• Isabella Rossellini - Joy

2 5.71%
  • Other Option 1

0 0%
  • Other Option 2

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Full Decade of "Trying It"... AW/AD serious cases of failed predictions 1

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenKian View Post
    Uhm, why is no one mentioning the top 2 last year for Supporting Actress.

Kween Melissa Leo (Novitiate) and Michelle Pfeiffer (mother!)
    I was tempting to include Leo, but then I remember it wasn't just AW, it was a full pundits predictions outside this forum. Goldderby, Tom O'Neill, Anne Thompson, Ramin Setodeeh... If any case, AW left the Melissa Leo Oscar train way early (Except Dirk hoping the miracle ala Anna Karenina ) while all of the pundits were still predicting her even as winner (LMAO!!), then the BFCA happened and she wasn't nominated . But the MelissaLeo-mania (At least in comparation of Oprah and Jane Fonda, who were our winners even early December ), was suffocated when the film was failing to reach buzz at fall festivals. If so we were (surprising) more rationals with Melissa Leo buzz than pundits. Otherwise I would have include the circle of fans of Diane Kruger among them (With Setodeeh as President and Ellwood as veep ).

With Pfeiffer happened similar. If so the JLaw, Kate Winslet and even the Judi Dench stans (aka Blasty and Dealah) were more adamant for the UNQUESTIONABLE nom . Pfeiffer buzz was mostly for weak category and died out when the film premiered at Venice. It was huge during "Cheri"
    THREE GODDESS BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING, MISSOURI
    "See what happens when Nomi Malone came to Ebbing and meets Mildred Hayes. Double riots in town"
    Director: Erik Anderson
    Writer: Jeff Beachnau
    Starring 2-times Oscar winner Frances McDormand and Razzie Redemeer Winner Elizabeth Berkley.

Pronoun(s): RooneHe/SaoirHis
    Amy Adams, Arrival
    Quote Originally Posted by some ex-mod
    Holy shit. I can't believe I read this entire message by benusomething in meteor's post.

Quote Originally Posted by benutty View Post
    Amy Adams, Arrival

This is invalid.

That was more a legit snub than a case of AW being delusional.

Quote Originally Posted by VannVicente View Post
    Oh dear, Samantha Barks.

I remember when people on AW were predicting Les Mis to get up to 6 acting nominations: Jackman, Hathaway, Crowe, Seyfried, Barks, Redmayne. At some point, I think there were some people predicting Sacha Baron Cohen.
    Yes, there were plenty of predictions about Les Miz dominating the Oscars. And I remember the day when the mixed reviews began arriving. Most people gave up on it once they heard Crowe and Seyfried singing, LOL.

Out of all the Jake failures Stronger is probably my favorite. No one ever cared about that movie, and yet people kept bringing up his name.

Also, this happened:

Last edited by Luc; 05-16-2018 at 11:57 AM.

Again, I have the male list on first page. If you have other names for the male thread, tell me other suggestions for today.
    "See what happens when Nomi Malone came to Ebbing and meets Mildred Hayes. Double riots in town"
    Starring 2-times Oscar winner Frances McDormand and Razzie Redemeer Winner Elizabeth Berkley.

Would Leo for J. Edgar qualify?
    SHE DID IT ALL BY HERSELF!

It's civil rights. This is the 90s. Donezo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jali View Post
    01. She is winning NYFC!!!!
    (Meryl wins she isn't even in the top 3)

02. She lost, but that means she is winning LAFCA!!!
    (Yolande Moreau wins and Mulligan is the runner-up)

03. It doesn't matter, tomorrow she is going to be nominated for a Golden Globe!!
    (She is not nominated)

04. There's still hope she will win NSFC without any doubt!!!
    (3rd Runner-up, that's it)

05. OMG! She at the top 5 of the Bafta Longlist!!! She is going to be nominated for sure!
    (14 days later Audrey Tautou for Coco Chanel is nominated for a Bafta instead of her)

06. It doesn't matter she is going to be nominated for the Oscar, the race is open!!!
    (Helen Mirren is nominated for The last station instead of her)

07. She is nominated for an INOCA.

08. She is going to win the INOCA!!!
    (She loses even the INOCA)
    Thank you for this beautiful recap. The answer is always Abbie Cornish. Lawd.

NYFCC WINNER

Ur faves could never.

Pronoun(s): He/Him
    Lord, just like the movie, the Les Mis predictions were a mess. Especially after Clayton Davis raved about it and called it the best movie of 2012 and that it would win. And then the actual reviews came

In a way I don't blame them for thinking that at first but it was still fun to watch.

Dench was also a bit of kii because her stans were so persistent into pushing the narrative of her WINNING for a performance that was more of the same in a film no one cared about.

But I swear to Jesus and everything good on this Earth, the Kate Winslet shit takes the cake for delusion of the decade.

Hey Auntie...

Wait... how did I forget Joy

Quote Originally Posted by electric_storm View Post
    Wait... how did I forget Joy
    Everyone forgot Joy.

Pronoun(s): It
    Ugh, I forgot to vote for Oprah and Fonda. The Kidman cases with Grace of Monaco and, to a slightly lesser extent, Queen of the Desert, are the usual Kidmania craze, but those other two were AW at its echo chamber worst. The fake buzz started here, grew here, mutated into "she's the front-runner to WIN" here, and died everywhere except here. No, those two were never the front-runners, let alone for the win.

Thank you for so much

Dench was SAG + GG nominated in a movie who was two times nominated by AMPAS. She campaigned as she has never done before, was a beloved 7 times nominee but she had to fight against Streep. I'm still sure she was 6th or 7th (with Chastain, I guess). IMHO, it's difficult to compare her to Kidman in Grace of Monaco or Kate Winslet in Wonder Wheel.

But, speacking of delusionnal, as a gooper, I remember Country Strong (even the Satellite didn't mention her) as my most painful wishful think (well, since Sylvia). and

"If you want the girl next door ... go next door, Emma Stone is there"

"A full decade of trying it" = AW trying to deny that Kate Winslet is one of the greatest actresses of her/any generation after her Oscar win in 2008, Emmy win a few years later, and comeback nod/almost win in 2015.

You know who you are.

Pronoun(s): It
    Quote Originally Posted by jb View Post
    You know who you are.
    Yes. We're called people of taste.

Thank you for so much

Kate Winslet has an Emmy? I forgot about that.
    Well, I guess anybody can win an Emmy nowadays, unless your name is Angela Lansbury.

Pronoun(s): She/Her
    Quote Originally Posted by francesco-natale View Post
    Dench was SAG + GG nominated in a movie who was two times nominated by AMPAS. She campaigned as she has never done before, was a beloved 7 times nominee but she had to fight against Streep. I'm still sure she was 6th or 7th (with Chastain, I guess). IMHO, it's difficult to compare her to Kidman in Grace of Monaco or Kate Winslet in Wonder Wheel.

But, speacking of delusionnal, as a gooper, I remember Country Strong (even the Satellite didn't mention her) as my most painful wishful think (well, since Sylvia). and
    She even performed at CMAS

Quote Originally Posted by jb View Post
    "A full decade of trying it" = AW trying to deny that Kate Winslet is one of the greatest actresses of her/any generation after her Oscar win in 2008, Emmy win a few years later, and comeback nod/almost win in 2015.

You know who you are.
    Drop the Emmy and it's equal to her precedent Greer Garcon.

Quote Originally Posted by francesco-natale View Post
    True. But the "trying it" mostly comes from the argument that Dench would get nominated over Robbie. Seriously some stans were acting like there's NO POSSIBLE WAY that Robbie would get in over Dench. Some even created a completely false narrative that somehow the reviews were all focusing on Janney and Robbie will be overshadowed LMFAO. The reviews weren't like that in the first place.
    Announcement from Amy Adams

"Gurls, I'm going METHOD!!!"