View Poll Results: What will be nominated for Best Picture? (Choose 5-10)

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Battle of the Sexes

2 2.47%
  • Blade Runner 2049

33 40.74%
  • Breathe

0 0%
  • Call Me by Your Name

51 62.96%
  • The Current War

7 8.64%
  • Darkest Hour

60 74.07%
  • Detroit

58 71.60%
  • Downsizing

25 30.86%
  • Dunkirk

51 62.96%
  • Get Out

20 24.69%
  • The Glass Castle

2 2.47%
  • Goodbye Christopher Robin

2 2.47%
  • The Greatest Showman

30 37.04%
  • Happy End

5 6.17%
  • Inner City

23 28.40%
  • The Killing of a Sacred Deer

8 9.88%
  • Last Flag Flying

8 9.88%
  • Lean on Pete

22 27.16%
  • The Leisure Seeker

0 0%
  • The Lost City of Z

2 2.47%
  • Mary Magdalene

7 8.64%
  • The Mercy

0 0%
  • Molly's Game

5 6.17%
  • Mother!

39 48.15%
  • Mudbound

16 19.75%
  • On Chesil Beach

1 1.23%
  • The Shape of Water

6 7.41%
  • The Snowman

5 6.17%
  • Suburbicon

20 24.69%
  • Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

9 11.11%
  • Untitled Paul Thomas Anderson Project

25 30.86%
  • Untitled Steven Spielberg Project

61 75.31%
  • Wonder Wheel

4 4.94%
  • Wonderstruck

56 69.14%
  • Other

8 9.88%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

Thread: Best Picture: May

Quote Originally Posted by Vektor View Post
    Nope.

I think only two movies can happen here from Cannes: Wonderstruck and The Florida Project.
    What about Good Time and You Were Never Really Here?

Quote Originally Posted by Scorsesefan View Post
    Should we put The Beguiled in our predictions since it won Best Director at Cannes?
    Not exactly for that alone. Still, IF the film surpasses expectations at BO, it can be a possibility.
    The Hollywood Film Awards version of Meryl Streep and Jack Nicholson

A lover of Scandinavian cinema Alicia Vikander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiansport1 View Post
    What about Good Time and You Were Never Really Here?
    Can't.

Does Get Out have serious chance @BP. Hard to see that many films matching in with both reviews and BO

I think it has a serious chance at getting nominated.

Quote Originally Posted by ASeriousFan View Post
    Does Get Out have serious chance @BP. Hard to see that many films matching in with both reviews and BO
    For a nom, absolutely

For a win, probably not unless it can manage an acting nom and editing nom

End Of May predictions

Call Me By Your Name
    A Ghost Story (very tentatively)
    Get Out
    Detroit
    The Post
    Last Flag Flying

I would leave open spots for two wildcards no one has seen coming. Not comfortable with anything else yet (PTA, Dunkirk, Darkest-fucking Hour)

Not feeling these anymore

Wonderstruck (don't see the reviews suddenly improving outside of the Riviera)
    The Beguiled (unless its a surprise box office hit, then I could change my mind, maybe Coppola will get a director nom)
    The Killing Of A Sacred Deer (just too grim and esoteric for mainstream success)

Quote Originally Posted by hepwa View Post

Wonderstruck (don't see the reviews suddenly improving outside of the Riviera)
    But it will, just like Nebraska (79 metascore after Cannes, 86 ms after US release) and Loving (71 ms after Cannes, 79 ms after US release), I think Wonderstruck will perform better in the States. It will probably get a 80-82 metacore in the end, and that will be enough for a BP nomination IF Last Flag Flying won't steal the #1 Amazon spot from Wonderstruck.

Pronoun(s): She/Her.
    End of May Predictions:

1. The Post (Fox) - My only concern is that it won't be done in time.

2. Call Me By Your Name (SPC) - Could follow Moonlight's path to Best Picture, but will some voters think they're too similar even if they really aren't.

3. The Florida Project (A24) - A24's potential number 1?

4. Inner City (Sony) - Perhaps more to voters liking than Nightcrawler.

5. Dunkirk (WB) - I think Nolan could be snubbed again, but I think in an expanded lineup, it's likely in.

6. The Death of Stalin (IFC) - My no guts, no glory pick. Except for worries about the distributor, I think it could go far if it's as great as Veep or In the Loop.

7. Last Flag Flying (Amazon) - Revenge for Boyhood?!?

8. Darkest Hour (Focus) - Seems like Oscar bait that use to win regularly that now only gets nominations but doesn't contend for Best Picture wins anymore. Maybe that kind of Oscar bait will fall into favor again though?

9. Detroit (Annapurna) - Could be very relevant, but I think controversy could hurt its potential.

10. Suburbicon (Paramount) - Paramount's number 1?

11. The Greatest Showman (Fox) - I see it being compared to La La Land a lot, and coming out badly in the end due to all the comparisons to that film.

12. Blade Runner 2049 (WB/Sony) - Could potentially be the genre film that's done well at the box office and with critics in recent years like The Martian or Arrival.

13. Mary Magdalene (TWC) - Can Garth Davis and Harvey work their magic again?

14. mother! (Paramount) - I have this predicted in all four acting categories so far, so it could be a film that actors just eat up, and they do make up the largest portion of AMPAS.

15. Get Out (Universal) - Unfortunately I think this is doomed to be like Straight Outta Compton and other big films that miss that "regular filmgoers" and pundits cite to show how out of touch the Oscars have become.

Pronoun(s): He/Him
    I'm new (but also not so new if that makes sense) here, so hi all. Lol, that was probably corny. But on the Wonderstruck thing, it could give Tree of Life teas where it only receives Picture, Director (I doubt it though since the Academy has never loved Todd Haynes), Cinematography and Score.

Anne Thompson posted a huge article about Florida Project

Baker had long wanted to make a film about children “that focused on their resilience, their innocence, and their comic nature,” he said at Cannes. “I saw this as an opportunity to be able to make that film and be able to shine a light on an important and timely issue in the U.S., the one of the hidden homeless.”

“I wanted to show that innocence,” he said. “The kids can be really funny. I didn’t want the moping, frowning kid. I never saw that when I went to the motels. I came across children, I have to say, already at seven they have the whole world against them. It’s an unfortunate situation; their parents are in a real bind, if they have both parents. And yet at the same time, the kids are smiling and trying to find fun and made the best of what they had. I wanted to show, even though Moonie didn’t have the means to go to one of the parks a mile away, she was able to treat her environment like an attraction park ride. She brings her friend to see a safari, and the local abandoned condos are in a way their Haunted Mansion.”

A24 could look to achieve what Fox Searchlight managed with 2012 indie breakout “Beasts of the Southern Wild,” which debuted in Sundance and went on to ride strong Cannes buzz and the fall festival circuit to four nominations, including Best Picture, Writer, Director, and its nine-year-old star, Quvenzhane Wallis, who became the youngest-ever nominee for Best Actress.
    http://www.indiewire.com/2017/05/the...17-1201833665/

Great article. It's definitely my most anticipated movie out of Cannes. And I love that gorgeous poster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm super excited for The Florida Project. Legend Dafoe could be the frontrunner for Supporting Actor.

"'There came from his lips no wordy protestation such as formal lovers use. No eloquence was his, nor did he suffer from the lack of it. He simply enfolded her in his manly arms.'"

Quote Originally Posted by Morton View Post
    End of May Predictions:

1. The Post (Fox) - My only concern is that it won't be done in time.

2. Call Me By Your Name (SPC) - Could follow Moonlight's path to Best Picture, but will some voters think they're too similar even if they really aren't.

3. The Florida Project (A24) - A24's potential number 1?

4. Inner City (Sony) - Perhaps more to voters liking than Nightcrawler.

5. Dunkirk (WB) - I think Nolan could be snubbed again, but I think in an expanded lineup, it's likely in.

6. The Death of Stalin (IFC) - My no guts, no glory pick. Except for worries about the distributor, I think it could go far if it's as great as Veep or In the Loop.

7. Last Flag Flying (Amazon) - Revenge for Boyhood?!?

8. Darkest Hour (Focus) - Seems like Oscar bait that use to win regularly that now only gets nominations but doesn't contend for Best Picture wins anymore. Maybe that kind of Oscar bait will fall into favor again though?
    9. Detroit (Annapurna) - Could be very relevant, but I think controversy could hurt its potential.

10. Suburbicon (Paramount) - Paramount's number 1?

11. The Greatest Showman (Fox) - I see it being compared to La La Land a lot, and coming out badly in the end due to all the comparisons to that film.

12. Blade Runner 2049 (WB/Sony) - Could potentially be the genre film that's done well at the box office and with critics in recent years like The Martian or Arrival.

13. Mary Magdalene (TWC) - Can Garth Davis and Harvey work their magic again?

14. mother! (Paramount) - I have this predicted in all four acting categories so far, so it could be a film that actors just eat up, and they do make up the largest portion of AMPAS.

15. Get Out (Universal) - Unfortunately I think this is doomed to be like Straight Outta Compton and other big films that miss that "regular filmgoers" and pundits cite to show how out of touch the Oscars have become.
    With the older base of AMPAS set to rapidly diminish, that's unlikely.

I feel like Suberbicon is going to play well to the Academy?

Coming for that Oscar nomination. And more!