User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Solo: A Star Wars Story (Howard/Lord & Miller, 2018)

Going to Solo, I didn't really had any expectations. The character isn't all that appealing for me and the somewhat indifferent reception from critics and friends really helped to keep my expectations down. And yet this disappointed me.

The major problem with Solo is that it really isn't a Star Wars movie. It could be literally called "John Doe Space Quest" that wouldn't have made any difference. It doesn't feel like we are revisiting the universe that we love, it doesn't add anything to the Star Wars lore nor to Han's character and it really seems like Disney had some space adventure screenplay laying on the table and thought "what if we put some references here and there and called it 'a Star Wars story'?". This is something I despise so much that I think that most of my dislike for the movie comes more from it than from the film itself.

This, however, is not to say that what we see on the screen is good. It's mediocre, at best. The lack of a satisfying character development, the absence of a thematic focus, the overstuffed combination of plots... it seems like even they didn't know what story they wanted to tell here.

The cast is so "ok" it hurts. Didn't really understood the love for Glover as Lando. He's sorta... just there. He never bring any energy or identity to his character. He and everyone else, aside from Ehrenreich, are just delivering standard performances, without any passion or strenght. But that doesn't mean that Ehrenreich is great here. He tries his best but fails to capture that engaging personality that made Han such a success. It's not his fault, though. Ford has a natural charisma that's just his and that nobody else could replicate even if they tried. Thank God Chewie and L3 have some charisma to make me care about some character on this film.

Technically speaking, it's average for Star Wars. Great visual effects and production design. The sound and the score are standouts. The make up and costume are serviceable. But the cinematography is disappointing. The lighting, camera movements and framing choices are kind of offputting and made me feel uncomfortable for a considerable part of the movie's duration.

Solo has a few good sequences and even a great one, but never feels necessary nor special. And the commercial strategy to connect this to Star Wars just feels cheap and brings it down even more.

After this, I don't think I want to see a handheld camera on a Star Wars movie ever again. Nor a spin-off, for that matter. 2.0/5.0
    "Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

Quote Originally Posted by Theodore View Post
    Going to Solo, I didn't really had any expectations. The character isn't all that appealing for me and the somewhat indifferent reception from critics and friends really helped to keep my expectations down. And yet this disappointed me.

The major problem with Solo is that it really isn't a Star Wars movie. It could be literally called "John Doe Space Quest" that wouldn't have made any difference. It doesn't feel like we are revisiting the universe that we love, it doesn't add anything to the Star Wars lore nor to Han's character and it really seems like Disney had some space adventure screenplay laying on the table and thought "what if we put some references here and there and called it 'a Star Wars story'?". This is something I despise so much that I think that most of my dislike for the movie comes more from it than from the film itself.

This, however, is not to say that what we see on the screen is good. It's mediocre, at best. The lack of a satisfying character development, the absence of a thematic focus, the overstuffed combination of plots... it seems like even they didn't know what story they wanted to tell here.

The cast is so "ok" it hurts. Didn't really understood the love for Glover as Lando. He's sorta... just there. He never bring any energy or identity to his character. He and everyone else, aside from Ehrenreich, are just delivering standard performances, without any passion or strenght. But that doesn't mean that Ehrenreich is great here. He tries his best but fails to capture that engaging personality that made Han such a success. It's not his fault, though. Ford has a natural charisma that's just his and that nobody else could replicate even if they tried. Thank God Chewie and L3 have some charisma to make me care about some character on this film.

Technically speaking, it's average for Star Wars. Great visual effects and production design. The sound and the score are standouts. The make up and costume are serviceable. But the cinematography is disappointing. The lighting, camera movements and framing choices are kind of offputting and made me feel uncomfortable for a considerable part of the movie's duration.

Solo has a few good sequences and even a great one, but never feels necessary nor special. And the commercial strategy to connect this to Star Wars just feels cheap and brings it down even more.

After this, I don't think I want to see a handheld camera on a Star Wars movie ever again. Nor a spin-off, for that matter. 2.0/5.0
    I came into this expecting to have a "haters were wrong! this was fun!" type of reaction, but sadly I have to agree with most of this.

While reading all the press about this movie, I grew to feel some sense of sympathy for Alden Ehrenreich and his obvious dedication to making this work. After seeing the film, well, he tried. There's a clear reason why Harrison Ford is a star/household name and Alden Ehrenreich never will be (though I do generally like him ).

But at least he did try. Almost the rest of the entire supporting cast felt so listless and bored. Was it because of reshoot exhaustion? Woody Harrelson was one of the worst and felt like he chugged a bottle of ambien before every take. Donald Glover was overhyped, not much there other than looking cool and doing his best Billy Dee Williams voice. Emilia Clarke is a charisma vacuum in general but her character did have a more nuanced characterization and interesting setup...only for them to take away the potential by throwing in the pointless Darth Maul cameo at the expense of her own agency and open possibilities for future storylines, not that that will be an issue anymore. The droid was fun.

But it's not the first time I've felt slightly disengaged from the performances and story during a Star Wars movie. At least the interesting, colorful, and otherworldly visuals and lighting always keep me from checking the clock too much. Not here. Not a single visually striking moment or even a memorable set piece. Intentionally "grounded" or not, it was almost shockingly drab/bland for Star Wars.

I wouldn't say I hated it. As a fan of the franchise in general, there were certainly fun moments. But I can definitely see why it didn't perform well now. It was a misfire in many ways, and may very well have been a better product if the original team's intentions for the film came to the screen instead. What a shame, I wanted the continuing adventures of Linda Hunt as Lady Proxima