User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Grammy Predictions

The version with Beyonce spent a week at #1 but then she was discredited because the original version was outpacing it. The original is currently #3 on iTunes and getting all the radio airplay, while the Beyonce version stalled out almost immediately.

Godney Warrior † Disciple of TayLord veritas's Avatar
    Pronoun(s): She/Her
    Quote Originally Posted by dyedred19 View Post
    The version with Beyonce spent a week at #1 but then she was discredited because the original version was outpacing it. The original is currently #3 on iTunes and getting all the radio airplay, while the Beyonce version stalled out almost immediately.
    Incorrect. The version with Beyoncé, like I said, spent five weeks at #1; she was discredited in its sixth and final week at the top because the original--at that point--was outpacing it.

Per the linked Billboard article--

As previously reported, "Perfect" has reverted to being billed as by Sheeran solo on almost all Billboard charts after five weeks in which Beyoncé received co-lead credit following the release of its duet version. After its first week of release, that version was the most dominant in sales and streams, while also receiving significant airplay, as it was being promoted to radio.

Pronoun(s): He/Him/His
    Quote Originally Posted by veritas View Post
    Incorrect. The version with Beyoncé, like I said, spent five weeks at #1; she was discredited in its sixth and final week at the top because the original--at that point--was outpacing it.

The King of Cannes 2018

Speaking of Beyonce, her collaboration with Eminem is likely a safe bet for Rap/Sung nomination.
    I do wonder how Eminem will fare on the Grammys, his buzz has faded and younger rap stars are bigger than ever

Hmm interesting. I had this wrong.

I cannot in good conscience support anything Ed Sheeran, so I hope this doesn't come anywhere near the Grammys.

It's actually really interesting and disappointing that, in a year when they actually made some great decisions with their nominees, they still managed to fuck up the winners. I hope they continue snubbing artists like him. At least we don't have to worry about "End Game."

Quote Originally Posted by calculator View Post
    Speaking of Beyonce, her collaboration with Eminem is likely a safe bet for Rap/Sung nomination.
    Now that is one song that really bombed. River will probably be his submission.

Yeah, "River" is going to be his best bet. That song is climbing again after the release of the video.

"River" is horrendous but Legend Sheeran is the only good part of it. Still, I would rather the "Perfect" duet be his Grammy ticket.

The King of Cannes 2018

Pronoun(s): él
    Quote Originally Posted by siowafc View Post
    Hardys trying to bury Taylor but we all know it ain't working...

It's hard for me to believe some people are still stanning for a clearly over-awarded artist like Taylor Swift, especially in the middle of the racist crisis the Grammys are facing and with her being the icon of White US. It's been 10 years since the last time a Black artist won, and 15 since the last (and only) rap/hip-hop winner. Through this period we've seen geniuses like Kendrick Lamar, Frank Ocean, Kanye and Beyoncé systematically lose to lesser artists, all of them White with the exception of Bruno Mars.

These artists should follow Frank's route and stop submitting to this incredibly obsolete awards group, and forget about its endogamic taste. I mean even the Oscars have awarded two Black films in the past five years, which is ironic considering how vaster their contribution is to music than to film.

DESTROYER
    Quote Originally Posted by mysteryfan04 View Post
    "River" is horrendous but Legend Sheeran is the only good part of it. Still, I would rather the "Perfect" duet be his Grammy ticket.
    Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Inky View Post
    Shut the fuck up.
    I'm obviously just kidding but this post is the most horrifying thing I've read here recently and that includes everything George Addison, Edgar and J-bravo have ever said!

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    It's hard for me to believe some people are still stanning for a clearly over-awarded artist like Taylor Swift, especially in the middle of the racist crisis the Grammys are facing and with her being the icon of White US. It's been 10 years since the last time a Black artist won, and 15 since the last (and only) rap/hip-hop winner. Through this period we've seen geniuses like Kendrick Lamar, Frank Ocean, Kanye and Beyoncé systematically lose to lesser artists, all of them White with the exception of Bruno Mars.

These artists should follow Frank's route and stop submitting to this incredibly obsolete awards group, and forget about its endogamic taste. I mean even the Oscars have awarded two Black films in the past five years, which is ironic considering how vaster their contribution is to music than to film.

Pronoun(s): RooneHe/SaoirHis

three pages in and we can close this thread. the 2019 grammys case is closed.

You contradicted yourself by complaining about an "over-awarded" white artist, but then said that those well-known black artists should not submit their work, therefore preventing them from winning. whatisthetruth.gif.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardys View Post
    Hmm...

I'm obviously just kidding but this post is the most horrifying thing I've read here recently and that includes everything George Addison, Edgar and J-bravo have ever said!

Not that "Perfect" is particularly great, but I would rather it get Grammy nods over "River." Not that being a better song than "River" is much of an accomplishment, but still.

Also, if "Perfect" gets some love, that possibly means more nominations for Beyonce.

The King of Cannes 2018

You contradicted yourself by complaining about an "over-awarded" white artist, but then said that those well-known black artists should not submit their work, therefore preventing them from winning. whatisthetruth.gif.
    Grammys are over-awarding white artists therefore black artists should stop submitting. Zero contradictions, soraya.gif, oh wait:

Grammys are over-awarding white artists therefore black artists should stop submitting. Zero contradictions, soraya.gif, oh wait:

But wouldn't this just encourage the Grammys to keep awarding white artists?

The King of Cannes 2018

Logically, yes.

I still don't understand what all of that has to do with Taylor Swift.

Of course, but they're obsolete, they're done, so it wouldn't be relevant. Or maybe they would force them to award the younger black artists at their prime, because apparently when you're white you can easily win at your 20s (Adele, Taylor) but you have to be SUPER DUE to win if you're black (Herbie Hancock, Ray Charles). I'm sure they would eventually give Kanye, Kendrick, Beyoncé and/or Frank an AOTY consolation award when they're older and not for the albums.

But honestly after you make Taylor Swift a double AOTY winner I give zero fucks what they do. 30 seconds into To Pimp a Butterfly (Wesley's Theory) and Kendrick has shown more talent than Taylor Swift in her whole discography.

Quote Originally Posted by Dina View Post
    Logically, yes.

I still don't understand what all of that has to do with Taylor Swift.
    I'm not saying it's her fault but she has benefited from it. Her awards reflect the severe racism in the industry, the US, the world. In other words:

Uh...but that's a problem with The Recording Academy, not Taylor Swift; THEY need to, like AMPAS has begun to, take broader strides to diversify their membership, and fast. I will continue to remain a lifelong fan of an artist like Taylor regardless of who does or does not give them awards, provided I continue adoring their output--same goes for Kendrick and Frank and Beyoncé (and Kanye, if he'd ever serve me a MBDTF again).

ETA:

But honestly after you make Taylor Swift a double AOTY winner I give zero fucks what they do. 30 seconds into To Pimp a Butterfly (Wesley's Theory) and Kendrick has shown more talent than Taylor Swift in her whole discography.
    And that's your opinion, it doesn't make it de facto. What Taylor's music has done for, meant for me throughout my life colors my opinion on her and why I celebrated her second AOTY win, even if it was over something as equally monumental (on a completely different plane) as To Pimp a Butterfly; doesn't make me "right" or "wrong." It's just my opinion.
    Last edited by veritas; 02-15-2018 at 05:12 PM.

Uh...but that's a problem with The Recording Academy, not Taylor Swift; THEY need to, like AMPAS has begun to, take broader strides to diversify their membership, and fast. I will continue to remain a lifelong fan of an artist like Taylor regardless of who does or does not give them awards, provided I continue adoring their output--same goes for Kendrick and Frank and Beyoncé (and Kanye, if he'd ever serve me a MBDTF again).
    If you read carefully you'll note I'm not blaming her. I'm just saying (subjectively but still right about it) she was not the best of those years, and objectively, she DEFINITELY does not need any more AOTY Grammys. Every award she gets just reflects how racist the Academy can be and how doomed they are to stay irrelevant after this flagrant mistakes.

And that's your opinion, it doesn't make it de facto. What Taylor's music has done for, meant for me throughout my life colors my opinion on her and why I celebrated her second AOTY win, even if it was over something as equally monumental (on a completely different plane) as To Pimp a Butterfly; doesn't make me "right" or "wrong." It's just my opinion.
    Do we really have to go through posts like this? Aren't forums and dialogue inherently about opinions?

I'm not saying it's her fault but she has benefited from it. Her awards reflect the severe racism in the industry, the US, the world. In other words:

I mean, sure I guess, but you did say:

It's hard for me to believe some people are still stanning for a clearly over-awarded artist like Taylor Swift
    You ARE basically saying that because she's so rewarded people shouldn't like her anymore, at least it surprises you for some reason. Like her success at the Grammys should affect the way people view her, basically, like it's her fault. So, I'm still not understanding your point.

Quote Originally Posted by Dina View Post
    You ARE basically saying that because she's so rewarded people shouldn't like her anymore, at least it surprises you for some reason. Like her success at the Grammys should affect the way people view her, basically, like it's her fault. So, I'm still not understanding your point.