User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 135

Thread: Berlinale 2019

  1. #1
    Pompous hipster George Addison's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2017
    Posts: 4,954

    Berlinale 2019



    I won.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date: Sep 2018
    Posts: 990
    The Bears are Coming!!!


  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date: Feb 2015
    Location: Portugal
    Posts: 504
    I read a portuguese article, where they reported there was a rumor of Berlinale celebrating the 50th anniversary of Malick's career, and how he could bring Radegund to the fest also.

    Source: http://www.c7nema.net/artigos/item/4...-carreira.html

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date: Sep 2018
    Posts: 990
    Who will snag Binoche as Jury President: Berlin, Cannes or Venice?

  5. #5
    Senior Member mysteryfan04's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2016
    Location: Irving, TX
    Pronoun(s): He/Him/His
    Posts: 9,056
    Of the English movies, The Aftermath, Us, and Where'd You Go, Bernadette?. Possibly The Beach Bum pops up in a sidebar.

  6. #6
    Pompous hipster George Addison's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2017
    Posts: 4,954
    Quote Originally Posted by ejvs_10 View Post
    I read a portuguese article, where they reported there was a rumor of Berlinale celebrating the 50th anniversary of Malick's career, and how he could bring Radegund to the fest also.

    Source: http://www.c7nema.net/artigos/item/4...-carreira.html
    That would be nice; he could also make sense as a Honorary Silver Bear winner.

    Who will snag Binoche as Jury President: Berlin, Cannes or Venice?
    The one where she won't be bringing a movie. Since the Kore-eda and Leconte she has in store have yet to start shooting, Berlinale makes the most sense!


    I won.

  7. #7
    Pompous hipster George Addison's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2017
    Posts: 4,954
    Quote Originally Posted by mysteryfan04 View Post
    Of the English movies, The Aftermath, Us, and Where'd You Go, Bernadette?. Possibly The Beach Bum pops up in a sidebar.
    I thought of BERNADETTE too since Linklater is a regular, but I fear Annapurna doesn't give a damn about the film. They shelved this year and it wasn't in favour of anything in particular.

    Oh, THE BEACH BUM; will we see the day where it sees the light of the day?


    I won.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date: Feb 2018
    Location: Poland
    Pronoun(s): He/Him/His
    Posts: 419
    Recently, they have one Polish movie each year. What are possibilities next year? I guess Komasa is a best bet (I think Suicide Room was screened Out of Competition). Or maybe Kędzierzwska?

  9. #9
    Pompous hipster George Addison's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2017
    Posts: 4,954
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoster1 View Post
    Recently, they have one Polish movie each year. What are possibilities next year? I guess Komasa is a best bet (I think Suicide Room was screened Out of Competition). Or maybe Kędzierzwska?
    Komasa makes sense; I'm really anticipating it. Not sure who else may have a film. Imdb tells me Pasikowski is shooting one at the moment, but it's possibly too genre-y for a festival entry, in any case?




    I won.

  10. #10
    That's My Purse! I Don't Know You! Abby's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2018
    Posts: 1,192
    François Ozon's Alexandre is being released in France at the end of February, so I assume it's 95% certain it'll be in the competition lineup.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date: Feb 2018
    Location: Poland
    Pronoun(s): He/Him/His
    Posts: 419
    Quote Originally Posted by George Addison View Post
    Komasa makes sense; I'm really anticipating it. Not sure who else may have a film. Imdb tells me Pasikowski is shooting one at the moment, but it's possibly too genre-y for a festival entry, in any case?
    Yeah, Pasikowski's new one is propably a commercial play a la Jack Strong. Though, I found out a moment ago that Jacek Borcuch has a movie with Krystyna Janda, so maybe him.

  12. #12
    Pompous hipster George Addison's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2017
    Posts: 4,954
    Quote Originally Posted by Abby View Post
    François Ozon's Alexandre is being released in France at the end of February, so I assume it's 95% certain it'll be in the competition lineup.
    Other French/Francophone directors who supposedly have a film ready are: Kahn (went there this year and won an award), Dumont (Cannes?), Dolan (ditto; praying he's back in his element), Techiné (imdb says 2018, but I don't think it's set for a French release, this year?), Fontaine (but it strikes me as something playing OOC regardless of where it shows up).

    There also the new movies of Andersson (has been there in 1970 only) and Porumbuiu (was there this year OOC, and given the recent Romanian lucky streak at Berlin...).


    I won.

  13. #13

  14. #14
    Pompous hipster George Addison's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2017
    Posts: 4,954
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyfan14 View Post
    Ozon seems likely... maybe Konchalovsky too?
    Possible; I had forgotten about it since I've been anticipating as a 2018 thing all along.

    There is also Matteo Rovere's long-craved Latin-spoken THE FIRST KING, which seems to have settled for a 2019 release, but I've begun to smell that it could be no good. Maybe Cédric knows something.


    I won.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date: Dec 2007
    Posts: 7,360
    I checked, and Tom Tywker was announced as jury president in early November, so that news could be coming any day now. Also, Isle of Dogs was announced as opener in early December.

    Don't have too many ideas about Berlin, aside from Ozon and maybe Malick. I suspect Sundance will probably make a play for those bigger American titles, like Korine and Linklater. There are a few names that were regularly mentioned as Cannes/Venice possibilities this year, and never happened: Joanna Hogg, Pedro Costa, Lav Diaz, Sebastian Schipper. Lou Ye and Kiyoshi Kurosawa have new films, I believe. Diao Yi'nan's follow-up to Black Coal, Thin Ice (called Wild Goose Lake) is coming out next year too. We need @Mr Chow to come and spill the tea!

  16. #16
    That's My Purse! I Don't Know You! Abby's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2018
    Posts: 1,192
    Quote Originally Posted by George Addison View Post
    Other French/Francophone directors who supposedly have a film ready are: Kahn (went there this year and won an award), Dumont (Cannes?), Dolan (ditto; praying he's back in his element), Techiné (imdb says 2018, but I don't think it's set for a French release, this year?), Fontaine (but it strikes me as something playing OOC regardless of where it shows up).

    There also the new movies of Andersson (has been there in 1970 only) and Porumbuiu (was there this year OOC, and given the recent Romanian lucky streak at Berlin...).
    The Kahn film seems like a good bet as well. Really not sure where Dolan will end up, (I don't think he's been to Berlin before?) and I think the Techiné, with its subject matter (young French people embracing jihadism) + cast (Catherine Deneuve, Kacey Mottet Klein, Oulaya Amamra) will be saved for Cannes.

  17. #17
    Senior Member MarieInternet's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2017
    Location: Dublin
    Posts: 465
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    There are a few names that were regularly mentioned as Cannes/Venice possibilities this year, and never happened: Joanna Hogg, Pedro Costa, Lav Diaz, Sebastian Schipper. Lou Ye and Kiyoshi Kurosawa have new films, I believe.
    A poster(hanimal, i think) said in the 'Film Thread' that her one is aiming for Cannes2019 and also has a very cool US distributor lined up. I feel with that info it could also be the British movie that Barbara said pulled out of Venice for a 2019 release.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date: Dec 2007
    Posts: 3,421
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    I checked, and Tom Tywker was announced as jury president in early November, so that news could be coming any day now. Also, Isle of Dogs was announced as opener in early December.

    Don't have too many ideas about Berlin, aside from Ozon and maybe Malick. I suspect Sundance will probably make a play for those bigger American titles, like Korine and Linklater. There are a few names that were regularly mentioned as Cannes/Venice possibilities this year, and never happened: Joanna Hogg, Pedro Costa, Lav Diaz, Sebastian Schipper. Lou Ye and Kiyoshi Kurosawa have new films, I believe. Diao Yi'nan's follow-up to Black Coal, Thin Ice (called Wild Goose Lake) is coming out next year too. We need @Mr Chow to come and spill the tea!
    I agree mostly on these. Just parsing through the old Venice predictions it seems like Greenaway and Seidl were mentioned a bit too (as well as Konchalovsky which I stated earlier) though they never ended up showing up on the summer/fall circuit (Locarno-Venice-Toronto-San Sebastian).

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date: Jul 2018
    Posts: 8
    Is there a possibility for Ad Astra to being selected ? Too early in comparison to his official release date maybe (probably for Cannes).

  20. #20
    Old So and So average joe's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2008
    Location: Los Angeles, sorta
    Pronoun(s): Bro
    Posts: 2,432
    Radegund, please.
    DePalma?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •