User Tag List

Page 16 of 90 FirstFirst ... 6101112131415161718192021222666 ... LastLast

Thread: Barry Jenkins to adapt James Baldwin's "If Beale Street Could Talk"

Please allow me to vouch for mine. CrownOnTheGround's Avatar
    Pronoun(s): He/Him
    I still listen to Britell’s gorgeous ‘Moonlight’ score, so I’m very happy he’s working with Jenkins again.

Likewise, I really can't imagine Moonlight having the emotional impact that it does without that score. Truly the best of the year for me,

Barry Jenkins Got Help From Moonlight Playwright on James Baldwin Adaptation

Jenkins also said he recently turned to playwright Tarell McCraney, whose play he had adapted into the Oscar-winning Moonlight, and had him watch an early cut of Beale Street, which is currently in postproduction. “Tarell made this beautiful comment after seeing a cut of the film. He’s like, ‘Oh, you made this New York. It’s not a New York of places. It’s a New York of faces,’” Jenkins said. “I think the faces that existed in the time of Baldwin are still present in the New York I see today and the New York that we made this film.”

Because Jenkins is not a New Yorker, he aimed to be “a termite about working here.” While working on the film, he and cinematographer James Laxton would record sounds from the city, especially underground. “If someone was busking, we would record the busker,” he said. This practice came in handy for a scene where one of the main characters, Fonny, is sculpting in his basement apartment, when they remembered that Laxton had recorded a saxophone player while waiting for the F train.

“It’s played in minor keys and then there are all these arpeggios and then the song descends, and as it descends the train comes into the station from afar. You just hear this rumble,” Jenkins explained. “I’m in this set, built by Mark Friedberg, an amazing production designer. The roof is off. Stephan James is sculpting to Baldwin’s words and some person who I will never meet is playing a saxophone underground and the rumble of New York City is in my film.”

Jesus offing Christ. I need to see this now.

Please allow me to vouch for mine. CrownOnTheGround's Avatar
    Just hearing him talk about this film has me crting in the subway.

Can't wait for this!

Pronoun(s): Bro
    Depending on how faithful this adaptation is, Teyonah Parris will have a fantastic scene that I can't wait to see.

Met Stephan James this week and he is fine af; pulling for him
    Phantom Thread (2017)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ORANGE'71 View Post
    Britell's work on Moonlight is brilliant. Does he have something similar by quality in his career?
    His score for The Big Short is great, although it's not really something to be listened to on its own. I also like the main theme he wrote for Natalie Portman's "A Tale of Love and Darkness." Excited to hear what he comes with up with this year, in his double reteaming with the directors!

The score for Battle Of The Sexes is brilliant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lumierre View Post
    His score for The Big Short is great, although it's not really something to be listened to on its own. I also like the main theme he wrote for Natalie Portman's "A Tale of Love and Darkness." Excited to hear what he comes with up with this year, in his double reteaming with the directors!
    Thanks. I thought The Big Short was more compilation soundtrack than score, so I didn't even listen it.

Cast members talking about the movie in recent interviews

Dave Franco on His Netflix Drama ‘6 Balloons’ and Working with Barry Jenkins
    How was your experience, working with Barry Jenkins on If Beale Street Could Talk?

FRANCO: It was amazing! That was another job that I felt very fortunate to be a part of. It’s a smaller role, but I was just excited to work with him. At this point in my career, my number one criteria for choosing roles is just wanting to work with these directors who I really admire. Obviously, he falls into that category. t was incredible, just watching him and seeing how confident he is on set, and seeing how he creates a very safe and comfortable working environment where, as an actor, you feel like you can try anything and no one’s judging you. There’s a reason that he has the reputation that he does. He’s a pro. As an actor, I know that I’m gonna continue to learn and get better because I’m working with people like him.
    Brian Tyree Henry On His Friendship With Sterling K. Brown, 'Atlanta', And Reviving Freaknik
    I quickly want to talk about If Beale Street Could Talk. Have you finished shooting that?

We filmed that. It was so great because this was another project where I got to be home. It was literally shot four blocks from my house. It was perfect. And Barry Jenkins, man... First of all, I'm a James Baldwin enthusiast. I got to play James Baldwin a few years ago with Anna Deavere Smith. I literally got to transcribe his words, sound like him, move like him. I keep a copy of The Fire Next Time in my backpack. And, it was so nice, so great, filming in Harlem. It was cool. I think it's been time for some of James Baldwin's best to be put on screen. Barry Jenkins is an absolute genius. And everyone I worked with on this was absolutely amazing so I am excited to see how everything turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by stugohiglitz View Post
    So it could be December in USA?

Quote Originally Posted by Odette View Post
    So it could be December in USA?
    I honestly don't know but I feel like it's gonna be November

Quote Originally Posted by stugohiglitz View Post
    Completely unrelated. But because Backseat has a December release, and Where’d You go Bernadette is an October release -I’m going to assume Beale Street is going to have a November release. Still unsure where Annapurna wants to put The Sisters Brothers because their fall slate looks full already. Maybe that will get the coveted Thanksgiving spot? What do you guys think?

This means nothing for the U.S. release date. Typically January releases for this type of film are given an October/November release date in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by chrispepper View Post
    This means nothing for the U.S. release date. Typically January releases for this type of film are given an October/November release date in the US.
    Yes particularly all awards films that are released in Autumn in the US are released in January in the UK.

Makes for a very good start to the year

Very excited about this movie. I remember that weeks before the news came out of the adaptation of this book I was thinking that Todd Haynes would be a good choice to adapt one of Baldwin's books. But Barry turned out to be a better choice.
    I hope that we will soon have an adaptation of Giovanni.

The French Dale Dickey
    I’ve deleted all of the comments about TSB. Go to the Test Screening Thread where all such conversation is supposed to take place.