Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Girls: Season 6

It really pains me how underrated a show like this is. "American Bitch" is an expertly crafted episode - from Dunham's nuanced, thoughtful writing to Shepard's striking direction.

And how I love Matthew Rhys, oh God. Perfect casting.

Man, what an episode.

Just a perfectly constructed, difficult and smart piece of writing. Rhys is, obviously, splendid. It's cool to see Hannah in more of a justifiably confident state of mind. I just loved everything about this.

It was just an all-around masterful episode.

So far, I think this season is very promising, and after the greatness of season 5, I'm just glad that this show is going out with a bang, creatively.

I also re-watched episode 2 of this season, and it is terrific. The satire of the feminist networking group that Shoshana attends is hilarious. My favorite line is when one of the two co-founders says, "Also, for those of you asking on our Facebook if the group is open to trans women, the answer is: we don't know, okay!" LOL. What a pitch-perfect commentary on non-inclusive 2010s-era feminism.

God, I love this show.

#ImWithDern

I would say that the fourth episode was a step down because it had to tie back to the entire ensemble's trajectory for the rest of the season, a luxury that was not as present in the last episode or arguably the episode before. So it did feel like a lot of heavy stuff as a result with Hannah being pregnant, Jessa and Adam going into filmmaking, and Ray discovering Hermie has died, not to mention Hannah sees Patrick Wilson's Joshua again (and he is the one to give her the news!).

That said, it was impossible to keep that up and still tried to forward momentum in the final season and I still enjoyed this episode. I like how the show again captured Adam's whole acting world in the style of filmmaking like they did when he was on that fake TV procedural with Lucy Liu. Ray just disassociating and tuning out Marnie at first played a little humorous but it also does come off as depressing for him, which I think made the whole 'Let's have him experience 2 deaths' not feel just like their own anvils. I also credit Dunham's acting in this and the sadness and inability to really be vocal with what she has just discovered with anyone.

I hope this means Riz Ahmed is coming back. I thought the whole random, not even necessary for his backstory at first glance, aspect of him also being from Michigan now may be something potentially meaningful in that Hannah probably is getting to a place of feeling nostalgic for somebody not from her current surroundings but still familiar. Or this is just a one-off and we never see him again.
    Last edited by CadenCotard; 03-09-2017 at 10:30 PM.

Wow! 'American Bitch' was a masterpiece!

I always wondered when one of the girls would get pregnant , but I didn't expect it to be with a random guest character, (not that I'm saying it should have been Adam's, mind you ). It was an absolute surprise seeing Patrick Wilson pop up again.

It was a pretty standard episode of Girls, but still good overall. I'm actually kinda liking Adam/Jessa's "let's make a movie" plot, lol. Their enthusiasm is funny.

Line of the episode belongs to Marnie, though: "I have bruises all over my body from the two-hour massages that I need to deal with the stress of your addiction."
    Last edited by TailSpin; 03-07-2017 at 06:24 AM.

#ImWithDern

I thought this was another pretty stellar episode. It hit me in the gut so many times.

Adam and Jessa remain the worst, but I'm willing to see where this is going to go. Because I'm not emotionally prepared for Hannah and Adam to have a moment together again. I also can't wait to see what they do with Hannah's pregnancy.

I don't really need to see Desi again.

I thought the arc with Ray was really nice. The final scene made me cry.

I want more Shosh and I want it now.

To me, Desi and Marnie are the worst, and I kinda hate to say it, but they deserve each other. My God, the guy at the rehab facility enabling Desi to be a douche, lol. Poor Ray becoming disillusioned with Marnie as he realizes how self involved she is.

Do you guys think Hannah will keep the child? The episode makes it seem like she might out of defiance of people's expectations of her. But then there was the opening scene, with Tracy Ullman's character telling Hannah that a female writer should never have children.

Quote Originally Posted by dyedred19 View Post
    I want more Shosh and I want it now.

Hannah being pregnant is the scariest thing that's ever happened on Girls.

BUSTED

Quote Originally Posted by TailSpin View Post
    Line of the episode belongs to Marnie, though: "I have bruises all over my body from the two-hour massages that I need to deal with the stress of your addiction."
    Like, when you make Desi look like the reasonable person in a conversation...

I wonder what they'll do with Marnie in the next six episodes. Over the past few seasons you could see some growth with Hannah, Shosh and perhaps even Jessa as characters, but Marnie has always been so much of a self-obsessed monster that she's turned into one of the show's most reliable comic reliefs - and when it seems like she might become a better person she just ends up in the same place.

It doesn't seem like they'll have time to build a satisfying arc for her before the series finale, but well. I guess the girl is doomed.

This season is great so far but I'm getting a bit worried. The first two episodes were stellar, the third one was excellent as well, and the next two episodes.... they were very good but I'm getting worried since this is the final season. It's only five episodes left but how are the things going to be concluded? Shosh had no arc for the last three episodes, Marnie went back being her awful self again, and Jessa/Adam... I don't know what the fuck is going on with them. This has always been problem-non-problem for Girls ever since they increased a lot of characters around season 3, and they did always somehow managed to get a satisfying conclusion for everyone (I'm still amazed how "Home Birth" tied everything so neatly for all the characters, I thought it would be impossible!) , but considering this is truly the FINAL season, I'm getting worried.

And big fat YES to Zosia Mamet praise. Easily the best performance given in this series (with Becky Ann Baker) and the most underrated part. Shosh's arc in "Hostage Situation" really hit me hard. In a way, Shosh is the only character who actively tried to grow up. The minute she found out her illusion of "free-spirited life" (aka "Jessa" life) was bullshit, she quit it and tried to be a better person. (One of that sign was being purposely away from the other girls She hasn't met Hannah since "Wedding Day"! She saw Marnie and Jessa only once but that was because they just forced themselves into Shosh) And she did grow up a lot, so it was heartbreaking to see the casualties that happened during her "free-spirited" phase still haunting her. Another character that actively tried to grow up might be Ray, and that is why it's so comforting to see Shosh and Ray together. Now that's a friendship that actually helps both of them, and inspires them to be better. God I wish this lack of Shosh in the last three episodes means we are getting her own episode in the last batch. I'd be so mad if it doesn't happen. She was way to underused compared to her potential.

However, I have to say I was pretty affected by Jessa as well in "Hostage Situation" when she said "I have nothing". She really doesn't have anything. She knows she can't show her face to Hannah or Marnie (well, that's more to do with her not liking Marnie I guess) and Shosh was her only safe choice since they were related, but she might have lost even that one.

Marnie... ugh. It's always one step forward and two steps backward for her. In a way it's realistic since that might be what happens to 99% of people (I mean, how many times do we actually grow up?) but ugh. Tbh, I'm starting to feel sad for her that she just can't figure the fuck out about what's wrong with her.

I'm not sure about this pregnancy arc yet, but it was touching to see Hannah trying to grow up. To the opposite of Marnie, I think she's two steps forward one step backward. Elijah said to Hannah that her keeping the child was "typical Hannah decision" but we saw that it wasn't! She actually thought it through. And with all the drama going through with her parents, it's perfect set-up for her to be her worst self, but she's actually trying to comfort her people, and take care of them, and ultimately herself. I'm sure the last five episodes will continuously give her bumps, but for the first time, I'm positive that she will get through them.

And fuck you Elijah. Jesus christ just fucking die. I actually started liking him this season but ugh that rant was repulsive. He's like the male Hannah without any redeeming qualities. Just fuck off for christ's sake.

Loreen going high and crazy was hilarious, disturbing and harrowing at the same time. Becky Ann Baker is just amazing. I hope she gets one more good episode.

.....and this is basically why I'm worried now. I feel like every character need one proper "The Panic in Central Park" of their own to conclude their story in a satisfying way, but there's so small time left.
    If you could suddenly see your whole life, from start to finish....
    would you change things?

So I checked the upcoming listings and found Riz's character is going to make at least one more reappearance. I said this earlier, his character noting that his family is also from Michigan felt like an inclusion to not have him just be a Manic Pixie Dream Boy for Hannah. It currently feels like Hannah has no expectations of him coming back to her or her unborn child's life, so I am curious what his reappearance could do.

Oh dear god I saw the plot in the next two episodes and NO FUCKING MENTION of Shosh.
    would you change things?

As much as I love Becky Ann Backer, I'mma need her to be absent for the rest of the season until the finale or whatever, because she's already appeared in 3/10 episodes so if she appears in two more, she'll have to go supporting at the Emmys.

I wanted her and Peter Scolari to win matching His and Her guest Emmys by the end of the series, but it looks like Baker probably won't join him

#ImWithDern

Quote Originally Posted by TailSpin View Post
    As much as I love Becky Ann Backer, I'mma need her to be absent for the rest of the season until the finale or whatever, because she's already appeared in 3/10 episodes so if she appears in two more, she'll have to go supporting at the Emmys.

I wanted her and Peter Scolari to win matching His and Her guest Emmys by the end of the series, but it looks like Baker probably won't join him
    and

I'm still pissed off that her 30 seconds appearance in that last two episodes of season 4 disqualified her in guest catogory. "Tad & Loreen & Avi & Shanaz" was a wonderful tape for her And Baker missing for "Queen for Two Days" is just fucking criminal. Ugh. She should have had like, 3 nominations at this point for christ's sake. One for season 1&2, one for "Flo", and one for "Queen for Two Days". UGH!!!! Tbh, I give up on Emmys now and just looking forward for some more amazing performance from her.

And I'm getting so mad about lack of Shosh right now. If seems like A LOT of fans are feeling the same way (obviously, since she's the least repulsive one), so I don't get why even in the final season she is not featured much. She always had the least material but she also always stood out the most among the supporting characters. She deserves better
    would you change things?

Legend Becky Ann Baker is a treasure.

Elijah's "you're going to be a terrible mother" to Hannah was a gut punch, even if it's true.

BUSTED

where the wild roses grow raguabros's Avatar
    Loved today's episode, despite Shosh's absence. It navigated through the reactions of everyone close to Hannah fast but profoundly, and with great humor.

filmicas.com
    film blogging en español

That end sequence with new Robyn.

Solid episode, my favorite part was Hannah telling Marnie how much of a cunt she was to Ray (lol), but where the fuck is Shosh?! I could've done without most of Marnie's scenes. And no sign of Shosh in the preview for next episode either ☹️. Would love to see her reaction to Hannah's pregnancy.

This last episode started off strong but quickly went downhill for me. Idk if it's just me but I'm over Desi and marnie, that relationship is annnoying and uninteresting. Adams character as dull as ever with his annoying "film" that I still don't know why they think that's an interesting plot when clearly they need to make room for shoshana, one of the main characters. Loved how strong this season started, hope it all doesn't go to shit like this episode did lol.