Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wind River (Sheridan, 2017)

You should see Hell or High Water, it's his most entertaining script

wow.

Pronoun(s): Bro
    I agree with a lot of Cinnamon's thoughts on this. I thought this was really well written, though I could understand the criticisms of being on the nose and overwritten at times. I didn't like it quite as much as Hell or High Water (which is a high mark), but I thought it was richer than Sicario (which I thought was very good).

However, after watching this, I felt like the reveal flashback was completely unnecessary. You already got a sense that the guys on the oil rig site were the perpetrators and that the group of protagonists was in danger before the flashback; and after the flashback you get confirmation of everything that happened to Natalie and her boyfriend. So it felt like Sheridan hammering the audience over the head. Plus it killed the momentum of the present. After thinking about the film for a while though, I did feel like it would be a shame to remove the scene and not have Natalie come alive as a fully realized human being, so I'm torn. I guess I can slightly forgive the scene for the sake of Natalie's character (another credit to Sheridan that he was able to create a fully realized female character in a short time), but the flashback was the one big thing that felt off to me.

the wickedly-talented, one and only... siowafc's Avatar
    Pronoun(s): Legend
    I think the flashback actually ramps up the tension because it gives the audience a glimpse of just how horrible these people are and that what is behind that door will be even worse than what Elizabeth Olsen's (naive) character could possibly imagine.
    The New Holiday Charity Single From STAN AID

The greatest gift they'll get this year is Life (2017)
    (now available on Blu-Ray and DVD!)

Quote Originally Posted by average joe View Post
    I agree with a lot of Cinnamon's thoughts on this. I thought this was really well written, though I could understand the criticisms of being on the nose and overwritten at times. I didn't like it quite as much as Hell or High Water (which is a high mark), but I thought it was richer than Sicario (which I thought was very good).

However, after watching this, I felt like the reveal flashback was completely unnecessary. You already got a sense that the guys on the oil rig site were the perpetrators and that the group of protagonists was in danger before the flashback; and after the flashback you get confirmation of everything that happened to Natalie and her boyfriend. So it felt like Sheridan hammering the audience over the head. Plus it killed the momentum of the present. After thinking about the film for a while though, I did feel like it would be a shame to remove the scene and not have Natalie come alive as a fully realized human being, so I'm torn. I guess I can slightly forgive the scene for the sake of Natalie's character (another credit to Sheridan that he was able to create a fully realized female character in a short time), but the flashback was the one big thing that felt off to me.
    In defense of this flashback, it perfectly nails a situation that must have happened over millions of times. I haven't slept with coward murderers but I have slept next to over buzzed groups of morons and for me that uncertain, bad feeling is handled perfectly by bernthal. And then the Natalie actress (sorry, can't remember the name) trying to treat Pete's character as if he's kidding, hoping for him to get away, and things turning simply nightmarish. I think the way sheridan paid attention also to the security team members, they feel almost cliche for how assholes they are yet not really demonized, deserves praise, the small details and the interaction between them showed a good understanding of human behaviour, and it also fits that the murderers are in this case almost normal people; they're criminals of course but the feeling you have from these people is that they are a group of vile,coward and violent bastards in the condition of doing bad, group which the world is filled with. In some ways it's quite realistic. I found it pretty "personal", loved it.

I do agree it does not fits the pace, and I understand the way you see it, but it's honestly a flaw I enjoy was there, as what added to the movie for me was a bit more than what took out (a better paced sequence, subtlety)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodfella View Post
    Jlaw stans will say red sparrow
    Quote Originally Posted by tyjagi View Post
    attack Jennifer Lawrence again

All of Taylor Sheridan's usual writing style is still there along with its pleasures (tough character in tough situations, exploring a place and its people, pungent dialogue), although he takes so many elements from his past two works that it feels like a diluted version, and the toxicity from the corruption of system on a place/its people isn't as strong and layered, mainly because the screenplay focuses mostly on two outsiders and sidelines its Native American characters a bit too much. As director, Sheridan lacks the plunge-into-the-abyss precision of Sicario's Villeneuve or Mackenzie's flavorful locational specificity in Hell or High Water, but he still demonstrates a keen eye for suspenseful, violent set-pieces and eliciting strong performances from his cast. Borderline disastrous use of flashback though, both for its placement in the story and for its bitterness used to power that final action, which somehow seems almost too exploitative to me. 7/10
    Last edited by Peng; 10-14-2017 at 06:51 AM.

Didn't like it much.

It has a certain atmosphere and technical quality, but for a movie that ends with a sad reminder of the cruelty that Native American women suffer all the time without anyone bothering, I thought there should have been more focus on white people's indifference towards the matter and hypocritical attitude. Instead, we get a rather conventional crime and punishmen structure where it would've made little difference if the victims were white women. Twist about Renner's daughter is definitely phoned in, and I thought the characters lacked development for the most part. The representation of violence was also a bit cartoonish in the shooting scenes, and I think the movie would've worked better with less action and more psychological introspection. Renner was fine (I don't see Weinstein successfully operating an Oscar campaign for him from jail or the sex clinic, though ), but Olsen was the one who actually impressed me the most. That ending scene where she breaks into hysterical laughter on the hospital bed is played in such a natural way: it was a while since I had last seen her, and I believe she should be in our lives much more. Graham Greene was also good, but I thought the acting from the rest of the cast was quite bad, especially the main baddie.

Since the last action film set on the snow I had seen was THE SNOWMAN the day before, this looked like André De Toth's DAY OF THE OUTLAW in comparison, but I was still rather underwhelmed. I genuinely think Sheridan isn't that much of a writer: I loved SICARIO, but I thought it had more to do with Villeneuve's dynamic direction and the excellent cast. The story was rather simple. And I wasn't too big on HELL OR HIGH WATER, which I thought overindulged in Cormac McCarthysms in the dialogue and didn't present overly interesting characters and developments, regardless of Bridges' amazing performance. And the less interesting direction wasn't as quite as capable to elevate his material. All in all, I think he may be a serviceable action fillmaker, but more than that? I'm not sure.

Pronoun(s): He/Him/His
    I finally caught this at a second-run theater tonight, and the Weinstein Company logo was removed.

Anyway, I liked this fine, but it has its issues. The plot wasn't all that rich and complex as I wanted and the "woman who is less knowledgeable than her male counterparts" trope feels very tired after Sicario. I also wish we were introduced to more possible suspects before getting the reveal. This film also doesn't have the rich plotting and moral complexity of Hell or High Water or Sicario.

But most of this works. In terms of mood, it's very nicely crafted. It borrows heavily from far superior movies (Fargo, Winter's Bone, etc.) but is still tense and engaging on its own. The biggest asset of this film is the pairing of Olsen and Renner, both of whom do excellent work here. I also liked the supporting cast.

So in the end, this is a decent directorial debut, and I want to see more from Sheridan.

7/10
    "There's no hiding from this."

Damn, this was great, and had so much to say, especially during the times we live in where self-entitlement has reared its ugly head more than usual. Renner, Olsen, Grahame, Birmingham (especially contrasting against his performance in Hell or High Water), etc, were excellent. Renner, actually, was astounding in a personal best turn. And that hospital scene. Damn. I agree the script and direction aren't as strong as that of Hell or High Water (the way the flashback was presented wasn't as organic to the way the story played out), but I enjoyed this more than Sicario. And the cinematography and score were gorgeous. I got emotional several times.

I feel bad this film's awards chances will suffer due to its distributor.

8/10.

Quote Originally Posted by CINNAMON View Post
    For a standard "kill the killer thriller", the killer isn't really killed. I guess that the themes reverberate for me is more important than plot points. If I were to have a complaint about the plot establishing someone and then leaving them unresolved, it would be the lion for me, lol.
    Oh, but I think the film suggests that the paths of the killer and them lions will converge!

Quote Originally Posted by CINNAMON View Post
    The murder mystery for me wasn't central. What was important for me was how Renner would respond to the findings. I felt the film was more concerned with his personal sense of justice than it was with 'whodunnit'.
    I always go into thrillers now with zero expectations. If it can win me over with content and mood, I'm sold. If it turns out to have a crafty twist, then bonus!

Quote Originally Posted by Anp View Post
    ... To me, the beauty of the film was the variety of themes. Sheridan gives us 3 narratives all tied together with beautifully constructed characters. A man who lost his daughter and a part of himself, the reality of the natives in modern America, and women living in a man's world.
    I agree! Well said.
    Last edited by Cinesnatch; 12-02-2017 at 04:06 AM.

the wickedly-talented, one and only... siowafc's Avatar
    Pronoun(s): Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinesnatch View Post
    I feel bad this film's awards chances will suffer due to its distributor.
    But it's almost fitting that it's Weinstein's last film!

I think this is a marvelous and haunting movie. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
    The New Holiday Charity Single From STAN AID

The greatest gift they'll get this year is Life (2017)
    (now available on Blu-Ray and DVD!)

I absolutely LOVED this.