View Poll Results: Who will be nominated for Best Actor? (Choose 5)

Voters
176. You may not vote on this poll
  • Javier Bardem -- Mother!

17 9.66%
  • Chadwick Boseman -- Marshall

11 6.25%
  • John Boyega -- Detroit

15 8.52%
  • Timothée Chalamet -- Call Me by Your Name

91 51.70%
  • Bryan Cranston -- Last Flag Flying

87 49.43%
  • Benedict Cumberbatch -- The Current War

9 5.11%
  • Matt Damon -- Downsizing

13 7.39%
  • Matt Damon -- Suburbicon

5 2.84%
  • Daniel Day-Lewis -- Untitled Paul Thomas Anderson Project

144 81.82%
  • Idris Elba -- The Mountain Between Us

2 1.14%
  • Sam Elliott -- The Hero

4 2.27%
  • Andrew Garfield -- Breathe

37 21.02%
  • Jake Gyllenhaal -- Stronger

10 5.68%
  • Tom Hanks -- The Papers

74 42.05%
  • Hugh Jackman -- The Greatest Showman

24 13.64%
  • Gary Oldman -- Darkest Hour

148 84.09%
  • Robert Pattinson -- Good Time

13 7.39%
  • Joaquin Phoenix -- You Were Never Really Here

28 15.91%
  • Donald Sutherland -- The Leisure Seeker

6 3.41%
  • Denzel Washington -- Roman Israel, Esq.

94 53.41%
  • Other

9 5.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Actor: July

Pronoun(s): Greta Gerwig
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardys View Post
    That leaves Oldman, Cranston, Washington, Hanks and Day-Lewis and I'm still worried
    Never bet on Hanks. Never, especially for something late breaking. He doesn't care, industry doesn't care. Will likely take something that packs a lot of heat and transformational for him to be nominated again. Cranston probably most vulnerable if film received middling reviews, which I doubt. I hear the Gilroy's lack of structure and traditional plot may alienate audiences, well from those who read the script, so there's a "slight" possibility that film doesn't live up to its potential.

If the PTA comes out, DDL will happen. No other if's about it.
    Last edited by DirkDiggler; 07-19-2017 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DirkDiggler View Post
    Never bet on Hanks. Never, especially for something late breaking. He doesn't care, industry doesn't care. Will likely take something that packs a lot of heat and transformational for him to be nominated again. Cranston probably most vulnerable if film received middling reviews, which I doubt. I hear the Gilroy's lack of structure and traditional plot may alienate audiences, well from those who read the script, so there's a "slight" possibility that film doesn't live up to its potential.

If the PTA comes out, DDL will happen. No other if's about it.
    Inherent Vice.

Quote Originally Posted by Contention View Post
    Inherent Vice.
    DDL was in Inherent Vice? Oh

Quote Originally Posted by tyjagi View Post
    DDL was in Inherent Vice? Oh
    DDL was in Nine?

DDL was in Nine?
    Do you really think this film will be as bad as Nine

I know you're a PTA hater and he doesnt have the best overall track record, but this is a showcase role in what is a buzzy and eventual final film for DDL

I know you're a PTA hater and he doesnt have the best overall track record, but this is a showcase role in what is a buzzy and eventual final film for DDL
    I can see a scenario where the film is so alienating that even DDL can't snatch a nomination. I can also see DDL winning. I just don't think it's a sure thing.

I can't imagine DDL not getting nominated unless it's a total bomb (which I doubt) or the film gets pushed to 2018 -- more likely than the former since PTA isn't known to be a super fast worker.

"'There came from his lips no wordy protestation such as formal lovers use. No eloquence was his, nor did he suffer from the lack of it. He simply enfolded her in his manly arms.'"

I dont like to speak in absolutes, especially in July, but unless its Silence level late (should be screened before Thanksgiving) or just completely inaccessible, Focus must know what they have on their hands if they're adamant on Christmas release

I dont imagine they would rush out a PTA DDL film while already having a firm acting contender unless they have decent faith in it

With it rumored to be DDL's last role, it'll already be a bigger priority screener than before

I dont like to speak in absolutes, especially in July, but unless its Silence level late (should be screened before Thanksgiving) or just completely inaccessible, Focus must know what they have on their hands if they're adamant on Christmas release

I dont imagine they would rush out a PTA DDL film while already having a firm acting contender unless they have decent faith in it

With it rumored to be DDL's last role, it'll already be a bigger priority screener than before
    All I know is I saw Inherent Vice first day at the NYFF in a room full of PTA stans, and they were not down with that movie. It got an obligatory screenplay nomination because of the mystique of Pynchon, who is a top 3 living writer period, but the film underwhelmed big-time commercially and at the Oscars (given some of us familiar with the source material saw Chinatown/L.A. Confidential potential). If PTA just makes another messy movie noodling around, the delusional commendation of Kent Jones et al. won't be enough; Phantom Thread could fail hard.

Washington
    Cranston
    DDL
    Oldman
    Hanks

Cumberbatch
    Chalamet
    Bardem
    Last edited by rocmindu; 07-31-2017 at 01:15 PM.

All I know is I saw Inherent Vice first day at the NYFF in a room full of PTA stans, and they were not down with that movie. It got an obligatory screenplay nomination because of the mystique of Pynchon, who is a top 3 living writer period, but the film underwhelmed big-time commercially and at the Oscars (given some of us familiar with the source material saw Chinatown/L.A. Confidential potential). If PTA just makes another messy movie noodling around, the delusional commendation of Kent Jones et al. won't be enough; Phantom Thread could fail hard.
    You seem to be speaking definitively as if your opinion was consensus. You hate PTA, so even though you bring up points about accessibility which are already clear, I'm not sure why we should value your biased opinion? This is not Inherent Vice-- this is a completely different, more prestigious film with a Hollywood legend in his last role. It has more upside than Vice ever did. Searchlight was also in contention for buying the film, so its indicated this is a more polished film. These are 2 artists who will have a strong fanbase regardless. I also don't know why you'd ever think it was getting huge Oscar attention with that Dec release and WB announcing Sniper in August (early word also spread around april that movie was not awards friendly at all), and it still got good reviews overall with 81 MC even with all the detractors.

If DDL delivers a showy performance and it's seen on time, and not some bleak, weird disaster, I wouldnt doubt a nom-- I also dont think Focus would be willing to release a film like that
    Last edited by tyjagi; 07-19-2017 at 09:50 PM.

I cannot stress enough how unlikely this is. This is without a doubt the weakest performance he's ever done.
    IMO
    Have you seen the film already? In that case, I'm going to acknowledge that you have a more expert opinion on the subject, but one should never underestimate Weinstein, especially if he has no other strong contender. Look at what he did with "Lion". Patel won the BAFTA and was very likely #2 in the end. Some people didn't seem to care for Cumberbatch in "Imitation Game" as well, but that didn't stop him nor his film, obviously.

What do you think Weinstein's getting? It's unlikely that he won't get any of his performers a nom.

Cranston is happening and I would even go as far as saying he might be competitive for a win.
    How can anyone ever doubt Cranston? He's not in danger. He IS the danger.

If the consensus TOP 4 are he, Day-Lewis, Oldman and Washington right now, I'd say Denzel is the weakest one. Only because Gilroy almost brought Gyllenhaal nom for "Nightcrawler", that doesn't mean he has to become a perennial awards favourite from now on. He's been doing obscure work for decades, so he could be a one-hit wonder for all we know. I also tend to be sceptical about films that are completed quickly in order to give them an award-qualifying release. It often shows in the end.

Interesting that 4 of the 2012 nominees could all return this year, with the winner looking like one of the safest bets of the season. Doubt Jackman and Phoenix are going to be nommed, though.
    Last edited by George Addison; 07-20-2017 at 03:20 AM.

Man is not an animal BillCipher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by George Addison View Post

How can anyone ever doubt Cranston? He's not in danger. He IS the danger.

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This exercise will help you with your concentration...What Color are my eyes?

Is Boyega lead or supporting?

Quote Originally Posted by Cluedon657 View Post
    Is Boyega lead or supporting?
    Apparently he's going lead.

"'There came from his lips no wordy protestation such as formal lovers use. No eloquence was his, nor did he suffer from the lack of it. He simply enfolded her in his manly arms.'"

Quote Originally Posted by gelseykirkland View Post
    Apparently he's going lead.
    That seems risky at best. Still think he can get in over Garfield though. Poulter may have a good shot at getting a Supporting nod. By the looks of things his role's eye catching.

Quote Originally Posted by with_one_voice View Post
    Who's weakest though of Cranston Day-Lewis Oldman Washington ? I have these as my top four and feel they are looking pretty good in this race (to somewhat varying degrees), but curious which one folks find to be most vulnerable or what type of scenario would lead to a miss
    Obviously this is just my opinion and the general consensus seems to disagree but I think Roman Israel, Esq. is at best an acting play for Washington. At least in the version of the script that I read, Farrell and Ejogo and Sanders' characters do virtually nothing and the plot is mostly nonexistent; the purpose for the story imo is really just a character study/acting showcase for one character. I'm not saying Washington is gonna miss, but I am definitely more cautious than most about any larger prospects for this movie. It's also pretty hard to get nominated 2 years in a row; it's happened 24 times in the last 17 years (1.4 per year) so if you're predicting Streep/Shannon/Spencer/Williams/Kidman/Garfield just be weary of overpredicting last year's nominees. I feel really good about Oldman and Cranston and it would be hard to ignore DDL even if the film fails to connect otherwise.

1. Day Lewis
    2. Oldman
    3. Washington
    4. Cranston
    5. Hanks

Pronoun(s): King
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin11 View Post
    Obviously this is just my opinion and the general consensus seems to disagree but I think Roman Israel, Esq. is at best an acting play for Washington. At least in the version of the script that I read, Farrell and Ejogo and Sanders' characters do virtually nothing and the plot is mostly nonexistent; the purpose for the story imo is really just a character study/acting showcase for one character. I'm not saying Washington is gonna miss, but I am definitely more cautious than most about any larger prospects for this movie. It's also pretty hard to get nominated 2 years in a row; it's happened 24 times in the last 17 years (1.4 per year) so if you're predicting Streep/Shannon/Spencer/Williams/Kidman/Garfield just be weary of overpredicting last year's nominees. I feel really good about Oldman and Cranston and it would be hard to ignore DDL even if the film fails to connect otherwise.
    But no one is predicting Shannon, Spencer, Williams and Kidman. Streep will definitely get another nomination because she's Streep, Garfield is vulnerable, but could happen.

Join the Church of SaoRISE

THE POST
    THE BIG SICK • FOXTROT
    Christopher Nolan • Joe Wright
    Saoirse Ronan • Holly Hunter • Timothée Chalamet • Andrew Garfield • Mary J. Blige • Hugh Jackman
    Darkest Hour (Screenplay) • Blade Runner 2049 (Production Design) • Darkest Hour (Make Up & Hairstyling) • "Remember Me" from Coco (Song) • Last Flag Flying (Screenplay)

Aren't they all rumored to be his last?