Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 61 to 67 of 67

Thread: 2019 Grammy Predictions

  1. #61
    Senior Member Carolette's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2015
    Location: Manhattan
    Posts: 367
    Fearless was easily the best album nominated for AOTY and I'm never going to understand the fury for 1989 winning. One can think that Kendrick's album was more deserving without making it sound as if 1989 was some undeserving piece of trash. That 1989 won does not reflect the Academy's irrelevance, it was the biggest album of that year and a monumental victory for female singer-songwriters, not to mention the album's content is (mostly, if we just take Bad Blood out! but that's still a bop too) a smart, effervescent expression of millennial love and heartbreak. It also contains numerous pop gems that have stood and will stand the test of time.

    Adele's 2 AOTY is much more problematic.
    everything comes full circle

  2. #62
    H-town vicious Hardys's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2015
    Location: Portugal
    Posts: 11,336
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolette View Post
    Fearless was easily the best album nominated for AOTY and I'm never going to understand the fury for 1989 winning. One can think that Kendrick's album was more deserving without making it sound as if 1989 was some undeserving piece of trash. That 1989 won does not reflect the Academy's irrelevance, it was the biggest album of that year and a monumental victory for female singer-songwriters, not to mention the album's content is (mostly, if we just take Bad Blood out! but that's still a bop too) a smart, effervescent expression of millennial love and heartbreak. It also contains numerous pop gems that have stood and will stand the test of time.

    Adele's 2 AOTY is much more problematic.
    How so?

  3. #63
    forever pressedt benutty's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2016
    Location: Waterloo, Iowa
    Pronoun(s): RooneHe/SaoirHis
    Posts: 3,539
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolette View Post
    Fearless was easily the best album nominated for AOTY and I'm never going to understand the fury for 1989 winning. One can think that Kendrick's album was more deserving without making it sound as if 1989 was some undeserving piece of trash. That 1989 won does not reflect the Academy's irrelevance, it was the biggest album of that year and a monumental victory for female singer-songwriters, not to mention the album's content is (mostly, if we just take Bad Blood out! but that's still a bop too) a smart, effervescent expression of millennial love and heartbreak. It also contains numerous pop gems that have stood and will stand the test of time.

    Adele's 2 AOTY is much more problematic.
    I just....

  4. #64
    dos mil cuarenta y seis Aldo's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2007
    Location: mx
    Pronoun(s): él
    Posts: 4,849
    Quote Originally Posted by Dina View Post
    You ARE basically saying that because she's so rewarded people shouldn't like her anymore, at least it surprises you for some reason. Like her success at the Grammys should affect the way people view her, basically, like it's her fault. So, I'm still not understanding your point.
    You jump into conclusions so indulgently. This makes no sense. Once again, try to read what I wrote and not what you want me to have said... her success at the Grammys should at the very least calm your stanning, but you clearly have no sensibility on how her wins reflect a serious racial issue.

    For example I would've never cared if DAMN lost AOTY had To Pimp a Butterfly received the Grammy it had to win.

    Fanboy-ism affects these forums so much.



  5. #65
    Senior Member Dina's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2013
    Posts: 1,896
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    You jump into conclusions so indulgently. This makes no sense. Once again, try to read what I wrote and not what you want me to have said... her success at the Grammys should at the very least calm your stanning, but you clearly have no sensibility on how her wins reflect a serious racial issue.

    For example I would've never cared if DAMN lost AOTY had To Pimp a Butterfly received the Grammy it had to win.

    Fanboy-ism affects these forums so much.
    I'm not reading what I want you to say. Saying her success should make people stan less is not saying that she should pay some price for her success? It's not her fault that she won those awards, yet you want people to refrain from supporting her because of it. What exactly am I making up here?

  6. #66
    H-town vicious Hardys's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2015
    Location: Portugal
    Posts: 11,336
    Quote Originally Posted by Dina View Post
    I'm not reading what I want you to say. Saying her success should make people stan less is not saying that she should pay some price for her success? It's not her fault that she won those awards, yet you want people to refrain from supporting her because of it. What exactly am I making up here?
    I don’t think Aldo wants to see Taylor Swift fans (or any other fandom, for that matter) to refrain from supporting their favorite artist. It’s just that said artist has won more than enough for such a short period of time and it’s time for the industry to look elsewhere, specially with such diversity and variety in the surroundings (musically speaking).

    Also, @Carolette is Taylor’s 2015 win really a monumental one for the female songwriters? In the same year Grimes released Art Angels, an album she designed by herself and no one else - the production, writing, arrangement and even the album artwork was ALL on her shoulders, something that Taylor has yet to achieve. So no her win is not representative of female songwriting because Taylor herself is not the only artist who writes her own material and therefore is not the token symbol of female songwriting.

  7. #67
    Member
    Join Date: Jun 2012
    Location: Guadalajara, Mexico
    Posts: 35
    I feel that this whole discussion about Taylor Swift loses its meaning. Yes, the academy is somewhat racist (I feel it's more of a genre bias). But by making "examples" out of people, you're discrediting their own hard work. I mean, even though everyone praises the nominations on their diversity, this was only a racial one, however the gender diversity in the General categories was null. However, I'm not gonna start saying that Bruno was just benefitting from being a man and that's why he won.

    You can attack the Academy without attacking an artist

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •