Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121317 ... LastLast

Thread: AW Canon - 2007

where the wild roses grow raguabros's Avatar
    I doubt JeanZREJ has seen the LiLo film so it's probably Lars and The Real Girl? I hope he spills the tea instead of keeping it to himself, no one will be offended!

I watched Paranoid Park last night. I really liked how it portrayed the inner world of the teenager, and reminded me of last year's dreadful Closet Monster, which I feel tried to do the same but failed. Again, not sure if it'll be in my top, I'll have to see where the other films stand. Hoping to watch at least three more before Sunday.
    FYC: The #1 film of 2006 for the AW Canon. VOLVER.

filmicas.com - film blogging en español

Provincial, geocentric, bitter poseur.
    Lust, Caution for the muthafuckin' win.

Also (haven't read the thread to see if it is already mentioned), but, please, please, please consider:

Quote Originally Posted by David Giancarlo View Post
    Lust, Caution for the muthafuckin' win.
    This. May very well be my favorite Lee.

Don't forget

REAL Luminosity, Oscar Nominee, Dame RUTH NEGGA

Quote Originally Posted by aikugur View Post
    Is the Tarr mediocre? He has a huge fanbase here and there are not FYCs... Did he fail this time?
    I just watched The Man from London and thought it was great. Tarr's style worked well within a film noir framework. Mysterious and entrancing with a sense of dread throughout. So I would advise everyone to see it if possible. However, don't expect much from Legend Swinton.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvy Singer View Post
    Hot Rod, I hope.
    Quote Originally Posted by average joe View Post
    I Know Who Killed Me? But was that considered a serious FYC?
    Quote Originally Posted by raguabros View Post
    I doubt JeanZREJ has seen the LiLo film so it's probably Lars and The Real Girl? I hope he spills the tea instead of keeping it to himself, no one will be offended!
    So many good guesses, but unfortunately I haven't seen I Know Who Killed Me (for obvious reasons), I would probably enjoy Hot Rod (but haven't seen it), and didn't feel like Lars and the Real Girl was a complete waste of time, but I somehow felt that The Man From Earth was the worst film that I had ever seen, and it placed slightly below It's All About Love, perhaps simply because of how astoundingly, hilariously terrible I found that film to be. As in: In attempting to describe how terrible it is, I once burst into laughter and could not stop. It's that... bad? As for the other... it seems so inoffensive, but somehow it made me want to find all of the copies of it in the world and burn them.
    “Truth, like light, blinds. Falsehood, on the contrary, is a beautiful twilight that enhances every object.”

Yes, The Man from Earth is awful.

Quote Originally Posted by JeanRZEJ View Post
    So many good guesses, but unfortunately I haven't seen I Know Who Killed Me (for obvious reasons), I would probably enjoy Hot Rod (but haven't seen it), and didn't feel like Lars and the Real Girl was a complete waste of time, but I somehow felt that The Man From Earth was the worst film that I had ever seen, and it placed slightly below It's All About Love, perhaps simply because of how astoundingly, hilariously terrible I found that film to be. As in: In attempting to describe how terrible it is, I once burst into laughter and could not stop. It's that... bad? As for the other... it seems so inoffensive, but somehow it made me want to find all of the copies of it in the world and burn them.
    Quote Originally Posted by BanZai View Post
    Yes, The Man from Earth is awful.
    I totally get why somebody can feel like this. I liked The Man from Earth but it was not because any cinematic element on it, neither the characters or the actors' performances. It was just that the story they tell got my attention and I couldn't help but to enter the game and become one more guest in the meeting, trying to find out whether it was a true or a false story, and also wanting more details about it. I liked how, with so a few elements, it got my attention. On the other hand, a man talking is not what we usually understand as the art of cinema and, if the narration doesn't get your interest, there is absolutely nothing else to enjoy.

What is The Man From Earth and how does it have 137k votes @imdb (for a 8.0 avg)?

Quote Originally Posted by android View Post
    What is The Man From Earth and how does it have 137k votes @imdb (for a 8.0 avg)?
    LOL, thank you. I'm so puzzled.

Quote Originally Posted by android View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by McTeague View Post
    LOL, thank you. I'm so puzzled.
    The Man From Earth is an example of how a little movie became popular thanks to internet and the word of mouth. The movie looks like a cheap TV movie, but somehow it opened in the cinemas of the US (so it is eligible). With time it became that kind of movie that people like to recommend to other ones, as an example of a huge story that makes you want more and more, made with almost nothing. It is a sci-fi movie, but it is just a bunch of people talking in a room. One of them tells a fascinating story and the rest of them ask him questions trying to know the truth about it. There's nothing more than this. If you enter the game of the story he tells you can be amazed... if you don't, it would be a boring story with nothing else to notice, even with a "WTF-is-this?" factor.

...but really it's just Forest Gump the Play.
    “Truth, like light, blinds. Falsehood, on the contrary, is a beautiful twilight that enhances every object.”

Three days left!!
    Catching up to my youth, watching BTVS and X-Files for the first time...

I actually looooved The man from Earth. The screenplay is really good.

Quote Originally Posted by JeanRZEJ View Post
    ...but really it's just Forest Gump the Play.
    It weren't those elements the ones that people liked (that was difficult to like, actually). It was more the sci-fi part than the historical one.

Banned
    Oh, Diving Bell. I feel like that belongs in the pantheon of acclaimed films that came and went, never to be thought of again, alongside the likes of Pan's Labyrinth.

Quote Originally Posted by filmy View Post
    Oh, Diving Bell. I feel like that belongs in the pantheon of acclaimed films that came and went, never to be thought of again, alongside the likes of Pan's Labyrinth.
    I agree, lol. Although some people do still seem to love Pan's Labyrinth.

#ImWithDern

Del Toro working regularly since then has helped keep Pan's Labyrinth in general consciousness, at least in comparison to The Diving Bell and the Butterfly.

Yeah Pan's definitely still has a stronger lasting reputation than Diving Bell. Anyway, we should place bets on what finishes third here. Jesse James? Zodiac? Atonement (shudder)??

Quote Originally Posted by electric_storm View Post
    Yeah Pan's definitely still has a stronger lasting reputation than Diving Bell. Anyway, we should place bets on what finishes third here. Jesse James? Zodiac? Atonement (shudder)??
    I feel like Jesse James is the most divisive of the three. I'll say Atonement.