User Tag List

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1216171819202122

Thread: The Handmaid's Tale: Season 2

http://ew.com/tv/2018/07/25/joseph-f...mpression=true

Spoiler: it's yet another rape scene.

I have no confidence in the writing team anymore.

Fiennes successfully made his case with “long emails and defending and pushing, and feeling that Yvonne had tracked Serena so beautifully that her disenfranchisement with the regime and Fred was so beautifully charted it didn’t need a heavy scene to kind of suddenly push her over the edge.”

Pronoun(s): He/Him/His
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianFan View Post
    http://ew.com/tv/2018/07/25/joseph-f...mpression=true

Spoiler: it's yet another rape scene.

I have no confidence in the writing team anymore.
    It wouldn't have worked at all.

Blunt Force

Disappointed but not surprised at the writing team. “How can we push Serena Joy over the edge?” “RAPE!” Her turnaround was my favorite part of the finale in part because it’s still ambiguous what her next move(s) will be.

Quote Originally Posted by chrispepper View Post
    Yeah so that ending was really fucking stupid.

A desperation move from the writers who realized they had nowhere to go with this story.
    Basically this. This show has basically turned into addictive trash food tv. She tried multiple times to flee Gilead this season without letting thoughts of Hannah stop her, now of course when she could actually escape the show needs her to stay. What is she going to do from here? Wouldn’t she have been better seeing her other baby to safety and then coming up with an actual plan to rescue Hannah?

I finally caught up with the final few episodes and I hate to say this, but this show really is...not that good. Its OMGImportance has been conflated with quality. But I see it as not entirely different from The Walking Dead in its prime. It's entertaining as hell and pulls you in because the stakes are so high (i.e. literally life and death), but when you take that away, there's not much there other than good acting (particularly Bledel and Strahovski, in my opinion) and political resonance, but still it is being massively over-raved due to the Tr**p/P**ce administration. It also spends too much time preaching to the liberal choir in a heavy-handed way.

It got better as it went on, but I feel like, as a whole, it was as though the writers needed to fill up 13 hours of content, so just quickly came up with a collection of cheap thrills and escape attempts to fill up a season's worth. It's entertaining as a thriller, like in the episode where she's hiding out in the house and gives birth, but at the same time we know she can never truly escape or there is no show. Yet the show is probably going to continue to trick us into thinking she'll get out and stretching out this idea for 7 seasons. I really don't see how it can last any more than 5, though.

It was so obvious that June was going to stay behind, for the simple reason that there needs to be another season. But I'm actually more interested in how they deal with Alexis Bledel. Is she just going to be living in Canada like Moira? If so, they need to find a way to give her interesting material that isn't just a rehash of Moira's Canada storyline. Maybe she will reunite with her wife and raise Nichole together.

I'm going to be pissed when its continued OMGImportant narrative drives it to another Emmy win, this time over The Americans' masterful final season, but whatever.

That said, i'm all about Yvonne Strahovski winning. The way she characterizes Serena's conflicts is fascinating. This is a far-right extremist, who betrayed her gender to create a misogynist society, and it's so interesting to see how she navigates that, especially when it comes back to bite her in the ass when she tries to assert control as a woman (forging her husband's signature, or requesting that young girls learn to read the bible, for example. Those were two interesting storylines for her).

But I also love Bledel too even though she didn't have as much to do, so I wouldn't mind her winning again. There is something enigmatic about Emily, but also a profound sadness to her character that Bledel brings to life so beautifully. Throughout the season we see her seemingly in a state of resignation, but at the same time she perfectly captures the internal rage that she suppresses moment to moment (I loved the scene of her yelling at Janine's foolish behavior in the colonies, or when she returns to being a handmaid and tells June that anyone complicit in Gilead's functioning deserves to be blown up). You sense that she just wants to explode with fury (as we saw so explicitly in the finale w/ Aunt Lydia ). I liked the brief scenes with Bradley Whitford too; for some reason I knew the second we saw him that he was going to be a "good" character (although his wife's ranting at him threw me off for a minute).

I already said in the Drama Actress thread that I'm not too big on Moss; it's just the same notes played again and again, which isn't her fault that the writing keeps giving her the same stuff to play again and again, but still. She is brilliant, but I need more than just extreme close-ups, crying, internalized scorn, and suffering. I can't endorse her winning over Russell.
    Last edited by TailSpin; 07-29-2018 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by electric_storm View Post
    Basically this. This show has basically turned into addictive trash food tv. She tried multiple times to flee Gilead this season without letting thoughts of Hannah stop her, now of course when she could actually escape the show needs her to stay. What is she going to do from here? Wouldn’t she have been better seeing her other baby to safety and then coming up with an actual plan to rescue Hannah?
    But the thing is... I think seeing Hannah again made her feel guilty.

Blunt Force

I AM YOUR KHALEESI! hurricanesmith's Avatar
    Somebody pointed out to me that there are a bunch of fires in the final shot, which alleviates one of my big problems with the last moment (i.e., the way the show treats it somewhat like they're JUST trying to get the protagonist and one of the main supporting characters out). It also sort of explains how June wouldn't be immediately put to death when returning, because it would be easy enough for her to blame what happened to Nichole on the resistance.

So, like, I can see where they're going, and I think having June sign up with the resistance is probably the right next step for the show. But there's a lot of tap dancing to get there.

HS

Oh man, I finished this finale last night and I hated it. I was sort of invested in Bledel's character to see where it was heading for her (so glad she got revenge on Ann Dowd!) but I'm almost entirely given up on The Indomitable Mother of Hannah story.

(TBH, I felt like the reunion scene between her and Offred/June was kind of flat also. Or it's just been such a repeat that I've stopped caring.)

There were so many false starts where I wanted to quit watching it all through the season. The worst probably was Offred's most recent rape orchestrated by Serena and Offred/June standing in the attic with the shotgun. Lol? But, of course, not shooting! And then there's the 20 minute naked birthing scene. God.

I couldn't even believe it when she stood away from the van. I just don't care what happens to her anymore. How many people gotta risk their lives/die for her to get out of Gilead ... how many times she gotta go back to Serena/Commander Waterford.

The show wastes three hours with her on the run, just to be caught.

Then it wastes two more with her getting out? And she returns?

Then it wastes the finale with ANOTHER escape ... and she don’t go.

I FEEL DONE.
    Last edited by Madealah; 08-15-2018 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hurricanesmith View Post
    Somebody pointed out to me that there are a bunch of fires in the final shot, which alleviates one of my big problems with the last moment (i.e., the way the show treats it somewhat like they're JUST trying to get the protagonist and one of the main supporting characters out). It also sort of explains how June wouldn't be immediately put to death when returning, because it would be easy enough for her to blame what happened to Nichole on the resistance.

So, like, I can see where they're going, and I think having June sign up with the resistance is probably the right next step for the show. But there's a lot of tap dancing to get there.

HS
    Rita doesn't make any sense either. She can't hide the letters for June because she's afraid. Two episodes ago, she's getting back-handed by Serena and then now she's an arsonist in the rebellions.

Quote Originally Posted by CMBYNMafia View Post
    I do understand why people have a problem with the ending, but I really also think it makes sense. You think back to how Hannah asked June why she didn't try harder to find her, etc., all that guilt is upon June. Imagine if she just left Gilead and basically Hannah behind? There's no guarantee she will be able to get Hannah back ever from the other side, except by trying to find her from the inside. It was basically a sacrifice of putting her life on risk just to save her daughter.
    Yeah, it makes sense. I understand that Handmaid's Tale THE SHOW requires her to be a handmaid.

But I still thought there were exciting possibilities of where the show could go with her out.

I thought perhaps , in the beginning of S2, that she'd end up back in Canada and the season would be her trying to get Hannah out. Then the plane got shot down and all that changed really quickly.

I echo with people who say that she can't return to Waterfords. But, she probably will? We still don't know what Nick is doing in that room with The Commander and how that will play out.

This season REALLY laid the groundwork for Martha action down to having the Martha being the main baby doctor to the one who accompanied Hannah to the ones who helped Offred/June escape.

So, yeah. This is going to undoubtedly be a major theme in the next season.

This next season has to get Serena in on the revolution. I don't think I can bear another return to Gilead form from her. If Offred/June MUST go back home, then hopefully it shows Rita, Serena and June all working together somehow. She's gotten humiliated in Canada and across the whipping post, lost a finger and a child. She was approached by a liberator with escape plans to Hawaii, broke the wall and spoke to another Wife and was deeply unseated by Eden's death. I don't think the show will put her back on wife-form. I think it's setting up somehow for Serena to be interacting with Whitford. Not immediately, of course, but I can see him becoming a major fixture of Season 3. I really think they have team plans for Serena and June. The seeds were planted all season long.

Perhaps now that Aunt Lydia almost died (or is dead?) then we could possibly get a flashback of her. I feel like we're going to get a lot of new Martha characters (probably the ones we saw in the finale) and Rita's backstory, too.
    Last edited by Madealah; 08-15-2018 at 10:26 AM.

Please forgive me for posting but I just finished it, so excited:

Question. I don't understand the Gilead logic sometimes, though? If Eden was fertile (she kept hoping Nick would impregnate her to fulfill her duty) and Handmaids are essentially THE MOST IMPORTANT (in an indirect way) then how could they so easily kill a fertile woman??? Why wasn't she just sent to the red center?

Quote Originally Posted by Madealah View Post
    Question. I don't understand the Gilead logic sometimes, though? If Eden was fertile (she kept hoping Nick would impregnate her to fulfill her duty) and Handmaids are essentially THE MOST IMPORTANT (in an indirect way) then how could they so easily kill a fertile woman??? Why wasn't she just sent to the red center?
    Good question. Especially since what she was accused of (infidelity) was the same reason why June was sent to the red center...

Quote Originally Posted by Hatshepsutely View Post
    Good question. Especially since what she was accused of (infidelity) was the same reason why June was sent to the red center...
    Particularly since there's an unfinished plot line of the new and improved and larger Red Center?

This video made me so happy. And that Emmy nomination was so deserving. I'm really rooting for her!

Blunt Force