Thread: The Xtina Thread: Trading the Oreos for new music

Please allow me to vouch for mine. CrownOnTheGround's Avatar
    Pronoun(s): He/Him
    Quote Originally Posted by erikdean View Post
    She should have just stayed being a Farrah Moan impersonator

Quote Originally Posted by erikdean View Post
    She should have just stayed being a Farrah Moan impersonator
    Who is that?

Mary Poppins flying to snatch your wigs.

Pronoun(s): Him
    The sales numbers for all those albums are a sad state, 15-20 years ago, 25,000 units sold (album #2 in that list) would struggle to crack the top 40 and now they can almost make #1. iTunes/google music/Spotify have destroyed album sales

Quote Originally Posted by Solarie View Post
    Who is that?

Quote Originally Posted by dyedred19 View Post
    Christina is never going to be close to relevant or successful again. Not a knock against her, it's just the truth. It's how things work.

The only women her age who have managed to have viable careers in pop music right now are Kelly Clarkson and Pink. The two of them have never really gone away. And they also have dynamic, exciting personalities. Christina does...not.
    @dyedred19

Don't say that, she's merely having a slump period like Mariah Carey did in the early 2000s, Pink also had her own troubles, her 3rd album was a flop and her 4th was on its way to being a flop until Justin Timberlake resurrected her career when he chose her to tour with him. Xtina will be back one day

the wickedly-talented, one and only... siowafc's Avatar
    Pronoun(s): Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Dmitri-Yuriev View Post
    @dyedred19

Don't say that, she's merely having a slump period like Mariah Carey did in the early 2000s, Pink also had her own troubles, her 3rd album was a flop and her 4th was on its way to being a flop until Justin Timberlake resurrected her career when he chose her to tour with him. Xtina will be back one day
    I don't know. I think Mariah and Pink were in decidedly different circumstances.

Mariah was the biggest female pop star of the 1990s, who had one flop album, and then came back with a critical and commercial smash that brought her to one of her highest career peaks ever. (And, to show you how truly fickle pop music can be, even that new success wasn't particularly long-lived.)

Likewise, Pink had one flop album (which still won her a Grammy!), but managed to rebound pretty quickly with her next album.

But Christina is a different case. It's not just one flop album, it's been a long-term decline since (basically) 2006, with three consecutive underperforming and underwhelming albums in a row. Each new album makes less of an impact than the one before. "One day" has become a decade year slump and at this point, she's been a flop for longer than she was a success. I won't deny she's a tremendously talented vocalist, but I think the odds of her getting everything together and becoming a relevant force in music again are pretty slim. She has bad management, a horrible promo team, and couldn't generate buzz even if she attacked a bee hive with a baseball bat.
    ​CRITICAL FAVE?

Toni Collette accepts the award for Best Actress in a Leading Role from the
    Southwest Kansas Regional Film Critics Association on Feb. 24th, 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by siowafc View Post
    I don't know. I think Mariah and Pink were in decidedly different circumstances.

Mariah was the biggest female pop star of the 1990s, who had one flop album, and then came back with a critical and commercial smash that brought her to one of her highest career peaks ever. (And, to show you how truly fickle pop music can be, even that new success wasn't particularly long-lived.)

Likewise, Pink had one flop album (which still won her a Grammy!), but managed to rebound pretty quickly with her next album.

But Christina is a different case. It's not just one flop album, it's been a long-term decline since (basically) 2006, with three consecutive underperforming and underwhelming albums in a row. Each new album makes less of an impact than the one before. "One day" has become a decade year slump and at this point, she's been a flop for longer than she was a success. I won't deny she's a tremendously talented vocalist, but I think the odds of her getting everything together and becoming a relevant force in music again is pretty slim. She has bad management, a horrible promo team, and couldn't generate buzz even if she attacked a bee hive with a baseball bat.
    Carey had two flop albums: "Glitter" and "Charmbracelet".

Pink's 4th album had a moderate hit with "Stupid Girls", but the album quickly faded as her 2nd single ('Who Knew") flopped failing to enter the hot 100, her third single "U+Ur Hand" was also flopping released in October 2006, yet it didn't debut on the hot 100 until January 2007 thanks to it getting exposure from touring with Timberlake, had she not toured with him the single would have also been forgotten (After the success of "U+Ur Hand", "Who Knew" was re-released becoming a hit). So all Xtina needs to do with get the right collaborators and the right exposure like you said. Although, no artist will have the same success with their albums in this digital and streaming age, its all about the singles now.

Christina Aguilera hasn't had a solo song chart inside the top 20 in over almost a decade. The most successful of her peers (Pink, Kelly, Britney) struggle to chart song themselves. It's a nasty game.

Once again, this isn't a knock against Christina. Her promo and the album itself (at least in my opinion) both suck, but that doesn't really matter. She could have released the best song of 2018 and it wouldn't have been a hit.

The biggest difference between Christina, Pink and Mariah is the time in between their albums that flopped. Their was a mere four year period between Glitter and Mariah finding success again. And she was much bigger in her prime. Christina hasn’t had a hit or anything even hit top twenty on Billboard off an album since 2006. And she’s at the point now where her singles don’t even chart. Her down period has been much longer and she’s hit lows the other two didn’t come close to. She’ll be 38 soon and probably won’t release another record until she’s over 40. I feel like the older she gets, the more unlikely a major comeback will be. In between this album, she had a successful stint on The Voice, multiple hits as a feature, ect. I think efforts have been made to get her back in the public eye without much luck. It really feels like her time as a major pop star is over.

Unfortunately, it's just insanely difficult for a woman to have any sort of longevity in today's music climate. Because I'm a masochist, I decided to look at last year's year-end Hot 100. There isn't a song from a solo female artist in the Top 20. The first entry is "Bodak Yellow" at #24. In total, only 12 of the 100 songs are fronted by a solo female artist. Of those 12, only three (Pink, Kesha, Katy Perry) are over the age of 31. We've already started to see what age has started to do to Katy Perry's career. It's just, sadly, not a viable business for woman of a certain age. It's barely viable for women in general.

the wickedly-talented, one and only... siowafc's Avatar
    Pronoun(s): Legend
    Unfortunately, it's just insanely difficult for a woman to have any sort of longevity in today's music climate. Because I'm a masochist, I decided to look at last year's year-end Hot 100. There isn't a song from a solo female artist in the Top 20. The first entry is "Bodak Yellow" at #24. In total, only 12 of the 100 songs are fronted by a solo female artist. Of those 12, only three (Pink, Kesha, Katy Perry) are over the age of 31. We've already started to see what age has started to do to Katy Perry's career. It's just, sadly, not a viable business for woman of a certain age. It's barely viable for women in general.
    This is getting a little off-topic, but this seems like such a recent development. Just a few years ago (in 2015), the cover story of EW was about the demise of the male pop singer.

http://ew.com/article/2015/07/06/slo...male-pop-star/

And looking at the 2014 and 2015 charts, the numbers are definitely a lot better for females (if not amazing). 2014 had 7 female songs in the year-end Top 20 and 30 overall, while 2015 has 5 in the Top 20 and 24 overall.

Is it just the switch the streaming changing the audience? Female pop stars did seem to do really well with digital sales: 6 of the Top 10 highest digital sales weeks of all-time are from female artists. Meanwhile, none of the all-time top streamed songs on Spotify are by female artists.
    ​CRITICAL FAVE?

Toni Collette accepts the award for Best Actress in a Leading Role from the
    Southwest Kansas Regional Film Critics Association on Feb. 24th, 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by siowafc View Post
    This is getting a little off-topic, but this seems like such a recent development. Just a few years ago (in 2015), the cover story of EW was about the demise of the male pop singer.

http://ew.com/article/2015/07/06/slo...male-pop-star/

And looking at the 2014 and 2015 charts, the numbers are definitely a lot better for females (if not amazing). 2014 had 7 female songs in the year-end Top 20 and 30 overall, while 2015 has 5 in the Top 20 and 24 overall.

Is it just the switch the streaming changing the audience? Female pop stars did seem to do really well with digital sales: 6 of the Top 10 highest digital sales weeks of all-time are from female artists. Meanwhile, none of the all-time top streamed songs on Spotify are by female artists.
    This is a big part of it. Male pop stars aren't faring that much better. If we're strictly talking pop, 12 of the 100 songs are from men (I didn't include Bruno Mars or Khalid or The Chainsmokers). Three are Shawn Mendes and two are Ed Sheeran. Granted, Ed Sheeran is at #1, but pop music in general has been faltering.

It's a different landscape. Rap and hip-hop perform very well on streaming, but they're doing well on iTunes and radio, as well. Radio still leans pop-heavy. At the end of the day, I think fans of rap and hip-hop (R&B, too) music are more rabid and passionate than anybody else right now.

Wait Taylor Swift is not in the top 20 from last year? That seems shocking considering how many records she broke last year with her single. Her album was also certified 3x platinum which I think is quite rare this day and age. I also read that her albums tend to not be available for streaming until several weeks or months after their release could that be helping her sell more than other artists? Perhaps they should take note?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Dmitri-Yuriev View Post
    Wait Taylor Swift is not in the top 20 from last year? That seems shocking considering how many records she broke last year with her single. Her album was also certified 3x platinum which I think is quite rare this day and age. I also read that her albums tend to not be available for streaming until several weeks or months after their release could that be helping her sell more than other artists? Perhaps they should take note?
    Reputation was available on streaming just a week after its release. Also Look What You Made Me Do was a hit, sure but it also disappeared pretty quickly from charts. It spent barely few weeks in the top 10.

Mary Poppins flying to snatch your wigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Solarie View Post
    Reputation was available on streaming just a week after its release. Also Look What You Made Me Do was a hit, sure but it also disappeared pretty quickly from charts. It spent barely few weeks in the top 10.
    But initially didn’t they state it would be available at a later time, giving no specific date and so she debuted with over 1.2 million that first week. Though I suppose we could chalked up her album sales to her fan base being more passionate about her.

“Masochist” is SO good.

And oh, someone on YT made a Blue Valentine montage with it:

Keanu Reeves + Winona Ryder + SHAAAAAAAADE = Destination Wedding

^ That Blue Valentine montage on top of the music is great indeed