User Tag List

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910

Thread: The 72nd Annual Tony Awards - It's Not Just for Gays Any... Nevermind!

Thanos did nothing wrong
    Legend Andrew Garfield is one step closer to EGOT.

Pronoun(s): She/Her
    Only thing that matters

Quote Originally Posted by MorganaleFey View Post
    Only thing that matters

Nope.

The highlight of the evening was the imperfect and yet profoundly moving performance of Seasons of Love by the students of Parkland High School.
    Aisle be seeing you in all the old familiar places

Pronoun(s): She/Her
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheAisle View Post
    Nope.

The highlight of the evening was the imperfect and yet profoundly moving performance of Seasons of Love by the students of Parkland High School.
    Obviously talking about who won the awards

Quote Originally Posted by MorganaleFey View Post
    Obviously talking about who won the awards
    Agreed. The students were performing in honor of their teacher who won the Tony for Theater Education.

In an evening of profane rebukes, speeches about acceptance and tolerance, performances that celebrated diversity, a group of nervous adolescents who survived a slaughter of children and now stand on a national stage to perform a Broadway standard that has come to define how we define the quality of life elevated the lengthy self-congratulatory tone of the ceremony with a sweet and touching performance that reminded us of the healing power of the arts.

Quote Originally Posted by Libs View Post
    Can we please take a second to observe this? I'm dying.

I just really need everybody to understand that this is the greatest moment of my life.

I love watching the Tonys every year because I never really have any idea what's going on on Broadway, so everything is new and I don't have any prejudices or assumptions. In browsing this thread a bit, I'm glad he consensus seems to be that this was a down year for theater because....my God. Everything was terrible? Is "Mean Girls" real? The guy who played Damien was nominated? The SpongeBob number made me actively shrink into my couch. I've already forgotten everything about The Band's Visit.

A few other observations:

- Springsteen was great and probably the best part of the entire show.

- It's obvious that everybody hates Katrina Lenk and it's hilarious.

- Dear God, the Frozen performance. No no no no no. To be honest, there must have been some audio issue all night because nobody sounded good.

- The performance from Carousel was embarrassing.

- All hail Laurie Metcalf!

- Andrew Garfield and Nathan Lane both had very nice speeches.

- Josh Groban and Sara Bareilles were fun!

Overall, it was such an interesting look at the lack of originality on Broadway this year. The show was alright but I'm not sure you could pay me to see any of the shows that had performances.

Quote Originally Posted by BTN View Post
    Iíd really like to see the Springsteen show but itís completely sold out during the period Iím looking at.

I wish the person who creates these threads would update the OP with the winners once they're announced.
    http://awardswatch.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic4774_23.gif

The acceptance speech for the Theater Education Tony Award by Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School drama teacher Melody Herzfeld was not aired. She gave a rousing speech that deserves to be heard.

In case you missed it, here is the performance of Seasons of Love by some of the surviving theater students who were sheltered with Melody Herzfeld for two hours in a small office during the school shooting in Parkland, Florida.

So Glenda Jackson is the latest member to the Triple Crown of Acting club.

I wonder if Catherine Zeta-Jones or Marcia Gay Harden can join her with an Emmy win this September.

It's kind of a really nice day makemeameteor's Avatar
    Thrilled to see Once on This Island won Revival! The show was so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Twist View Post
    So Glenda Jackson is the latest member to the Triple Crown of Acting club.

I wonder if Catherine Zeta-Jones or Marcia Gay Harden can join her with an Emmy win this September.
    CZJ has a chance for a filler nom with Lifetime's Cocaine Godmother. Harden only has the canceled Code Black and that's not happening.

Kevin Kline could return for another shot with Bob's Burgers. He lost to Seth MacFarlane last year.

Quote Originally Posted by 24Emmy View Post
    Kevin Kline could return for another shot with Bob's Burgers. He lost to Seth MacFarlane last year.
    I'm curious to see if Kevin Kline Tony winning performance in the PBS sponsored television adaptation of Present Laughter will garner him a surprise nod as Best Actor at this summer's Emmy Awards. The list of probable nominees for the category is not strong, and Kline was terrific.

Quote Originally Posted by dyedred19 View Post

- It's obvious that everybody hates Katrina Lenk and it's hilarious.

- The performance from Carousel was embarrassing.

Overall, it was such an interesting look at the lack of originality on Broadway this year. The show was alright but I'm not sure you could pay me to see any of the shows that had performances.
    I'm not sure why you think that everybody hates Katrina Lenk; the Tony voters and the critics certainly didn't. Her acceptance speech was charming and humble--she even acknowledged the Israeli actress who played the role in the film.

I didn't like the show overall, but that number from Carousel was still very good. Justin Peck's choreography is sensational.

Yes, people generally regard this year as being weak for everything but revivals of plays. (Angels, Three Tall Women, and Travesties are all terrific; haven't seen Lobby Hero or Iceman.) But there are still some good musicals to see. There's been enough discussion of The Band's Visit, but the revival of Once on This Island is superb and very original--the director completely re-conceived that show. I haven't seen it, but My Fair Lady got generally good reviews and people here also liked it. The Tony performance from MFL was a medley, but I still thought it was still appealing, and Lauren Ambrose sang better than I expected.

um...why are we doing this again? skuLd's Avatar

Loved this opening number. Sara, Josh, and Shania Toub should win an Emmy for it next year.

Overall the ceremony was pretty good, much better than last year's. Only major disappointment was that none of the nominated new musicals had very good performances, the revivals on the other hand were fantastic.

Best Moments:
    Opening number
    Parkland students performance
    Ariel Stachel's speech
    Nathan Lane's speech
    Lindsay Mendez's speech
    Glenda Jackson's speech

Here's Who Broadway Stars Would "Shag, Marry, and Kill"

"We hit up the Tony Awards red carpet to play this classic game with Tony nominees. Can you guess who they'd "shag, marry, and kill" in their categories?"

The Most Important Thing: Love The Dark Poet's Avatar
    Pronoun(s): Varda
    I have been watching clips of the performances and...yikes
    One taught me love...
    One taught me patience...
    One taught me pain...