Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Grammy Predictions

Godney Warrior † Disciple of TayLord veritas's Avatar
    Pronoun(s): She/Her
    Quote Originally Posted by Brazilianmovies View Post
    She really, really needs it. I hope the Grammys pull through and acknowledge her in a big way, but it's not looking good...

the wickedly-talented, one and only... siowafc's Avatar
    Pronoun(s): Legend
    The photo is horrible! No wonder Rolling Stone is going bankrupt or whatever.
    The New Holiday Charity Single From STAN AID

The greatest gift they'll get this year is Life (2017)
    (now available on Blu-Ray and DVD!)

Banned
    I feel another Sam Smith sweep coming on this year at the Grammys...

Quote Originally Posted by btchplz View Post
    I feel another Sam Smith sweep coming on this year at the Grammys...
    Definitely not.

Banned
    Or another Brit, Ed Sheeran. We have taste over here.

Maggie Smith Black Mambazo Eduardo Zuckerberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by btchplz View Post
    Or another Brit, Ed Sheeran. We have taste over here.
    Sam Smith AND Ed Sheeran?

Even vanilla rolls its eyes at this basicness.
    Three Billboards Fantasy League Presents

TEAM EDUARDO ZUCKERBERG

CALL ME BY YOUR NAME
    TIMOTHÉE CHALAMET · ARMIE HAMMER

BPM · Foxtrot · Jordan Peele, Get Out (Director) · Denis Villeneuve, Blade Runner 2049 (Director) · Richard Jenkins, The Shape of Water · Hong Chau, Downsizing
    Jessica Chastain, Molly's Game · Lesley Manville, Phantom Thread · Emily V. Gordon and Kumail Nanjiani, The Big Sick (Screenplay) · Steven Rogers, I, Tonya (Screenplay)
    Sayombhu Mukdeeprom, Call Me by Your Name (Cinematography) · Lee Smith, Dunkirk (Film Editing) · Sufjan Stevens - "Mystery of Love", Call Me by Your Name (Original Song)

Isn't it the consensus here that Sheeran is easily winning ROTY and SOTY, and we can only hope that Lamar, Lorde or something random (LCD Soundsystem?) will beat him in AOTY? I guess 1-800-273-8255 has a small chance to win SOTY and that's it (for some reason I just can't see Humble winning ROTY or SOTY)

liked Nicole Kidman before it was cool filmy's Avatar
    Pronoun(s): McTeague
    Quote Originally Posted by Vektor View Post
    Isn't it the consensus here that Sheeran is easily winning ROTY and SOTY, and we can only hope that Lamar, Lorde or something random (LCD Soundsystem?) will beat him in AOTY? I guess 1-800-273-8255 has a small chance to win SOTY and that's it (for some reason I just can't see Humble winning ROTY or SOTY)
    Sheeran for sure is winning several Grammys including ROTY+SOTY unless the Blue Ribbon Panel pulls some weird stuff in Gen Field when choosing the nominees

Quote Originally Posted by Vektor View Post
    Ed's frontrunner (I guess?) in ROTY, though I would like to think the Grammys would understand that, at this point, it is imperative for them to award Kendrick either AOTY or ROTY or both. Though "Despacito" taking ROTY wouldn't be quite so shocking either.

"Million Reasons" should take SOTY rather easily over the just-won-in-that-category Sheeran. Gaga's never won + Hillary Lindsey's got the entire Country block behind her + it just feels like a SOTY winner.

Quote Originally Posted by veritas View Post
    Ed's frontrunner (I guess?) in ROTY, though I would like to think the Grammys would understand that, at this point, it is imperative for them to award Kendrick either AOTY or ROTY or both. Though "Despacito" taking ROTY wouldn't be quite so shocking either.

"Million Reasons" should take SOTY rather easily over the just-won-in-that-category Sheeran. Gaga's never won + Hillary Lindsey's got the entire Country block behind her + it just feels like a SOTY winner.
    This sounds very optimistic! The Grammys will never understand anything.

Sheeran will almost certainly sweep -- his middlebrow cachet has never been higher.

I can totally see “Despacito” taking ROTY (unless they are surprisingly snubbed). And Sheeran is not getting back-to-back SOTY, so Gaga it is. Which means that Sheeran takes AOTY? Ugh, there’s truly no good outcome.

I don't think Ed Sheeran winning Song of the Year twice in three years is that crazy.

Bette Midler songs won back-to-back in 1990 and 1991! (And Roberta Flack songs in 1973 and 1974.)

More recently, Eric Clapton songs won twice in five years; both Adele and U2 had songs win twice in six years.

Maybe I am just not great at predicting the Grammys... but I don't think that Despacito or Million Reasons are getting anything in the GF, not even nominations. And why wouldn't Sheeran win SOTY again? Grammy history has countless precedents for back-to-back wins. I can only see that Logic song beating Shape of You in SOTY, because at least it has a strong awards narrative. But does awards narrative matter at the Grammys?

Honestly I didn't really pay too much attention to the music awards buzz this year, so my predictions will be incredibly wrong:

AOTY
    1. Melodrama, Lorde
    2. Damn, Kendrick Lamar
    3. Divide, Ed Sheeran
    4. 24K Magic, Bruno Mars
    5. American Dream, LCD Soundsystem

ROTY
    1. Shape of You, Ed Sheeran
    2. Humble, Kendrick Lamar
    3. That's What I Like, Bruno Mars
    4. 1-800-273-8255, Logic
    5. Believer, Imagine Dragons

SOTY
    1. Shape of You, Ed Sheeran
    2. 1-800-273-8255, Logic
    3. Humble, Kendrick Lamar
    4. Too Good at Goodbyes, Sam Smith
    5. Better Man, Little Big Town
    Last edited by Vektor; 10-12-2017 at 05:28 PM.

THE GRAMMY WHISPERER LOOKS INTO RECORD OF THE YEAR
    by Paul Grein
    http://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=308825

With online voting for the 60th annual Grammy Awards underway since 10/16, three singles seem sure to be nominated for Record of the Year—Ed Sheeran’s “Shape of You,” Kendrick Lamar’s “HUMBLE.” and Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee’s “Despacito” (featuring Justin Bieber).

But let’s start our discussion with this year’s big question mark in this category, Taylor Swift’s “Look What You Made Me Do.”
    “Look What You Made Me Do” was polarizing. But it did precisely what it was intended to do—it immediately put Swift back in the spotlight.

And the importance of megastars like Swift, Adele and Beyoncé to the Grammy telecast goes without saying. Swift opened the show five years ago with a performance of “We Are Never Ever…”

On the other hand, “Look What You Made Me Do” has none of the depth or timeliness of such rival contenders as Kesha’s “Praying” and Logic’s “1-800-273-8255” (featuring Alessia Cara & Khalid). Kesha’s song is about powerful men who exploit women (very timely in the year of the Harvey Weinstein scandal). Logic’s song is about suicide (very timely in the year that Chris Cornell and Chester Bennington took their own lives). Swift’s song is about how she and an unnamed rival (everyone assumes it’s Kanye West) really don’t get along.

Sam Smith’s current single, “Too Good at Goodbyes,” has the same soulful, choir-backed sound as “Stay With Me,” his breakout hit which won Record of the Year three years ago. He stayed in his comfort zone on a record that plays to his strengths.

Kesha’s power ballad “Praying” is widely seen as a rebuke to her former producer/mentor, Dr. Luke. As a song that directly responds to a pivotal event in an artist’s life, this ranks with Eric Clapton’s “Tears in Heaven,” which won both Record and Song of the Year for 1992, and Dixie Chicks’ “Not Ready to Make Nice,” which took both awards for 2006. The inspirational aspect of standing up to bullies gives this song a sense of importance and universality. And the never-ending scandals involving powerful men who exploit and prey on women (Weinstein, Bill Cosby, Bill O’Reilly, the late Roger Ailes) confirm that this is very pressing issue.

Logic’s “1-800-273-8255” (featuring Alessia Cara & Khalid) is a prime contender, thanks in part to the VMAs, which turned it into a smash. The staging of this song on that show, with survivors of suicide attempts gathered onstage, echoed the Grammys’ staging of Macklemore & Ryan Lewis’ marriage equality anthem “Same Love” four years ago. That was nominated for Song of the Year
    My early picks: Ed Sheeran’s “Shape of You,” Kendrick Lamar’s “HUMBLE.,” Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee’s “Despacito” (featuring Justin Bieber), Sam Smith’s “Too Good at Goodbyes,” Kesha’s “Praying.”

I don't buy their perspective on "LWYMMD" one bit. "Too Good at Goodbyes" is a flop that no1currs about, meanwhile Taylor garnered yet another record-breaking smash. She's in.

I do think "Praying" has been boosted over the past few weeks, though, so it'll be interesting to see how Kesha fares against, say, Portugal. The Man in the big three.

I think "Praying" makes more sense for Song of the Year, not Record, while Taylor makes sense for Record, but definitely not Song.

"Too Good at Goodbyes" is also pretty boring.

"Too Good At Goodbyes" is obviously not a flop, but I don't think it's getting close to ROTY/SOTY.

I really hope "Praying" can sneak into SOTY.

I'm wondering if we're underestimating Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit in AOTY.

They sort of fit the Sturgill Simpson mold perfectly.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by siowafc View Post
    I think "Praying" makes more sense for Song of the Year, not Record, while Taylor makes sense for Record, but definitely not Song.

"Too Good at Goodbyes" is also pretty boring.
    In your opinion...

'Stay With Me' could also have been accused of being boring. Since when has that stopped songs winning Grammys?

On that note, 'Praying' could be accused of being 'boring' too (it has an utterly basic chord progression, production and lyric).

All these personal opinions getting in the way of prediction here.