User Tag List

Page 1 of 54 12345671151 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Video Game Thoughts 3: My Face Is Tired

Pronoun(s): His/Him/He

Random Video Game Thoughts 3: My Face Is Tired

Continue.

an edge stupid kid who thinks he's hardcore dlong's Avatar

Reasonable and nice moderator Timmer's Avatar
    I am pissed off. A Pikachu appeared downtown, but was gone before I got there. I really want a Pikachu.

Has anyone here played Rodea Sky Soldier? It was released to the 3DS and Wii U, where the latter also included the original unreleased Wii version of it, which I heard was the best out of the three. Thinking of trying it out soon.

Pronoun(s): He/Him
    So No Man's Sky is finally out tomorrow... Must say, I'd sort of lost all anticipation for this but after reading this I'm all in again: https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTh...her_questions/

I really hope reviews are good when they come out in a few hours because ugh, the ambition alone deserves a lot of attention.

Tadpole Treble is now available in the Wii U e-shop. Anyone checking it out?

Christmas Time, You're So Fine! Bean's Avatar
    I downloaded No Man's Sky two nights ago and....I don't think it's working for me. The ambition and scale are off the charts, but it feels soulless to me.

Pronoun(s): His/Him/He
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    I downloaded No Man's Sky two nights ago and....I don't think it's working for me. The ambition and scale are off the charts, but it feels soulless to me.
    This seems to be the consensus. It's also completely unsurprising given the emphasis of the game is its size. I'm optimistic they'll keep adding to it for a year or two and it'll then be worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Artimus View Post
    This seems to be the consensus. It's also completely unsurprising given the emphasis of the game is its size. I'm optimistic they'll keep adding to it for a year or two and it'll then be worthwhile.
    Once again, downloading a brand-new game that's selling itself on scale bites me in the ass. This and Fallout 4 will glower at me from my hard drive forever.

Also there's a few complain that player can't see each other in No Man's Sky and the creator said it's not MMORPG, but their statements before is too unspecific about it. Mess, it's certainly overhyped

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    Once again, downloading a brand-new game that's selling itself on scale bites me in the ass. This and Fallout 4 will glower at me from my hard drive forever.
    Been there really lately I prefer small games, like Abzu maybe good.
    Suffering is what really bonds people together.

Meryl Sheep

No Man's Sky is a MESS.

Cool algorithm powering the damn thing, but it gets old pretty fast.

I don't know whether to post this on music or game thread, so I'll just post them in both because they just deserve it Florence and The Machine uploaded 3 soundtrack from upcoming Final Fantasy XV, one of them is the remake of Stand by Me. This makes me remember Inon Zur amazing rearrangement of Florence's I'm Not Calling You a Liar for Dragon Age 2.

Suffering is what really bonds people together.

Meryl Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianFan View Post
    No Man's Sky is a MESS.

Cool algorithm powering the damn thing, but it gets old pretty fast.
    Yeah, I'm honestly sort of dreading how much of my time is supposed to just be mining elements so I can refuel my various life support and engine systems. Like...that's not fun and it's barely a game. Ugh. Why'd I have to download the damn thing?

Lol.

I'm regretting the 60 bucks I dropped on it, too. I just couldn't resist checking out a supposedly historic game.

And it is a huge technical accomplishment. There's no denying that. Unfortunately, the worlds (and the flora and fauna) feel procedurally generated, and it's just not interesting to really explore. I've been playing it kind of obsessively, but I don't really think it's a good game. It's addictive in the way lots of those free-to-play time wasters are.

Maybe if they add base building/freight ownership and stuff like that, it will be more rewarding.

I have some friends who are super into open-world crawling/survival stuff. Should have known their raves would not carry much water with me. Especially since I finally finished Blood and Wine and said goodbye to Witcher 3 earlier this week.

Pronoun(s): He/Him
    Yeah I'm still sort of totally into it, even though I expect the game to get tiresome fast. But still, after about 10-20 hours, the novelty of flying into space and landing on a planet that nobody in the world has discovered before and just wandering about it, still hasn't worn off at all anymore. I haven't really found myself getting bored at all yet even though the gameplay is pretty uninspired.

I had finally time to play with Inside, and this time critics weren't wrong, this game is amazing, it's basically a 2.5 hours long silent animated sci-fi horror movie with platforming gameplay.

Watched that Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV movie (entertaining, but overall just ok) last night cause one of my friends is a fan. Got me a little interested in playing the game, although I don't care too much for RPGs. Can anyone recommend a good starter Final Fantasy game?

Quote Originally Posted by coolinout1 View Post
    Watched that Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV movie (entertaining, but overall just ok) last night cause one of my friends is a fan. Got me a little interested in playing the game, although I don't care too much for RPGs. Can anyone recommend a good starter Final Fantasy game?
    That's actually kind of hard to answer, because they're all pretty different.

How important to you is it that the game "feel" modern? Because the ATB/turn based style of most of them can feel quite dated for some people, I think.

FFX might be a good starting point, as its turn-based battles actually move at a pretty quick clip and feel brisk, and the ability to switch party members on the fly makes it feel more tactical, even if success doesn't necessarily require it. It's also got a pretty good story, as far as JRPGs go. The voice acting is horrendous in this one, though.

If you think the MMO experience is something you'd like to try, there's FFXIV. I've not played it as I'm not really an MMO kind of guy, but after its overhaul, it became quite well-loved.

Of course, VII is the most beloved and it might be worth starting with it just so you can be prepared for the Remake that's due next year.

Personally, though, my two favorites are IX and VI.

IX was the last PSOne FF, and it's hampered a bit by its painfully slow ATB system (you can adjust how quickly the ATB bars fill, but even at the fastest setting, it's still slow). What it has going for it, though, is some of the finest art direction and design in a video game ever--it's whimsical and silly and vibrant and just right. It truly has this "story book" feel to it that I cherish so much. It takes a strange turn near the end and goes a bit off the rails (but even then, considering how strange a turn it takes, it works better than it should). But it's a game that just oozes charm; its Gaia is one of my favorite fantasy worlds ever.

And VI may very well be the "best" game of the bunch, but now you're going way back, to the 16-bit SNES days. It takes a really unexpected turn half way through and takes a gamble on some bold design decisions and becomes one of the finest RPGs ever in the process. This and Chrono Trigger are absolutely deserving of their reputation, and remain among the greatest video games ever made, in my estimation.

Thank you so much. I may try VI and X then!