Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1216171819202122

Thread: Random Video Game Thoughts 3: My Face Is Tired

Drop that ass 'fore it crash Largo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Critix View Post
    Um. Save their game from what?
    I mean, I've enjoyed the shit out of watching my roommate play it, even if it's not my type of game. I've been watching her for 15 hours - ish and seen all of ONE glitch.

I've watched tons of MEA footage on youtube at this point, and it looks...very Mass Effect-ish.

Like I said, the quality of writing with the original series wasn't exactly literary (it was effective for what it was aiming for--pulp--but not sophisticated), and the original trilogy is full of glitches. Lol, in one of the cutscenes I watched a few days ago, Liara simply blipped out of existence, so the camera remained fixed on empty space while I listened to her talk. During the bedroom scene with Kaidan, only the whites of his eyes were visible half of the time. I just don't see that great a difference in quality, based on what I've seen. (Now, we could argue that fact in-and-of-itself is a problem considering we're years later and a console generation removed, so this shit should be fixed, but...If I could look past it with the originals, I can look past it with MEA)

I'm totally in on MEA at this point. I may wait until I can get a used copy for a little cheaper than 50 bucks, but I'll definitely be getting it. I'm ready to dive into the uncanny valley headfirst.

Sl-hay-ing the Lessers

Um. Save their game from what?
    I know that you don't want to acknowledge it, but this game is getting massacred in the gaming media and in the community. Those animation videos with huge view numbers did a much bigger damage than you think, the hate surrounding MEA is on NMS level. BW is in damage control mode right now just like in 2012 to save their GOTY winning franchise from even more attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Vektor View Post
    I know that you don't want to acknowledge it, but this game is getting massacred in the gaming media and in the community. Those animation videos with huge view numbers did a much bigger demage than you think, the hate surrounding MEA is on NMS level. BW is in damage control mode right now just like in 2012 to save their GOTY winning franchise from even more attacks.
    Oh, I've acknowledged it. I'm just saying that the reaction in the gaming community is exemplary of how toxic and stupid it is increasingly becoming.

Again, what is there to save? It's reputation amongst "hardcore" gamers? Please, they could redo the game completely and people will still post what they think are clever memes and such. This whole outrage and rioting against EA and Mass Effect is the problem with the gaming community in a nutshell.

And the fact that you seem to be all in and and slurping it up is all the more disappointing.

Woman Moderator
    So, I caved.

The original ME trilogy holds a very dear place in my heart, not only because, like with Gravity, BSG, and so many other things, I will be interested in anything that involves space. The original trilogy is pretty much what got me back into gaming to begin with so to say I couldn't wait for MEA is a bit of an understatement. And, while the reviews did give me pause, I was still curious.

While I waited for the game, though, I ended up going back to ME2 and boy, did I have rose colored glasses. Yes, I still love the game - and the world it created - but all those OMG!Unacceptable!Mistakes everyone is pointing out in MEA? Yeah... They are all over ME2. So I caved and bought the game.

Now, I am playing it in an old laptop with a pretty basic graphics card that, by all accounts, shouldn't even be able to run the game and I barely saw a glitch. Sure, the animations can be goofy as hell (and I had to go with a personalized Ryder, because the default girl was just too weird for me), but it is nowhere near as distracting as I expected it to be.

I am about 10% in with roughly 15h of playtime and I really identified with this VG247 review: . It takes a while to really get going, and it never reaches the highs of the original ME games, but it is really nowhere near this disaster some people are trying to sell. The combat system is interesting, but I miss being able to sacrifice use my squad more flexibly, since here we can only position them without access to their individual powers. Crafting is annoying and mining is even worse than in the previous games, but even with all those caveats, I could spend another 20 hours just walking through the corridors of our ships and exploring the new planets.

As Critix has said before, it isn't perfect, but it is a lot of fun.

Woman Moderator
    So, I caved.

The original ME trilogy holds a very dear place in my heart, not only because, like with Gravity, BSG, and so many other things, I will be interested in anything that involves space. The original trilogy is pretty much what got me back into gaming to begin with so to say I couldn't wait for MEA is a bit of an understatement. And, while the reviews did give me pause, I was still curious.

While I waited for the game, though, I ended up going back to ME2 and boy, did I have rose colored glasses. Yes, I still love the game - and the world it created - but all those OMG!Unacceptable!Mistakes everyone is pointing out in MEA? Yeah... They are all over ME2. So I caved and bought the game.

Now, I am playing it in an old laptop with a pretty basic graphics card that, by all accounts, shouldn't even be able to run the game and I barely saw a glitch. Sure, the animations can be goofy as hell (and I had to go with a personalized Ryder, because the default girl was just too weird for me), but it is nowhere near as distracting as I expected it to be.

I am about 10% in with roughly 15h of playtime and I really identified with this VG247 review: . It takes a while to really get going, and it never reaches the highs of the original ME games, but it is really nowhere near this disaster some people are trying to sell. The combat system is interesting, but I miss being able to sacrifice use my squad more flexibly, since here we can only position them without access to their individual powers. Crafting is annoying and mining is even worse than in the previous games, but even with all those caveats, I could spend another 20 hours just walking through the corridors of our ships and exploring the new planets.

As Critix has said before, it isn't perfect, but it is a lot of fun.

Oh, I've acknowledged it. I'm just saying that the reaction in the gaming community is exemplary of how toxic and stupid it is increasingly becoming.

Again, what is there to save? It's reputation amongst "hardcore" gamers? Please, they could redo the game completely and people will still post what they think are clever memes and such. This whole outrage and rioting against EA and Mass Effect is the problem with the gaming community in a nutshell.

And the fact that you seem to be all in and and slurping it up is all the more disappointing.
    I am not denying it that it's toxic, but the issues with the game are real, and BW simply didn't care or had no choice (or they were just blind) when they released the game in this state. A game like this, which is almost a reboot after a beloved trilogy, had to be great to avoid backlash, but instead it got BW's worst reviews in ages. The argument that MEA is just another BW game with the same issues just doesn't work, when you compare MEA to Dragon Age Inquisition (same engine), which was jankie like every BW game, but it was still more polished on release than MEA.

But yeah, the gaming community is awful, there's nothing new about that.

Edit: This backlash is bigger than the "hardcore gaming community", one of the negative videos (CrowbCat...) has more views than the launch trailer.
    Last edited by Vektor; Today at 11:22 AM.

Always Be Excellent to Each Other Howard Beale's Toothpaste's Avatar
    One of my housemates bought Andromeda, and I've seen him, and another guy from the house playing it, and....no. It's bad. there's a litany of bad design decisions. The characterization is lousy for the initial squadmates. There's so many points where you're supposed to do something, but it's not remotely intuitive. There's a lot of places where it looks like you can drive the stupid tank thing up, but NOPE. the radiation mechanic is self-evidently dumb in how it's implemented. Customizing Ryder's face even slightly screws with the facial animations to a terrifying degree. the AI for the squadmates is incessantly terrible. Oh, and my housemate got stuck in one area because it glitched and refused to let him interact with the device that would allow progress. not to mention, he found an alternate way to get inside this building, but then there was an inexplicable invisible wall, because the developers either didn't anticipate people going in that direction, or came up with a hasty way to avoid having to program what would happen if people came in that way.

I think the outrage is warranted, for the most part. Bioware put out a substandard product. Why wouldn't gamers be mad?

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Beale's Toothpaste View Post
    One of my housemates bought Andromeda, and I've seen him, and another guy from the house playing it, and....no. It's bad. there's a litany of bad design decisions. The characterization is lousy for the initial squadmates. There's so many points where you're supposed to do something, but it's not remotely intuitive. There's a lot of places where it looks like you can drive the stupid tank thing up, but NOPE. the radiation mechanic is self-evidently dumb in how it's implemented. Customizing Ryder's face even slightly screws with the facial animations to a terrifying degree. the AI for the squadmates is incessantly terrible. Oh, and my housemate got stuck in one area because it glitched and refused to let him interact with the device that would allow progress. not to mention, he found an alternate way to get inside this building, but then there was an inexplicable invisible wall, because the developers either didn't anticipate people going in that direction, or came up with a hasty way to avoid having to program what would happen if people came in that way.

I think the outrage is warranted, for the most part. Bioware put out a substandard product. Why wouldn't gamers be mad?
    Ive encountered maybe 3 bugs at most in the game and have found the buddy AI to be infinitely better than in previous games.