User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: David Bowie

Mr. Basic

David Bowie

I'm so jazzed by the surprise news tonight (on his 66th birthday, no less) that Mr. Bowie is putting out his first new album in a decade. This announcement blind sided me considering he was supposedly retired from public, and he was living it. No touring since '04 (when he had surgery to fix a blocked artery), no public performances in 7 years. If that's not retirement, I don't know what is. Some pop legends, both Prince and Paul McCartney immediately come to mind for me, will be composing and releasing new music until they're pushing daisies. That wasn't Bowie apparently, and hey he earned the right to do whatever fucking pleased Ziggy's heart. I was resigned to that. (I suppose all things considered he was lucky to be alive since back in the day he did enough coke to open up his own ski resort.)

Welcome back Goblin King.

Last edited by RRA; 01-08-2013 at 03:14 AM.
    Recent films RRA survived:

John Wick Chapter 3: Parabellum (BIG Thumbs Up)
    Missing Link (Thumbs Up)
    Shazam! (Thumbs Up)
    The Christmas Chronicles (Thumbs Up)

Mr. Basic
    This is probably one of my personal favorites. I like that even though he earlier did this song for that Paul Schrader cat-fucking-people movie, he got Stevie Ray Vaughn and his hot licks and thought "Hey care to do this track too?" Superior version by far.

Missing Link (Thumbs Up)
    Shazam! (Thumbs Up)

Pronoun(s): Úl
    Absolutely adore this man. Starman breaks my heart.

I can't pick just one favourite Bowie song (although my all time favourite song is "Under Pressure" by him & Queen). It changes weekly. Currently it's this:

RRA, thanks for posting this thread. I could probably write for hours and hours about my thoughts on David Bowie.

The first plane ride I ever took was to go see a David Bowie concert. My first paycheck was spent on Bowie albums. And Station To Station remains one of my favorite albums by anyone ever.

Whenever someone asks me what my favorite album is, I always say "Its tough to pick just one.." but truth is, I really don't know what I'd put above Station To Station. I know Ziggy Stardust is his most iconic character, but I love The Thin White Duke just as much. Seen here with Art Garfunkel:

I remember in the mid 90s it seemed like pretty much every major alternative act was citing him as an inspiration. From Trent Reznor to Billy Corgan, and Marilyn Manson and Frank Black. And of course you had Nirvana's cover of "The Man Who Sold The World," and though she was never considered an alternative act, I remember Madonna stating many times the influence Bowie had on her.

So I always had an understanding of his importance in the industry, but up until the mid 90s I wasn't really familiar with his stuff. It's kind of like the way Spielberg's last decade was described in the Steven Spielberg thread: in the mid 90s, I saw Bowie as someone who was known more as an influential industry figure than as someone known for the work he had produced over the past decade. It wasn't until I picked up one of his Greatest Hits collections (back at some music store where I couldn't find the CD I was really looking for) that I really got hooked. I remember putting the CD on and it started with "Space Oddity," then went into "The Man Who Sold The World," and then "Changes," and then "Ziggy Stardust" and so on. I eventually bought nearly every album in his catalog.

His first couple albums were just alright to me. But his run of albums from Hunky Dory through Scary Monsters ... is an epic achievement that I'd put on par with Dylan's Freewheelin' to Blonde on Blonde run.

And by the way, I don't really consider Let's Dance to be a Bowie album at all. He has stated that when it was recorded, he had very little to do with it's production; almost as if he just laid down the vocals while Nile Rogers did all the work. I consider it a great pop album in the same way I consider Rihanna's Loud to be a great pop album - some solid pop songs, but probably not all that reflective of who the artist may really be.

I understand that he has drawn on his influences throughout his entire career, but I've always kind of thought that they became a little more obvious from 83-97, almost as if he was following trends rather than being influenced by them. Most notably with his work with Tin Machine and his industrial/Reznor inspired work on Outside and Earthling. I kind of consider Heathen and Reality a throw back to pre-1983 Bowie and to be honest, in my mind, I think they're up there with his best work.
    Last edited by Ben7; 01-10-2013 at 05:28 PM.

Mr. Basic
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben7 View Post
    I understand that he has drawn on his influences throughout his entire career, but I've always kind of thought that they became a little more obvious from 83-97, almost as if he was following trends rather than being influenced by them. Most notably with his work with Tin Machine and his industrial/Reznor inspired work on Outside and Earthling. I kind of consider Heathen and Reality a throw back to pre-1983 Bowie and to be honest, in my mind, I think they're up there with his best work.
    Off-topic, and no offense to you Ben, but I sorta don't like it when we parse pop stars by whether their work is ground-breaking or "trend-lifting," because as long as the music is good or intruging or whatever reactions we desire from music, I just don't care. Such things can only be realized after the fact or perhaps in the moment, and besides Bowie has done enough ground-breaking to be a honorary gravedigger. I do find it also odd that we chastise pop stars for following trends, yet celebrate when at a point in their careers they intentionally go retro to their greatest hits sound in an attempt to grab back some of that original fandom. Isn't that the opposite of breaking new ground?

Take "I'm Afraid of Americans." I remember that video back in the day, and I loved it. Yet looking it up recently, I didn't realize it (and that Bowie period) is actually derided online. Cracked.com mocked Bowie for wanting to become Trent Reznor. But what a great track. Of course folks forget that unless I'm mistaken, the version most know (i.e. the video) was produced by NIN, and not the one on EARTHLING. But see I consider that a great collaboration between two great musical acts of two different generations, NIN's sound with Bowie's vocals and lyrics, it's a home run in my book.

Plus the video is still great.

David, what if Trent just wanted your autograph? Or you dropped your wallet and he was trying to return it to you?

Last edited by RRA; 01-20-2013 at 05:07 PM.

Missing Link (Thumbs Up)
    Shazam! (Thumbs Up)

Mr. Basic

Missing Link (Thumbs Up)
    Shazam! (Thumbs Up)

Mr. Basic
    Until his recent new single, "Jump They Say" was previously Bowie's last Top 10 UK Singles hit 20 years ago.

Maybe its just me, but there are two different ways of listening to this. One when you first hear it as a poppy song and probably just leave it at that, second when you learn its about his schizophrenic brother who committed suicide and you focus much more on the lyrics.

Missing Link (Thumbs Up)
    Shazam! (Thumbs Up)

I love you RRA

I love this man so much it hurts

These kill me

And hate me if you may but I love Absolute Beginners!

Mr. Basic

Missing Link (Thumbs Up)
    Shazam! (Thumbs Up)

Mr. Basic
    Jazzin' For Blue Jean - Short film produced in 1984 to promote Bowie's single "Blue Jean" off his album TONIGHT. Directed by Julien Temple, story conceived by Bowie. 3 minute music video for the single was cut for MTV from this film. "Blue Jean" the single (released September '84) peaked #6 in U.K. and #8 in America.

Missing Link (Thumbs Up)
    Shazam! (Thumbs Up)

Mr. Basic
    Some news, random stuff I found but none alone worthy of a post by themselves so I'm making this a budget post!

David Bowie's ex-wife criticizes career comeback

http://music.msn.com/music/article.a...4&affid=100055

Fair or Foul?

David Bowie blocks Morrissey from using photograph on record sleeve

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013...sey-photograph

Never heard of this movie before.

JUST A GIGOLO: David Bowie's Forgotten, Campy Berlin Gigolo Movie

http://www.theawl.com/2013/01/david-bowie-berlin-gigolo

Missing Link (Thumbs Up)
    Shazam! (Thumbs Up)

Mr. Basic
    "D.J." - 2nd single issued from David Bowie's 1979 album LODGER, but only in the UK. Peaked #29 on the UK Singles chart and charted #106 in the U.S., merely from radio airplay. Songwriting credit given to Bowie, Brian Eno, and Carlos Alomar. Lyrics by Bowie. The track was intentionally produced as a cynical statement on the power and whims of Disc Jockeys. Guitar solo by Adrian Belew, which was recorded in multiple takes, then mixed back together for the final album cut. Bowie first performed this track live on his Outside Tour in 1995. Music video directed by David Mallet.

Last edited by RRA; 02-16-2013 at 11:37 AM.

Missing Link (Thumbs Up)
    Shazam! (Thumbs Up)

Mr. Basic
    Really possible or wishful speculation?

David Bowie Guitarist Gerry Leonard: 'Odds of a Tour Are 50-50'

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...#ixzz2M3ND3EKB

Now back to music.

"This is Not America" - Song recorded by David Bowie and the Pat Metheny Group for the soundtrack for the 1985 movie THE FALCON & THE SNOWMAN. Lyrics and vocals by Bowie, music by Metheny and Lyle Mays. Produced by Metheny & Bowie. Peaked #14 in the U.K., #32 in U.S., but #7 on the U.S. Mainstream Rock chart. Top 10 hit in numerous European markets, including #1 in the Netherlands.

Missing Link (Thumbs Up)
    Shazam! (Thumbs Up)

Quote Originally Posted by RRA View Post
    Really possible or wishful speculation?

David Bowie Guitarist Gerry Leonard: 'Odds of a Tour Are 50-50'
    I am not a concert goer. Never have been, but I would LOVE to see Bowie live. Lets just hope this one is involved in whatever tour may come about...

Always Be Excellent to Each Other Howard Beale's Toothpaste's Avatar
    Pronoun(s): they, them
    I'm listening to his new album on Spotify, and it's pretty amazing. My favorites so far are The Stars (Are Out Tonight) and Where Are We Now?.

No one's posted this here yet? Seriously? For shame.

I'd just assumed everyone had already seen it elsewhere.

Mr. Basic
    Dumb question: Why didn't he do a video for "Love is Lost" or "Dirty Boys"? Maybe I'm the only one who thought they're catchy enough to be singles.

Missing Link (Thumbs Up)
    Shazam! (Thumbs Up)

David Bowie made a rare public appearance this week at an event honoring Tilda Swinton (who appeared in his last music video) at the Museum of Modern Art in New York:

This event was, coincidentally, held on her birthday: