• Isabella Rossellini - Joy

2 5.71%
  • Other Option 1

0 0%
  • Other Option 2

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A Full Decade of "Trying It"... AW/AD serious cases of failed predictions 1

Quote Originally Posted by Luc View Post
    Out of all the Jake failures Stronger is probably my favorite. No one ever cared about that movie, and yet people kept bringing up his name.

Also, this happened:

This is so good The letterhead and signature and everything!

Quote Originally Posted by francesco-natale View Post
    Dench was SAG + GG nominated in a movie who was two times nominated by AMPAS. She campaigned as she has never done before, was a beloved 7 times nominee but she had to fight against Streep. I'm still sure she was 6th or 7th (with Chastain, I guess). IMHO, it's difficult to compare her to Kidman in Grace of Monaco or Kate Winslet in Wonder Wheel.

But, speacking of delusionnal, as a gooper, I remember Country Strong (even the Satellite didn't mention her) as my most painful wishful think (well, since Sylvia). and
    francesco, you need to check this:

-Or even if the nom is in play and had precursor noms, the clear insistence and negation of a potential snub in play.
    Like tylerleigh mentioned, some of the diehard Dench fans (With Blasty and Dealah on front of the battle) were COMPLETELY DELUSIONAL mentioning THERE WAS NO WAY 7 times Oscar nominee Judi Dench would be snubbed and even denying in a full twisted way how "The Shipping News" snub didn't count to her. It was simple ridiculous their level of negation especially when they mentioned how Robbie had ZERO chances to be nominated like how Blasty mentioned her "allegedly" snub in 2013 for TWOWS while mocking the film as "trashy lifetime film on ice skating" and Dealah saying there wasn't any opportunity for AMPAS voters to vote for someone trashy as Tonya Harding. Anyway, someone posted a poll of November 2011 in supporting actress and Dealah still voted for Dench in J. Edgar Gurls, the 1990s were OVER long time ago.

Anyway, the consideration about this was:

a. It was in Venice!!
    (But it was off comp. No Philomena)

b. She will have the BO film
    (With the exception of Bening, every other actress in play had their film with better BO numbers than Victoria and Abdul )

c. There was NO WAY Robbie would be SAG nominee
    (The snubbed one was Meryl Streep)

d. She's always nominated at the BAFTA
    (She was snubbed with Robbie nominated there and her film overperformed)

e. She's campaigning OMG
    (Robbie had the best narrative for being the producer of her indie film)

f. She won't be nominated by critics and guilds
    (She overperformed in that. She even got ISA and Gotham noms)

The full denial prior BAFTA noms against Robbie for Dench is SO funny in retrospective for that. They were SO ADAMANT as Dench as an unquestionable nominee while they had forgotten the AMPAS actually loves young actresses and starlets in the Lead category, Robbie's reviews were actually in line for contention and her narrative was relevant (Actress and producer). Even when Robbie nom was imminent, there was a talk gasp of Ronan's snub over Dench

But then, we had similar way with the discussion with Gosling's nom for LLL. People were so dismissed of the possibility to search random guesses I mean, even in the 1990s. (at the height of the blatant Oscar bait) the noms of Robert Foster, Emily Watson (for Breaking the Waves), Thelma and Louise, Three Colors: Red and The Silence of the Lambs actually happened

Like I mentioned in the first post, it was completely reasonable to predict Dench, it was delusional and try hard the fight as the unsinkable Dench like some of the stans did for the reasons mentioned above.
    Last edited by Kostas; 05-20-2018 at 04:00 AM.
    THREE GODDESS BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING, MISSOURI
    "See what happens when Nomi Malone came to Ebbing and meets Mildred Hayes. Double riots in town"
    Director: Erik Anderson
    Writer: Jeff Beachnau
    Starring 2-times Oscar winner Frances McDormand and Razzie Redemeer Winner Elizabeth Berkley.

Broken Jason

May this image forever live in the horrid nightmares of the denizens of Winslet-stan.

Kate Winslet for Wonder Wheel should win this easily. The way the film and her performance were hyped up before anyone saw it, in comparison to its reception at NYFF and beyond, was one of the biggest drops in expectations vs reality for a film that I've seen in a while. And the way Winslet kept praising Allen-particularly claiming he had the soul of a woman-even after the Dylan Farrow allegations caught on again just came off as kind of desperate and tacky. However, the behavior of her delusional stans during awards season was quite funny.

That Jennifer Aniston eating cake movie.

Aniston was a GG + BFCA + SAG nominee in a very weak year ... the media buzz was real and her missing was seen as a snub at the time. I don't think it was delusionnal to see her as a nominee this year. And even her bigger fans knew she was 5th at very best (I remember even CWG have her at 6th after Amy Adams bafta nom and GG win). It's not as if her snub was said impossible, after the awful (and unfair IMHO) reviews.

I don't think Benning last year is really "a AW try". She seemed a logical possibility early, but quite quickly she fails in the polls. However, I wonder about 21th century Women.

"If you want the girl next door ... go next door, Emma Stone is there"

Yep, the delusion with Aniston came from Clayton Davis mostly

Quote Originally Posted by Luc View Post
    Out of all the Jake failures Stronger is probably my favorite. No one ever cared about that movie, and yet peNople kept bringing up his name.

Also, this happened:

Now, speaking of this. The Leonard Bernstein biopic news was a full record for himself thought. Broken sophomore Oscar nom dreams in less of two weeks
    Last edited by Kostas; 05-20-2018 at 04:34 AM.
    "See what happens when Nomi Malone came to Ebbing and meets Mildred Hayes. Double riots in town"
    Starring 2-times Oscar winner Frances McDormand and Razzie Redemeer Winner Elizabeth Berkley.

I voted for Adele (wich to me is really the winner : I really don't see how she could have been nominated), Cornish and Mulligan.

We could have add Theron two times (Young Adult and Mad Max), couldn't we ?

"If you want the girl next door ... go next door, Emma Stone is there"

Nah, Theron wasn't reaching. After the SAG snubs Theron hype died out in both seasons. She has fans here but they didn't reached the levels of others on the list, if so, there were mostly rational.

Abbie Cornish is also losing the poll. Girl can't catch a break.

Pronoun(s): It
    LOL, poll cancelled. People just don't know what "trying it" means, as undoubtedly proved by Winslet leading it.

PEOPLE: TRYING IT DOESN'T MEAN A PREDICTION EVERYONE DOES AND TURNS OUT TO BE WRONG, TRYING IT MEANS PEOPLE KEPT TRYING TO MAKE HER HAPPEN EVEN AFTER REVIEWS AND BOX OFFICE AND PRECURSORS KILLED IT.

Abbie Cornish, Kidman in Grace of Monaco. Meryl in Hope Springs. THOSE, guys, those. Not Winslet or Barks. Those were sensible predictions people dropped when it was sensible to drop it.

Close the poll, Kostas. People don't get what you're asking.

Thank you for so much

DESTROYER
    Quote Originally Posted by some old French slut
    Why does a fucking young Portuguese cocksucker knows what a fucking follicle is in English and an old French slut like me doesn't?!

DESTROYER
    Jake Gyllenhaal for Stronger. It was obvious it wouldn’t happen (for a myriad of different reasons), yet Dirk claimed Jake would sweep ALL of the regional critics awards.

Same re: Breathe and its box office draws leading stars Andrew Garfield and Claire Foy.
    Quote Originally Posted by some old French slut
    Why does a fucking young Portuguese cocksucker knows what a fucking follicle is in English and an old French slut like me doesn't?!

President of the Laurie MEHcalf Fan Club DirkDiggler's Avatar
    Pronoun(s): Greta Gerwig
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardys View Post
    Jake Gyllenhaal for Stronger. It was obvious it wouldn’t happen (for a myriad of different reasons), yet Dirk claimed Jake would sweep ALL of the regional critics awards.

Same re: Breathe and its box office draws leading stars Andrew Garfield and Claire Foy.
    lol, Hardys is still obsessed with me I see and dragging me still for a movie I didn't even watch. I don't see you mentioning with one voice, who was high on Stronger's performances until the end too, while the Best Actor category was very in the air until SAG nomination day? These isolated events and offhanded comments are hardly cases of AW trying it. Rather was discussion because there was literally two viable spots in Best Actor and contenders were seemingly dropping like flies. Like, the near-panned Roman J. Israel made it through by the skin of its teeth despite critical/financial failure.

Melissa Leo though (which you didn't mention), you can rightfully burn me for I guess?

And , it was sorta surprising critics passed up Jake Gyllenhaal in a film that was transformative, universally acclaimed, and with Gyllenhaal singlehandedly reaching out to critics for votes but in the end was missing the "cool factor" and monetary value to see it through.

The Man Who Killed Don Quixote on my part haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingervitis View Post
    The Man Who Killed Don Quixote on my part haha.
    Well, at least you didn't cling onto that one past the point of rationality.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatshepsutely View Post
    Well, at least you didn't cling onto that one past the point of rationality.
    Indeed. Christopher Nolan winner predix over Guillermo Del Toro even after BAFTA om the other hand

Quote Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
    Indeed. Christopher Nolan winner predix over Guillermo Del Toro even after BAFTA om the other hand
    Nope were over that, the grass is always greener the year afterwards.