• Timothée Chalamet- Beautiful Boy

85 49.42%
  • Russell Crowe - Boy Erased

12 6.98%
  • Adam Driver - BlacKkKlansman

57 33.14%
  • Sam Elliott - A Star is Born

150 87.21%
  • Richard E. Grant - Can You Ever Forgive Me?

151 87.79%
  • Brian Tyree Henry - If Beale Street Could Talk

14 8.14%
  • Russell Hornsby - The Hate U Give

1 0.58%
  • Nicholas Hoult - The Favourite

8 4.65%
  • Michael B. Jordan - Black Panther

40 23.26%
  • Daniel Kaluuya - Widows

52 30.23%
  • Jonathan Pryce - The Wife

31 18.02%
  • Sam Rockwell - Vice

49 28.49%
  • Dick Van Dyke - Mary Poppins Returns

2 1.16%
  • Other

4 2.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 711121314151617

Thread: Best Supporting Actor: November I

Seems to be pretty divided between people who think Ali is MVP and those who think Mortensen is. I don't think Ali has this locked but the Green Book love should result in something, everyone likes Ali and I'm not feeling the alternatives. Elliot is third most likely to win from his movie and Grant's film doesn't feel strong enough for a top 8 win right now unless he likes sweeps critics or something.

Well who is better there doesn't matter much, they're in different categories. Ali is good and he is a heartwarming, charming movie. Waltz won for Django....which wasn't

I think Elliott has a shot but I also think Gaga may win....if Gaga doesn't Elliott could. It's possible ASiB wins 2 acting Oscars, 3....that's not impossible but unlikely imho

I think it's not so much about who is MVP which is of course down to personal opinion, but Mortensen is undoubtedly given the juicier, scenery chewing role and Ali is undoubtedly playing a very restrained, restricted character which naturally results in a somewhat restrained and restricted performance. This has been noted in some reviews too. It's not a performance that could never win an Oscar by any means and if he'd have lost for Moonlight he'd probably be a lock but having not only won before, but so recently, I agree with IHAA that it's not some kind of undeniable performance that is likely to have him sweep the televised awards, particularly after already winning BFCA, SAG and Oscar two years ago. As has been noted, Waltz didn't sweep either even when against all previous winners so whether Ali eventually takes it or not (if they feel the need to reward Green Book), I think the main point is that it's unlikely to be some locked, clear cut, sweep race like some may have been expecting. I'd definitely look out for Grant taking BAFTA (I don't think they'll care for Green Book or about making it upto Ali considering they've never even nominated Denzel) and for what SAG will do after having rewarded him so recently. Globe is probably his though if they don't push him lead that is.

Quote Originally Posted by harlequinade View Post
    Well who is better there doesn't matter much, they're in different categories. Ali is good and he is a heartwarming, charming movie. Waltz won for Django....which wasn't

I think Elliott has a shot but I also think Gaga may win....if Gaga doesn't Elliott could. It's possible ASiB wins 2 acting Oscars, 3....that's not impossible but unlikely imho
    Elliott is not going to win. ASIB will win at least one acting category (likely Cooper) and maybe two (Gaga, if ASIB echoes As Good As It Gets and wins both leads). But ASIB is not going to win supporting actor. The nomination will be Elliott's award. Bank on it. For the wins, focus on the leads.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert A. View Post
    Elliott is not going to win. ASIB will win at least one acting category (likely Cooper) and maybe two (Gaga, if ASIB echoes As Good As It Gets and wins both leads). But ASIB is not going to win supporting actor. The nomination will be Elliott's award. Bank on it. For the wins, focus on the leads.
    I live on the edge of the world where cinematographers go to in order to embarrass themselves, apparantely, so the film hasn't even opened here yet. I'm just basing all of this on what I read in reviews and reactions lol But if not Ali then who would win? Elliott's film is much more talked about than Grant's

Quote Originally Posted by harlequinade View Post
    I live on the edge of the world where cinematographers go to in order to embarrass themselves, apparantely, so the film hasn't even opened here yet. I'm just basing all of this on what I read in reviews and reactions lol But if not Ali then who would win? Elliott's film is much more talked about than Grant's
    And Grant's performance has received significantly more critical acclaim than Elliott's. And it's a much bigger role.

It's a real shame the category is so dire, if Hedges or Chalamet were in better films they would win easily.

Quote Originally Posted by troote View Post
    I think it's not so much about who is MVP which is of course down to personal opinion, but Mortensen is undoubtedly given the juicier, scenery chewing role and Ali is undoubtedly playing a very restrained, restricted character which naturally results in a somewhat restrained and restricted performance. This has been noted in some reviews too. It's not a performance that could never win an Oscar by any means and if he'd have lost for Moonlight he'd probably be a lock but having not only won before, but so recently, I agree with IHAA that it's not some kind of undeniable performance that is likely to have him sweep the televised awards, particularly after already winning BFCA, SAG and Oscar two years ago. As has been noted, Waltz didn't sweep either even when against all previous winners so whether Ali eventually takes it or not (if they feel the need to reward Green Book), I think the main point is that it's unlikely to be some locked, clear cut, sweep race like some may have been expecting. I'd definitely look out for Grant taking BAFTA (I don't think they'll care for Green Book or about making it upto Ali considering they've never even nominated Denzel) and for what SAG will do after having rewarded him so recently. Globe is probably his though if they don't push him lead that is.
    I don't think anyone is calling Ali undeniable? He makes the most sense right now though.

Quote Originally Posted by electric_storm View Post
    I don't think anyone is calling Ali undeniable? He makes the most sense right now though.
    Eh there's definitely been people saying Ali will probably just sweep. He's not been considered a Cooper like lock, no, but it's worth making people aware of the nature of the performance. I think the trailer is somewhat misleading in that regard.

I honestly don't think he makes the most sense, but I guess we'll see how Green Book performs.

Quote Originally Posted by troote View Post
    Eh there's definitely been people saying Ali will probably just sweep. He's not been considered a Cooper like lock, no, but it's worth making people aware of the nature of the performance. I think the trailer is somewhat misleading in that regard.

I honestly don't think he makes the most sense, but I guess we'll see how Green Book performs.
    Who are you predicting?