User Tag List

View Poll Results: Dekalog... 1 film? Or 10?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • One film, voted on as a whole when we get to 1989

34 69.39%
  • Ten films, voted on separately

15 30.61%
Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 61011121314151617181920212226 ... LastLast

Thread: AW Canon - 1990

Banned
    That gif almost looks like he's begging for a blowjob.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumierre View Post
    Well, his roommate probably wouldn't object

Pronoun(s): It
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
    Well, there was 6 days left so... you know, that day plus 6
    Yes, but the hour difference (both between you and me and between AW's hour and mine, which makes it not that easy to tell when you wrote the post) makes it clearer for me with a fixed date and hour. Sometimes I can watch one more film depending on that hour difference.

(Deadline is always listed in the thread's opening post, once its set)
    Yeah, I remembered that yesterday... after seeing how you ignored my question...

Thank you for so much

Dick Cry
    I’m sure we’ve all been there.

Pronoun(s): Bro
    Finally watched Charles Burnett's To Sleep with Anger, and it was a fantastic slow burn family drama with biblical undertones, featuring a great Danny Glover as an insidious force. Must see.

Quote Originally Posted by average joe View Post
    Finally watched Charles Burnett's To Sleep with Anger, and it was a fantastic slow burn family drama with biblical undertones, featuring a great Danny Glover as an insidious force. Must see.
    I just wish I could find it.

As far as my viewings go, The King’s Whore (Corti, 1990) was… strange. The very definition of a mixed bag, with many great things but many bad ones too. I can see where the few but select supporters I’ve read are coming from: as a story that deals with the consequences of unbridled passion, and an abusive one on top, by which the man tries to impose again and again on the woman until she recedes and ends up loving him back, it’s handled with enormous conviction and in some instances with great psychological insight. It’s this conviction in the direction, and the occasions in which the writing becomes articulate and insightful (the screenplay is by the very good writer Frederic Raphael, writer of Two for the Road or Eyes Wide Shut), that are the film’s best assets, along with the production values (great costumes, sets and cinematography) and a great adapted score by Gabriel Yared.

But while it’s great in the general themes and their presentation in attractive period clothing, it gets so many details and particulars wrong that in the end it’s very hard to take it seriously. And I mean, it’s already hard to take seriously a movie that has this title (surely a lurid imposition of the producers, trying to capitalize on the trend of period eroticism of Dangerous Liaisons and Valmont, because the novel it adapts has simply the name of the female protagonist as its title) and is SO Europudding (Timothy Dalton playing an Italian king, Valeria Golino playing a French duchess, dubbing into different European languages, different cuts depending on which country you saw it in!). But beyond that, which didn’t depend on the poor writer and director, it makes mistakes that end up harming the whole too much: history is handled with excessive freedom, bordering on the delirious and the camp (I’m sure the real king this is based upon didn’t handled politics so clumsily in the name of OMG Love!), and sometimes the dialogue becomes so articulate that it goes from insightful to laughably abstract and detailed. These wrong elements become worse and worse as the movie advances and tries to make this grand statement about Love vs. Political Interest, the political angle handled so poorly that it has a detaching effect by which you end up not believing much of what’s happening.

It also has the marks of having been cut, as characters re-appear and do things in the final act that are completely inconsistent with their previous behavior.

So, while I see where its few fans come from, yeah, this is totally skippable and I would only recommend it for the period pageantry and the solid first two acts.

Thank you for so much

Pronoun(s): Bro
    Quote Originally Posted by Luc View Post
    I just wish I could find it.
    Haha, I hear you. I ended up biting the bullet and just buying a digital copy on Amazon for $10. There wasn't even an option to rent. Luckily, it was worth it.

Go see Trust, @McTeague.

Actually I'm not sure you'll like it, but it's worth the watch anyway!

I just watched Paris is Burning. It should have been called "AW Thread" instead.

Go see Trust, @McTeague.

Actually I'm not sure you'll like it, but it's worth the watch anyway!
    I'm having trouble finding my copy...

Thank you for so much

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by McTeague View Post
    I'm having trouble finding my copy...
    Not sure if serious. Typing 'Trust 1990' in the land of sails and eyepatches gives immediate results.

Quote Originally Posted by average joe View Post
    Oh goodness Glover is terrific in that movie. And "insidious force" is such a dead on description!

My # 1 film of the year for the sake of the poll and tied for # 1 with Sink or Swim for my personal poll.

Not sure if serious. Typing 'Trust 1990' in the land of sails and eyepatches gives immediate results.
    Yeah but that's usually my last resource!

Thank you for so much

Have people watched Daddy Nostalgie and Innisfree?

Thank you for so much

I think Metropolitan is my new favorite film of all times.

@filmy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hold me please.

Thank you for so much

I forgot to review Metropolitan but yes, it is great - though I still prefer Last Days of Disco!

Never would imagine you'd like it that much, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by McTeague View Post
    I think Metropolitan is my new favorite film of all times.

@filmy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hold me please.

I just watched this last night and I loooooooved it too!!

I forgot to review Metropolitan but yes, it is great - though I still prefer Last Days of Disco!

Never would imagine you'd like it that much, by the way.
    My head is still spinning at everything that's going on and how much Stillman is able to pack in each single line of dialogue, from heartache to fun to melancholy to class conscience to passage of time. I expected to find Woody Allen and I found Max Ophüls instead (well, there's Allen too, but less than Ophüls). Well and there's of course Austen.

This is seriuosly one of the best screenplays ever, up there with the best from Mankiewicz or Prévert. And while the direction isn't some visionary achievement (although it conveys mood and passage of time really well), I'd say this is also one of the best edited comedies ever. Just by how little they let a shot linger after someone has said or done something heartbreaking, before cutting to something mundane, it speaks volumes about how Stillman doesn't indulge in excessive pity towards this, after all, privileged characters. Mere cuts undermine with irony the possibility of commiseration, even though empathy is never suhnned at all.

This was seriously revelatory.

And I'm SO glad @moose. is also in this camp!

The only other Stillman film I've seen is Love & Friendship, which is brilliant but not this amazing. So, needless to say, I'm dying to watch everything else he's done.

Thank you for so much

I haven't seen it since it came out. I liked Hartley at the time so I was into this new type of east coast humor. I don't remember being over the moon about it but certainly counted myself as a Stillman fan after. Definitely due for a rewatch.
    RIVETTE, TOUJOURS