User Tag List

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

Thread: Renewals/Cancellations

Quote Originally Posted by calculator View Post
    I loved season 1. Interest in watching season 2 though died quickly when Shaw's misconduct came up.

re: Lori Loughlin arrest: Hallmark says no more "Garage Sale Mystery" movies that she's been starring in. Still waiting to hear how they'll deal with her on "When Calls The Heart" (which just had its best season opener ratings yet). My question: who will play her in the inevitable Lifetime movie about the scandal surrounding a Hallmark star!

One Day at a Time canceled by Netflix
    https://deadline.com/2019/03/saveoda...ix-1202576040/

Quote Originally Posted by calculator View Post
    One Day at a Time canceled by Netflix
    https://deadline.com/2019/03/saveoda...ix-1202576040/
    ‘One Day At A Time’: Netflix Deal May Get In Way Of Finding New Home For Comedy

Hours after Netflix on Wednesday night told the team of One Day at a Time it was not going to pick up the praised comedy for a fourth season, producing studio Sony Pictures TV sprung into action, reaching out to a slew of potential buyers. There was some immediate interest — I hear that on Thursday, CBS Corp executives made an inquiry about possibly picking up the show for their streaming platform CBS All Access. But that inquiry hit a snag.

As I reported in a story about Netflix’s business model and how it impacts cancellations, there is a standard clause in virtually all deals for Netflix series from outside studios that prevents the shows from airing elsewhere for a significant period of time — said to be two to three years — after they are canceled by the Internet network. That’s why none of the popular but recently deep-sixed Marvel series could migrate to the upcoming Disney+ direct-to-consumer platform, and why CBS TV Studios’ well received comedy American Vandal, canceled by Netflix in October after two seasons, would not move to the studio’s sibling CBS All Access.

That is highly unusual as Netflix has been the beneficiary of being able to pick up series canceled by other networks, such as Lucifer and Designated Survivor. The company’s moratorium also deprives the series’ creative teams and studios of the opportunity to make more episodes, and fans of the chance to get more of their favorite shows. (It is impossible to hold the team of a show together for 2-3 years, and even the staunchest supporters of a series will likely lose interest after a few years.)

I hear Netflix’s freeze on One Day At a Time, a broad, multi-camera comedy, is a bit less restrictive. While the ban on the series airing new episodes on SVOD platforms is a couple of years, I hear the window is just a few months for linear networks, which would allow the Latinx family comedy to pursue a fourth season on a traditional network that could air the next broadcast season.

^ yeah Deadline's in-depth report on Netflix business model is a great read too

Feeling The Churn: Why Netflix Cancels Shows After A Couple Of Seasons & Why They Can’t Move To New Homes
    https://deadline.com/2019/03/netflix...me-1202576297/
    I hear One Day at a Time came close to cancellation last year when the show’s producers and talent rallied fans in a spirited renew-the-show campaign. Netflix ultimately gave it a reprieve, but it came with a warning. Despite the fact that One Day at a Time’s viewership had reportedly grown between Season 1 and 2 and Seasons 2 and 3, word is Netflix brass claimed its numbers still were not where the network wanted them to be.

I hear that, according to Netflix’s data, beyond Season 2-3, middle-of-the road series — even those with loyal fan base like One Day at a Time — would not generate significant new signups.

But new shiny things will. Netflix’s strategy to grow subscription base is focused on introducing new series all the time, sometimes multiple ones each weekend. According to industry observers, fans of some of the canceled series would be disappointed by their demise but not upset enough to drop Netflix as there is new product coming out all the time that catches their attention.
    ODAAT chances of getting saved is very slim as it is virtually impossible for other SVOD outlets to get it given the Netflix restrictions and getting a broadcast network pick up a canceled streaming series will be unprecedented and very unlikely happen too. While on cable is hard to because they are scaling down with original scripted offerings as of late with the declining ratings and cord cutting happening.