View Poll Results: What will be nominated for Best Picture? (Choose 5-10)

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Battle of the Sexes

2 2.94%
  • Blade Runner 2049

28 41.18%
  • Breathe

0 0%
  • Call Me by Your Name

38 55.88%
  • The Current War

5 7.35%
  • Darkest Hour

50 73.53%
  • Detroit

49 72.06%
  • Downsizing

21 30.88%
  • Dunkirk

44 64.71%
  • Get Out

15 22.06%
  • The Glass Castle

1 1.47%
  • Goodbye Christopher Robin

0 0%
  • The Greatest Showman

27 39.71%
  • Happy End

5 7.35%
  • Inner City

18 26.47%
  • The Killing of a Sacred Deer

6 8.82%
  • Last Flag Flying

3 4.41%
  • Lean on Pete

17 25.00%
  • The Leisure Seeker

0 0%
  • The Lost City of Z

2 2.94%
  • Mary Magdalene

6 8.82%
  • The Mercy

0 0%
  • Molly's Game

4 5.88%
  • Mother!

35 51.47%
  • Mudbound

15 22.06%
  • On Chesil Beach

0 0%
  • The Shape of Water

3 4.41%
  • The Snowman

4 5.88%
  • Suburbicon

18 26.47%
  • Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

6 8.82%
  • Untitled Paul Thomas Anderson Project

21 30.88%
  • Untitled Steven Spielberg Project

51 75.00%
  • Wonder Wheel

2 2.94%
  • Wonderstruck

50 73.53%
  • Other

5 7.35%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Best Picture: May

Quote Originally Posted by erikdean View Post
    This would be an issue, I believe. I don't think it needs an acting nom but it probably needs an adapted screenplay one, which is more likely. Unless people are going to try and make Harrison Ford happen again.
    He seems like the only potential acting nominee from the film, but I think he's a long shot. Does his character get cancer?

I mean, regardless of what you think of him as an actor, it is sort of weird based on his place in the industry that Harrison Ford only has one Oscar nomination. But between the film being Sci-Fi and the extreme rarity of actors getting nominated for playing a character they've already played (I mean, at least Stallone was nominated for the original Rocky), it's a significant stretch.

Eh, if Fury Road couldn't do it when the BD frontrunner was the previous year's winner, and the BP frontrunner was incredibly weak with almost zero buzz... BR2049 wouldn't make any sense as the BP winner.

Final May Predictions:
    1. The Phantom Thread
    2. Dunkirk
    3. Darkest Hour
    4. Blade Runner 2049
    5. Detroit
    6. Downsizing
    7. The Greatest Showman
    8. Untitled Steven Spielberg Project
    9. Mother!
    10. Logan
    Last edited by Scorsesefan; Yesterday at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vektor View Post
    Eh, if Fury Road couldn't do it when the BD frontrunner was the previous year's winner, and the BP frontrunner was incredibly weak with almost zero buzz... BR2049 wouldn't make any sense as the BP winner.
    Except often things are about timing and maybe MMFR paved the way for BR2049 to get there.

I won't believe in a Nolan project winning until it happens. I fell into the trap with Interstellar where I thought post-Gravity sci-fi was "due" and it looked like both a technical marvel and emotional based on the trailers and we saw how that ended up. Maybe he'll finally get a nomination but I think the critical and cinephile crowd are basically done with him and that's poison in the current awards climate.

I might throw my shot-in-the-dark winner prediction at Suburbicon. Plot wise it doesn't read like one which always helps, it has the talent both behind and in front of the camera and commercial potential.

Quote Originally Posted by with_one_voice View Post

1) high acclaim - all winners in last decade have 85+ MC scores. CMBYN is currently in the mid/high 90s
    2) festival play - garnering and sustaining buzz from the fall fests is important and clearly helpful
    3) acting writing directing noms - only two BP winners in the last decade didn't hit all three of these noms (they hit two of them)

Etc. It's hard to find a film likely for all 3 but I think some under the radar options will emerge. Last Flag? Mother? Lean on Pete? Who knows. For now though I don't think we can dismiss CMBYN since it likely hits all 3 criteria and some currently speculate it could even win Adapted
    Quote Originally Posted by with_one_voice View Post
    I also agree with Erik that AMPAS does tend to award different types of films a lot. I could see them harkening back to something like Darkest Hour, for instance, though as I mentioned, I think it'll need stronger acclaim that most are anticipating (although, Atonement got an 85 MC score (and P&P got 82), so maybe it could happen, actually). Oldman obviously stands a good chance to win, which would help it.

The winner might just be something a bit under the radar right now, as the last few winners have been? Erik also raised the idea of Blade Runner winning, which I've considered, but will it even get a writing OR acting nod?
    Due to circumstances in real life, I haven't really been paying much attention to next year's Oscar race that much, but now things are going slightly better. Anyway, I know it's IFC, but I really think that The Death of Stalin might surprise. It and The Post just seem like they have the best chance to capture the zeitgeist of the year, imo.

1. Could potentially be highly acclaimed like Veep and In the Loop.

2. So far it's not dated, so I'm guessing that IFC will take it to the fall festivals.

3. I'm not sure if it has the potential to hit number three. Supporting Actor might be tough with Michael Stuhlbarg getting an early lead, but it's possible that Jeffrey Tambor, Steve Buscemi, or another veteran actor from the cast could get awards traction. There's also the two supporting actresses that could surprise since Best Supporting Actress is a wasteland right now outside of Melissa Leo, who I don't see winning a second Oscar right now.

Aside from an individual acting award though, if it can be another Veep or In the Loop or even exceed that for Ianucci that it could be nominated for SAG Ensemble, and could potentially be a big threat there to win given the large cast that includes SAG favorites Jeffrey Tambor and Steve Buscemi.

Check my full oscar picks here! goo.gl/Dzau7z Damiansport1's Avatar
    Its so hard to say right now who will win Best Picture....but if you put gun to me head, i would probably say...Get Out? after having watched it i think its huge contender...Call me by Your Name will not win but should be TOP3 easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Morton View Post
    Due to circumstances in real life, I haven't really been paying much attention to next year's Oscar race that much, but now things are going slightly better. Anyway, I know it's IFC, but I really think that The Death of Stalin might surprise. It and The Post just seem like they have the best chance to capture the zeitgeist of the year, imo.

1. Could potentially be highly acclaimed like Veep and In the Loop.

2. So far it's not dated, so I'm guessing that IFC will take it to the fall festivals.

3. I'm not sure if it has the potential to hit number three. Supporting Actor might be tough with Michael Stuhlbarg getting an early lead, but it's possible that Jeffrey Tambor, Steve Buscemi, or another veteran actor from the cast could get awards traction. There's also the two supporting actresses that could surprise since Best Supporting Actress is a wasteland right now outside of Melissa Leo, who I don't see winning a second Oscar right now.

Aside from an individual acting award though, if it can be another Veep or In the Loop or even exceed that for Ianucci that it could be nominated for SAG Ensemble, and could potentially be a big threat there to win given the large cast that includes SAG favorites Jeffrey Tambor and Steve Buscemi.
    Most definitely.

After Cannes:

1. Suburbicon - 5-time Oscar winner George Clooney... well, sometimes I like to predict the worst possible outcome
    2. Detroit
    3. The Post
    4. Lean on Pete
    5. The Greatest Showman
    6. Wonderstruck
    7. Breathe
    8. Get Out

9. Call Me by Your Name
    10. Blade Runner 2049
    11. Darkest Hour
    12. Dunkirk

A fan of Scandinavian cinema and actors Alicia Vikander's Avatar
    A24 just picked up 'The Florida Project'.

And Introducing Greta Gerwig as MADONNA DirkDiggler's Avatar
    New contender alert!!!^

Quote Originally Posted by DirkDiggler View Post
    New contender alert!!!^
    If 'Lean on Pete' doesn't work out, I guess this could be their #1?

Picture, Screenplay, Cinematography, S. Actor, with Directing and S. Actress as wildcards. It seems plausible.

Quote Originally Posted by Alicia Vikander View Post
    If 'Lean on Pete' doesn't work out, I guess this could be their #1?

Picture, Screenplay, Cinematography, S. Actor, with Directing and S. Actress as wildcards. It seems plausible.
    The Florida Project is giving me Short Term 12esque vibes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingervitis View Post
    A24 is not Cinedigm. Daniel Cretton (at the time) is not Sean Baker.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingervitis View Post
    ST12's biggest knock against it was its studio. Having A24 immediately puts Florida Project in an entirely different league.

Maybe American Honey is a better comparison for The Florida Project? It feels more like a Spirit awards contender than a real Oscar contender.