User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Romanoffs

This really does not have good reviews.

But the critics only saw three episodes (some only saw two) and It seems like the second one is partifularly not good? So holding out hope that Weiner managed to succeed on one among remaining five lol.

Unfortunately the episode starring Hendricks & Huppert is one of the three sent for critics. It seems the reactions are just okay.

As much as I'm a Mad Men die-hard, we can't forget that Weiner also directed a huge flop I guess (Are You Here).

Has Matthew Weiner ever met a black person?

That's My Purse! I Don't Know You! Abby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerleigh View Post
    This really does not have good reviews.

But the critics only saw three episodes (some only saw two) and It seems like the second one is partifularly not good? So holding out hope that Weiner managed to succeed on one among remaining five lol.

Unfortunately the episode starring Hendricks & Huppert is one of the three sent for critics. It seems the reactions are just okay.

As much as I'm a Mad Men die-hard, we can't forget that Weiner also directed a huge flop I guess (Are You Here).
    The reviews for the Huppert/Hendricks episode that I've seen have been positive, with particular praise for the two central performances.

Quote Originally Posted by dyedred19 View Post
    These are all descendants of the Romanoffs so they couldn’t possibly be black.

Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremen View Post
    These are all descendants of the Romanoffs so they couldn’t possibly be black.

Lol.
    I'm not just talking about this show.

The Romanoffs

I'm not just talking about this show.
    Oh I know. And I agree with you. I was being sarcastic. Back when this show was announced and the premise came up I said “why couldn’t there be black characters who believed one of their ancestors was a Romanov?” So many black people, especially in the US, have white ancestry as we all know. So, I thought again it’s just Weiner up to his old tricks.

Oh I know. And I agree with you. I was being sarcastic. Back when this show was announced and the premise came up I said “why couldn’t there be black characters who believed one of their ancestors was a Romanov?” So many black people, especially in the US, have white ancestry as we all know. So, I thought again it’s just Weiner up to his old tricks.
    It's almost shocking?

Like, there's this billboard in LA I drive by every day and it has about 8 or 9 of the actors faces on it. All white. It's glaring. Quite literally.

What, is she funny or something? Libs's Avatar
    Pronoun(s): Her?
    So I guess I don't need to bother with this?

I'm not even finished with Maniac yet, lol.

Olivia the Dog - 2018's Best Supporting Bitch
    (Widows, Game Night)

This project didn't feel right from the beginning

Has anybody seen the first two episodes? I'm gonna give the first one a try.

I think they rushed this production way too much. Maybe an Altman-esque 3 hour film would've been better? Or a 3 part miniseries or whatever. Weiner got way over his head.

It's almost shocking?

Like, there's this billboard in LA I drive by every day and it has about 8 or 9 of the actors faces on it. All white. It's glaring. Quite literally.
    It’s 2018. It’s bizarre. How was there no one involved in production that had his ear that said “maybe we can do at least one episode with black people?” And if that did happen and this is still what we ended up with...

This shit is why I’m about this close to asking for diversity quotas, not per project but per studio over a years time.

It's almost shocking?

It’s 2018. It’s bizarre. How was there no one involved in production that had his ear that said “maybe we can do at least one episode with black people?” And if that did happen and this is still what we ended up with...

This shit is why I’m about this close to asking for diversity quotas, not per project but per studio over a years time.

Could we dial down the hyperbole?

It's a little odd to read all this when the first episode features a main character of North African descent and is partially about the racism both direct and casual that she encounters. Apparently you 're only recognized for including POC characters if they're African-American.

As far as judging the actual show that aired, I found The Violet Hour pretty delightful. With farce, your mileage may vary as humor doesn't work the same for everyone, but I love this sophisticated variety of it. And something about Marthe Keller, Louise Bourgoin (making the most of a cliche bratty girlfriend role), and Ines Milab reminded me of Almodóvar characters. There were also a few moments of poetry as well.

Excited to see what direction these other episodes go, but so far it looks pretty unpredictable.

Also, I thought it was worth noting that Weiner has brought along a handful of his Mad Men team to this show: Maria and Andre Jacquemetton and Semi Chellas, as well as DP Christopher Manley and composer David Carbonara.

The sexual harassment allegations may follow him but he's continuing his tradition of bringing younger women into the fold--there are a couple new names who have credits this season as staff writers. I was also surprised to see David Lynch's former producer and editor Mary Sweeney listed as consulting producer and writer.

Woman Moderator
    Pronoun(s): She/Her
    I have moved most of the review posts from here to the proper forum.

I left Laz's post on the presence of POC characters on the first episode because I thought if fits better with the rest of this discussion here.

Thanks Julia!

The first episode was probably the best original thing I've seen to date on either Netflix or Amazon (not a high bar for me, but nonetheless). Can't trust these critics anymore man! I think it may have thrown some people off that tonally this has literally nothing in common with Mad Men
    Last edited by MVP of West Hollywood; 10-24-2018 at 01:41 AM.

YAAAASSSSSSS

Quote Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
    Could we dial down the hyperbole?

It's a little odd to read all this when the first episode features a main character of North African descent and is partially about the racism both direct and casual that she encounters. Apparently you 're only recognized for including POC characters if they're African-American.
    I couldn´t agree more. Wondering if the people who brought this up had even seen the first episode when starting this. Epic Failure.

I have seen all three episodes available and appreciated all of them. They differ in tone and each of them feels unique. I really think this is pretty good writing.
    Episode 3 is a highlight with not only two great main actresses, but also great direction (in my opinion). Looking forwad to the upcoming episodes.

And by the way Corey Stoll (starring episode 2) is not only a fine actor but also so hot.

# Don´t trust the critics.
    Last edited by Telperion; 10-24-2018 at 04:19 PM.
    http://abload.de/image.php?img=dbgsnhhxuaaayusawuj6.  jpg
    *D'APRÈS UNE HISTOIRE VRAIE - Cannes 2017*

The 3rd episode is definitely the most AW friendly. It's the weirdest and most artistically ambitious, it pokes fun at directors and method actors, it has Izzy