it's at its best. There's a mission in the opening third that conjures up the spectre of Virmire - a raid on a kett facility, accompanied by a crack squad of angaran guerrillas. The shift in mood and focus is faintly miraculous: the music kicks up, the bugs ease off, the dialogue straightens out of its slouch and the combat goes into overdrive. There are familiar but pleasantly ghoulish secrets to uncover, rooms to comb for hints about kett society, and a couple of heated, deftly worded interactions with companions that genuinely get your blood pumping.

It's gripping stuff, and a reminder of the greatness of the Mass Effect trilogy - its intelligent reworkings of pulp sci-fi cliche, the taut splendour of its scenarios and aesthetic, the colour and dexterity of its writing. All that's still in here somewhere, I think. But then you pop out the other end of the mission, back into Andromeda's labyrinth of drudgery and obfuscation, and remember that you're a long way from home.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...fect-andromeda

The plot problems bleed into the overall mood of the game. At times, this feels like a bizarre take on Mass Effect. Too many characters are relentlessly upbeat and positive. A new beginning is an angle brimming with hope, sure, but not nearly enough people approach this scenario with believable trepidation, caution, and concern.

Tonal issues are a major problem until Mass Effect: Andromeda narrows its scope enough to focus on one thing. (I can't get over an early talk where a Krogan essentially hand-waved the Genophage away under the logic that it was a long time ago and let bygones be bygones.) Unchecked optimism permeates too much of this game. It's all so vanilla.

The reviews are mixed at best.
    https://www.destructoid.com/review-m...a-424694.phtml

Mass Effect Andromeda feels like a game that exists because there needed to be a new Mass Effect game. It’s hard, as deeply as you explore it, to find something that shows any other reason for it to be. Despite the extraordinary opportunity of a fresh start, fresh characters, and even a fresh galaxy to set it in, this feels like a lengthy rehash of what came before. It is bad in many ways, from its madcap AI, poor character faces, dated design and most of all, horrible writing, but its biggest crime is just how unavoidably, all-encompassingly dull it is for so, so many hours.
    What unites all these different features is the most unrelentingly dull writing, cliches and aphorisms pouring out like the waterfalls they’d use as an analogy in this sentence. Every chat lasts three times longer than it needs to, and they’re achingly boring from casual encounters to the deepest moments in relationships. I cannot explain this better than by giving a lengthy example from one moment in the first few hours, a chat about the potentially complex and messy subject of faith.

One member of your crew, a scientist, reveals to you that she believes in God. Now, this is old territory for Mass Effect, where in the first game you had a right-wing Christian on your crew, and it was handled especially well. Not so this time! This is genuinely the conversation:

“Just all of it. So alien. A constant reminder of the divine intelligence behind all creation.”

“Divine intelligence? A god?”

“Yes, I believe in a higher power. I know it’s a little odd. But I’m a scientist because science brings me closer to something greater than myself.”

To this you are given two possible responses. Beyond all credibility, they are:

“I feel the same way.”
    Or
    “There’s no higher power.”

What the hell? You’re given the choice of either emphatically agreeing that you too believe in God, or you rudely tell a woman you barely know that her faith is bullshit. Honestly, I was tempted just to walk away from the game than be forced into picking one of those two answers. But I went for the former, since at least it wasn’t rude, and I was trying to flirt with her anyway. She expresses her pleasure that someone else agrees that it’s possible to believe in science and God at the same time, and then in what must be one of the worst lines of dialogue in gaming history, your character’s option of a flirting reply is:

“You definitely have an interesting perspective on the interplay between faith and science.”

This isn’t how people speak.
    Bugs will, I’m sure, be fixed over the coming weeks, and maybe if enough people ask they could ditch the UI and start from scratch on something that works. But it won’t be able to remove that ennui that weighs down so heavily over its formulaic tale, especially after its daft ending.

I’ve a very strong feeling that people are going to buy this anyway, and many will milk from it what they can in order to feel rewarded. That’s great. But as a follow-up to the previous trilogy, it’s a timid and tepid tale too heavily reliant on what came before, too unambitious for what could have been, trapped in a gargantuan playground of bits and pieces to do.
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...romeda-review/

Like I said, it's Mass Effect: Inquisition. I hope it'll serve as a much needed wake-up call for both Bioware apologists and EA itself.

That being said, I expect a juicy documentary about what exactly went behind the scenes.

Here's to the ones who dream
    Foolish as they may seem

I know it's hard to tell from a 10 hour trial, but I think Mass Effect Andromeda is really fun (albeit with some really annoying save/checkpoint issues). A great update to the franchise, but alas the knives were out for Bioware. Kind of sad how the same people who overhyped Inquisition are the ones now dragging it and anything remotely similar to it. My other problem with the reviews is that there's some crazy hypocrisy in, on one hand, the game not being exactly like the original trilogy, and on the other, the game being criticized for things that were also present in the original trilogy. Since when was Mass Effect known to have realistic or grounded dialogue?

Criticisms seem to be similar with that of Dragon Age Inquisition which I had fun playing years back. So if it's anything like Inquisition then i'll be satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangereux View Post
    I know it's hard to tell from a 10 hour trial, but I think Mass Effect Andromeda is really fun (albeit with some really annoying save/checkpoint issues). A great update to the franchise, but alas the knives were out for Bioware. Kind of sad how the same people who overhyped Inquisition are the ones now dragging it and anything remotely similar to it. My other problem with the reviews is that there's some crazy hypocrisy in, on one hand, the game not being exactly like the original trilogy, and on the other, the game being criticized for things that were also present in the original trilogy. Since when was Mass Effect known to have realistic or grounded dialogue?
    So much this. As somebody literally playing through the original ME trilogy right now, it's clear some people definitely have rose colored glasses on. Don't get me wrong: I'm loving the shit out of it.

But the facial animations (the cutscenes in general) are just as plagued with problems as nearly any of the stuff currently making the rounds in gifs or youtube vids, and the writing is pure pulp with characters that fit into very, very broad archetypes.

Sl-hay-ing the Lessers

I remember not being that big of a fan of the first Mass Effect I mean I enjoyed it but it was a really flawed game. The story wasn't really that interesting until the last third and the combat and menu interface had some problems.

I did love Mass Effect 2 though and Mass Effect 3 was fine and it's ending was it's only real problem, albeit a big one.

Quote Originally Posted by kupo View Post
    So much this. As somebody literally playing through the original ME trilogy right now, it's clear some people definitely have rose colored glasses on. Don't get me wrong: I'm loving the shit out of it.

But the facial animations (the cutscenes in general) are just as plagued with problems as nearly any of the stuff currently making the rounds in gifs or youtube vids, and the writing is pure pulp with characters that fit into very, very broad archetypes.
    Maybe they liked the writing more because the original trilogy was more serious? It seems like MEA has a more light-hearted tone, and that makes the writing mistakes and cheesy dialogues more apparent for the gaming community.

But this would be hilarious, if it's true, because everybody LOVED the Citadel DLC, which was the cheesiest fanservice content ever in video gaming, and the only comedic part of the really dark ME3.
    Last edited by Vektor; 03-20-2017 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vektor View Post
    Yay, so they finally have a male gay alien romance option in a Mass Effect game for the first time ever. When you think about that players already had a lesbian alien romance option in the first game (just to convince straight male players to play as female)... Even if the story isn't as good as in the original trilogy, this is a positive change in the" squad relationship/romance" system.
    Well, I was wrong: https://www.reddit.com/r/masseffect/...romance_guide/

So no male gay romance option in the squad and once again only female main characters can be bisexual, the fans won't be happy about this.

Sapiosexuality is REAL The Sapient's Avatar
    I loved DA:I, so it is very likely I will enjoy MEA. I also just finished DA:I last week, so I guess I'm in no rush.

There was leaked footage from MEA last year, here's the comparison with the final cutscene: https://my.mixtape.moe/yugchn.mp4

Let's just ignore the huge graphical downgrade (which almost always happens during development), and focus on the enormous difference between the facial animations. It looks like something went horribly wrong during the optimalization, and ruined the animators' work in the last year of the development.

Well, I was wrong: https://www.reddit.com/r/masseffect/...romance_guide/

So no male gay romance option in the squad and once again only female main characters can be bisexual, the fans won't be happy about this.
    When am I gonna get some dood on alien dood action?

(actually, I've watched a bit of the Gil stuff, and he seems fun. I'll prolly be quite satisfied romancing him)

I think on my next play through of the original trilogy I'm gonna be femShep and have ALL THE ONE NIGHT STANDS!

Sl-hay-ing the Lessers

I don't even care about aliens.

Just let me have sex with the black dude one time, please. Jacob and Liam both being straight

That's it, I'm buying ME: Andromeda.

Here's to the ones who dream
    Foolish as they may seem

Quote Originally Posted by Heroesrule99 View Post
    I don't even care about aliens.

Just let me have sex with the black dude one time, please. Jacob and Liam both being straight
    I played Mass Effect with femshep so I got to do Jacob

This is where Dragon Age 2 shines, your character can romance anyone who can be romanced.

Just to mention something other than MEA here, David OReilly's (developer of Mountain, animation director of Her) new "game" is out today, and it's... something.

Ugh I have absolutely no idea if I should buy MEA

Just to mention something other than MEA here, David OReilly's (developer of Mountain, animation director of Her) new "game" is out today, and it's... something.

What is that? Although I remember I had the same pessimism with Jonathan Blow's The Witness and it turn out great, so maybe I shouldn't judge too harsh. On the other note, even without playing ME:A (boooooo, no gay character, gonna wait for a year) there's so much game that I have to finish and really good, I haven't watch a single movie for 1 week. Also on 23rd March Balthier will be added to World of Final Fantasy!!! Which probably means I'm not going to watch any movie for 2 consecutive weeks (FEUD is not a movie )

You are either an actor, or you aren't #LeadActressOscarNominee #HUPPERT2017

Quote Originally Posted by Kid View Post

What is that?
    It's probably just another experimental "game" from David OReilly', like his previous "game", just on a bigger scale.

Like Montain, a "game" that didn't have any real gameplay, it was just... a mountain... simulator?

Quote Originally Posted by Largo View Post
    So my roommate and I are considering buying a Switch, but we've heard some conflicting things about its main selling point for us, the portability. We work a lot - I generally put in 12 hour days including commute, and she works a rotating schedule with children as an educator, so when we're home, neither one of us is really keen on monopolizing the TV. She has an Xbox One, and honestly, the games I play aren't released for that system (not a whole lot of visual novels or JRPGs, even though I did enjoy watching her play the new Tomb Raider).

I've heard everything from the portability being amazing and I can take my Switch on the train and have super fun for days, to I need a battery pack to make it last for more than an hour. We were going to hold off on purchasing until Mario Kart anyways, because nothing says "party house" like Mario Kart and that's the goal, but the only consistent criticism I've heard is "don't use the kickstand", which is something I fear doing on all my devices anyways. Inputs, o great game enclave of AW?
    The battery pack is bs. I'm playing on the portable version all the time and the console lasts a bit more than 3 hours everytime. And it's with Zelda, which probably will be the heaviest game of the console for quite some time. Plus, with a cable, you can play without using the battery. I mean, a lot of trains have electrical outlets these days. So you can play far from home while being plugged too.