User Tag List

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 913141516171819

Thread: Amy Adams to star in HBO Series Sharp Objects

A whole host of new pics from Episodes 2-7

https://www.spoilertv.com/2017/12/sh...ian-flynn.html

Advance screening's of episode 1 and 2 and Q&A in Seattle and Chicago.

Pronoun(s): Her?
    I don't think this has any reviews yet (?), but Washington Post called it "instantly addictive" in their summer TV preview today.

Quote Originally Posted by Libs View Post
    I don't think this has any reviews yet (?), but Washington Post called it "instantly addictive" in their summer TV preview today.
    Variety reviewed it positively, with strong notices for Amy!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety...202834403/amp/

Yeah only official review that's gone up on Rotten Tomatoes is from Variety from the ATX TV festival last week,

New cover:

New stills:

She's coming

Jean-Marc Vallée spills a bit of tea on his clash with Amy:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts...e-tv-with-new/

It is also that inability to step away, and in the sheer exhaustion caused by taking on series with the scale of three feature films, that resulted in some production tensions.

“On Sharp Objects, I felt that I wasn’t ready when we started to shoot, and I needed more time to prep and do my homework, but we had to shoot, and I got pushy,” Vallée says. “I wanted to push the schedule back, and Amy was pushing back, and I was pushing and pushing and we started off with a little bit of a fight. But then we learned to work together, to dance together.

“Directing on a 90-day schedule, whether for a TV series or a feature film, it’s crazy, it’s a marathon,” he adds, noting he’s now planning a six-month break, and that his next project will be one of two films he has in development that come with only a 35- or 40-day shooting schedule.

He also says that she was the driving force for him to join the project in the first place though:

“Sharp Objects was scary, unknown territory for me. I wouldn’t pick this kind of material to direct if you just gave me the book. Amy Adams was the force that drove me in,” Vallée says of his star, who he previously tried to collaborate with on a now-abandoned Janis Joplin biopic. “But I was also scared because, I was asking myself, what can I do to help her? What am I going to tell her, to help her get where she needed to be? It’s scary, but this is our job, let’s do this.”

Amy for Emmy Magazine.

Here's the interview for Sharp Objects

https://www.emmys.com/news/features/...l-relationship

Surreal. That's how showrunner Marti Noxon (UnREAL, Buffy the Vampire Slayer) says it felt to hear that Adams, who'd read Noxon's script for the first episode, wanted to play the lead and be an executive producer. "To be honest," Noxon says, "I didn't believe it. In my mind, she's one of the few giant movie stars left. So I was like, 'Well, that's never going to happen.'"

In fact, until Adams came aboard, Noxon had envisioned Camille as a more obviously broken character. "But when I started to think about Amy in the role, I got really excited. First of all, she can do anything. Second of all, Amy has a luminescence that's undeniable, and how true to the story is it that all these things about her character are hidden beneath the façade of somebody who has a glow to her?"

In a world where an A-list actor's executive-producer credit is often little more than ego massage, Noxon says Adams went all in. "We ran everything by her: casting choices, production-related decisions, everything. There were lots of meetings where I'd say, 'Well, you don't have to come to this,' and there she'd be. She was always engaged and opinionated, and fought for the integrity of what is a very female story."

Quote Originally Posted by Adam#1 View Post
    Amy for Emmy Magazine.

Here's the interview for Sharp Objects

https://www.emmys.com/news/features/...l-relationship
    Emmy Adams looks great in her own magazine slay

Emmy Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Rhae View Post
    Full review for those not registered!

The most-anticipated TV drama of the summer, Sharp Objects, a psychological thriller based on the debut novel of Gone Girl author Gillian Flynn, certainly lives up to its title. From the very first scene – in which an unsettling childhood flashback morphs seamlessly into a present-day bedroom – we’re in treacherous territory, never sure when we might tread on something nasty and cut ourselves, or witness something that makes us want to hurriedly look away.

US cable network HBO has carved out a reputation for graphic violence in shows from The Sopranos to Game of Thrones, but here the gore is all the more potent for being unexpected. Adapted by Flynn herself, with the help of writer Marti Noxon and director Jean-Marc Vallée, who was behind another major recent HBO hit, Big Little Lies, the series tells the story of Camille Preaker (Amy Adams), a Chicago journalist forced by her editor to return to Wind Gap, the sleepy Missouri hometown she escaped from years ago, to investigate a possible serial killer.

One young girl is dead, another missing – and Camille’s editor can smell a story. A classy story, he says: a meditation on death and grief in a small community, from the perspective of a returning native. But what he (and we) can really smell is blood – and, in due course, the body of the missing girl turns up, posed just like a stylish, scarlet-smeared doll.

Gruesomely, it later transpires that she and the other victim had their teeth removed by the killer. Murders aside, though, Camille has her own problems, and the show is as much about toxic family and self-destruction as it is crime. She’s an alcoholic and compulsive self-harmer, with an itching need to carve words – seemingly mundane, everyday words, suddenly freighted with dangerous significance – into various surfaces, including her own skin.

Beneath her high-necked, long-sleeved clothes, her body is criss-crossed with scars. But it’s Adams’s face, taut with the effort of her self-control, on which the camera lingers. You don’t need to look too far to guess where her issues stem from. Camille’s mother, Adora, played to pale-pink-gowned perfection by Patricia Clarkson, is a narcissist and perpetual victim, wielding her “delicacy” like a weapon.

In every stolen scene, it’s as if she’s on a stage: performing, grandstanding, histrionically bewailing her own sorrows to the exclusion of everyone else’s. Camille is traumatised from discovering a body? How dare she upset her mother by mentioning such horrible things.

The show is haunted by young women, both dead and alive. So while the face of the latest murder victim smiles down from all the “missing” posters around town, another girl lurks in the corners of Camille’s memory: her sister, Marian, who died when they were both children. And then there’s her teenage half-sister, Amma (Eliza Scanlen). When we first meet her, Amma is disconcertingly sophisticated and self-assured but, at home, she allows the smothering Adora to dress her as if she is much younger, all ribbons and pretty frocks, and acts more like an eight-year-old than a teenager.

Adams as reporter Camille Preaker
    Adams as reporter Camille Preaker CREDIT: HBO
    It’s grotesque – and another sign that things in Wind Gap, and in Camille’s own home, are deeply unhealthy. A finely tuned sense of unease, coupled with Adams’s compelling performance, keeps Sharp Objects from ever feeling blunt, even if the first three episodes are a little slow-moving. The unsettling atmosphere is given priority over the action initially, but as the mystery builds, the deliciously poisonous Wind Gap looks likely to accrue enough of both to sustain our interest.

You’ll sense from the start that something is rotten – and watch, on edge, to find out just how deep the decay goes.

THR TV review: #SharpObjects http://thr.cm/D6fZeO

THE BOTTOM LINE- Riveting prestige-pulp.

HBO's adaptation of Gillian Flynn's novel boasts an Emmy-ready performance by Amy Adams and savvy, confident direction from Jean-Marc Vallee.

What MC are people predicting? I'm thinking 78.

Adams, Oldman, Kidman, Сlose faniac. Dweller On Threshold's Avatar

From the THR review:

Adams is tremendous: Your attention never wavers from her, even if you lose track of how or what Camille is doing in Wind Gap. Characters keep mentioning that Camille used to be locally renowned for her beauty, that everybody just assumed she was destined for great things, and one or two times per episode, Adams lets us see that side of the character via a clever quip or an enticing twinkle of the eye. The rest of the time she alternates between near-catatonic — self-medicating with water bottles filled with booze — and stuck in torment between the past and present, trying to escape her own skin. The awards potential preordained by Adams' casting is more than justified by her performance. (Adams is so good you only rarely stop and try to do the math on how old the show wants Camille to be and whether Adams makes sense as Clarkson's daughter or if teenage characters could have remembered idolizing Camille when they were kids.)

Emmy Adams is coming