User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2019 Screen Actors Guild (TV) Awards

Yes but Sharp Objects is much more character- & actor-driven show than Maniac is. A show like that that gets main HBO push + was a ratings hit will not be easy to beat just from "Netflix" factor.

A Waltz for a Night Dweller On Threshold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leothescorpio View Post
    Amy's show is so dark and niche and inaccessible though and her performance is very understated. SAG loves going for the most acting -- and Emma Stone has that AND a show released closer to voting AND the Netflix factor. I think she's winning unless of course Patricia Arquette turns in an OMG- performance (which is very possible judging by the trailer).
    Wow, both are so 'truthful'. I understand you're a fan and want Emma to happen badly (as well as I do with Amy Lou), but that's just nonsense. Understated? She's never been that raw. She's got tempestuous scenes with tears, sweat and blood (literally), as well as subtler moments. It's way more appealing showcase for her colleagues and a dream for any actor to play someone dark (yes, dark, it's an advantage, not vice versa) and unhinged as Camille. HBO has the same factor as Netflix and is way more respected. And again, that 'closer to release' thing just doesn't matter. Like at all. Promo campaigns as well Globes, SAG and BFCA will determine who is more reliable in terms of awards. Emma is not the center of Maniac. It's also Jonah's and Carey's show, with a lot to process. Maslany could be a good example on a similar path with Emmys (science-fiction, near-future, several characters), but it took TV voters a lot of time to acknowledge her work. SAG members are no different. Stone is known better for sure, but her show isn't secure at all

Quote Originally Posted by leothescorpio View Post
    @24Emmy Patricia Arquette in a deglam role though. Sally Field makes sense, but she doesn't appear until like the 4th episode I think. Laura Dern is als vulnerable. I don't think anyone watched The Tale.
    Yeah, that's true about Dern. I'll probably replace her with Arquette in my next update.

Quote Originally Posted by tyjagi View Post
    SAG will be tough so I don’t know why Sally Field would happen here. She’s better off at Globes where they have Supporting categories. I don’t think Maniac gets double nominated. Emma Stone just overshadows her, obviously. I’m not even sure Jonah Hill gets in
    Quote Originally Posted by tyjagi View Post
    I just feel like there's larger performances and bigger names. Field doesn't appear until a few episodes in. There are bigger and better alternatives. Even Clarkson in Sharp Objects.

But on the other hand, the show just released and will have buzz. It's closer to voting which helps. I can see something like The Tale suffering as a result
    Sally's a wildcard for sure here, but she does have extra exposure with her recently released acclaimed memoir. Penélope Cruz is another possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by lacourseauxetoiles View Post
    Why doesn’t SAG have supporting awards for tv?
    Who knows. Not having an ensemble category for Limited Series/Movies makes less sense.

Quote Originally Posted by tylerleigh View Post
    OMG Sally Field is NEVER happening here, and it would be the most embarrassing nomination if it happens. She has to pray the supporting actress race remains weak till next year because if not, she ain't getting nominated for Emmys as well.
    Why would it be so embarrassing? She didn't get shit reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by 24Emmy View Post
    Why would it be so embarrassing? She didn't get shit reviews.
    She's real fun, but she's really not in much, and even in those moments her scenes are so scattered that she never actually gets a proper arc. I hope I don't sound like I have something against her performance; I just was underwhelmed in her usage in the show. I'm guessing you feel very different, but she's also just really not in much to get in combined category.

I was trying to think of a comparison, and somehow Holly Hunter in Top of the Lake popped up in my head lol. A legend starring in a buzzy show with a very odd role/performance. Has some fun scenes here and there. And Hunter actually got SAG nom so forget what I said about she's never happening!

I think Clarkson would have a better chance if a supporting actress happens tho.
    Last edited by tylerleigh; 09-23-2018 at 09:18 AM.

Pronoun(s): He/Him
    Two stans of competitors going at it, who to believe?

Hey Auntie...

I didn’t even know Sally Field released a book. I don’t think that’s going to help her get a SAG nom in a Supporting role

They nominated her for a guest role on ER.

I mean Arquette can get in SAG of course, but I do wonder if there's a chance she's frauded for other award shows. I worry for Patricia Clarkson. I feel like either Sharp Objects will be a big thing or not, and I don't know if it will maintain its momentum all the way to next year's Emmys. I can easily see her winning, and I can also see her not. Don't know what her competition would be though. Maybe a Central Park Five lady? If Fosse/Verdon has a juicy female role?

Sally Field may very well not be nominated for anything, but she seems like one of those WTF Emmy wins that we don't necessarily hate but has us scratching our heads.

HS has seen Arquette's show and said she's supporting so it's not fraud.

Quote Originally Posted by Brazilianmovies View Post
    Ok good to here. Well maybe she can snag some stuff! Supporting is more open than lead right now.

Pronoun(s): TarajHE P. Henson
    Quote Originally Posted by Brazilianmovies View Post
    Didn't he say he saw the first episode only? Or some episodes ?

Boston Globe gave rave for Arquette in their fall preview It would be amazing if she crashes the race in whichever category.

Her biggest struggle might be how much the show gets buzz. It could really be like another Patrick Melrose.