• Timothée Chalamet- Beautiful Boy

89 43.41%
  • Russell Crowe - Boy Erased

5 2.44%
  • Adam Driver - BlacKkKlansman

144 70.24%
  • Sam Elliott - A Star is Born

183 89.27%
  • Richard E. Grant - Can You Ever Forgive Me?

189 92.20%
  • Josh Hamilton - Eighth Grade

6 2.93%
  • Brian Tyree Henry - If Beale Street Could Talk

9 4.39%
  • Nicholas Hoult - The Favourite

12 5.85%
  • Michael B. Jordan - Black Panther

67 32.68%
  • Daniel Kaluuya - Widows

8 3.90%
  • John Krasinski - A Quiet Place

2 0.98%
  • Jonathan Pryce - The Wife

15 7.32%
  • Sam Rockwell - Vice

55 26.83%
  • Dick Van Dyke - Mary Poppins Returns

2 0.98%
  • Other

1 0.49%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1620212223242526

Thread: Best Supporting Actor: December I

Quote Originally Posted by casper View Post
    Considering Elliott is heartbreaking and steals every second he's on screen as supporting actor while Driver is... well, Driver...

He still does more than Elliott.

Bored Awards Obsessive The Dark Poet's Avatar
    Pronoun(s): Varda
    Wow imagine comparing Sam Elliott to Adam Driver.

One is a legend in a small but emotional role in a massively successful film, possibly earning a nomination not only for his decades-long career, but because of the respect he has amassed.
    The other is someone who has, in a matter of a few short years, established himself as an exceptionally talented young actor who has been on the verge of a breakthrough nomination for years.

I don't know what version of ASIB people here saw, but in the one I saw, Elliott was solid and had some great moments, but hardly enough to earn all this celebratory praise. But that's not the worrying part - that's the fact that people like he's even comparable to Driver. Like surely the screentime difference alone will immediately dismiss the "he did more" argument.

Love him or hate him, Driver objectively DID do more than Elliott. Whether or not that deserves a nomination is up for debate, but we can't compare a nine minute performance to someone who comes close to being a co-lead.

So yeah, both will probably get nominated, but for entirely different reasons. Let's not pretend otherwise.

Richard the Lionheart
    Winner of NYFCC, ISA and the heart of audiences, critics and the industry alike

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinOnIce View Post
    Aren't there fan threads or something so that the frothing Chalamet Stans are able to speak about how he was really the winner last year? There is no purpose for every other page to be about the same revisionist bullshit. It is perplexing and delusional to be honest.
    Frothing is a good adjective, multi purpose too (ie: frothing Lady Gaga stans, frothing Glenn Close stans, frothing Jake Gyllenhaal stans, frothing Nicole Kidman stans...).

Quote Originally Posted by troote View Post
    Chalamet had NYFCC, LAFCA and Indie Spirit wins. The only one that was potentially ahead of him is DDL due to him being a retiring veteran beloved actor in a film with a late AMPAS surge, but even then I doubt it. And people still referring to Chalamet's buzz as online hysteria when he's out here getting both major and critics noms for a critical and commercial flop will never learn.
    Imagine if he gets the Oscar nom this season... But it was a weak season! they will say.

1. Richard E. Grant, Can You Ever Forgive Me?
    2. Mahershala Ali, Green Book
    3. Sam Elliott, A Star Is Born
    4. Adam Driver, BlacKkKlansman
    5. Sam Rockwell, Vice
    -
    6. Timothée Chalamet, Beautiful Boy
    7. Nicholas Hoult, The Favourite
    8. Michael B. Jordan, Black Panther
    9. Josh Hamilton, Eighth Grade
    10. Russell Hornsby, The Hate U Give

It'd be kind of surprising to see both Rockwell and Elliott nominated for such short performances. I'm thinking more and more that Chalamet sticks it out. Although, it could easily be Driver in fifth, not Chalamet.

Quote Originally Posted by KingMaximum View Post
    It'd be kind of surprising to see both Rockwell and Elliott nominated for such short performances. I'm thinking more and more that Chalamet sticks it out. Although, it could easily be Driver in fifth, not Chalamet.
    How would Driver be below Chalamet if he’s in a best picture player vs. a lone nominee? People on AW also claimed he would miss SAG, yet he didn’t. No matter how much people try to discredit Drivers performance, he has built himself a very nice momentum and with all the factors added he’s indeed very safe for a nomination.

Quote Originally Posted by Solarie View Post
    How would Driver be below Chalamet if he’s in a best picture player vs. a lone nominee? People on AW also claimed he would miss SAG, yet he didn’t. No matter how much people try to discredit Drivers performance, he has built himself a very nice momentum and with all the factors added he’s indeed very safe for a nomination.
    Chalamet's hot right now and this would be a classic afterglow nod. I'm not saying he is ahead of Driver, only that he very well could be. They're clearly fourth and fifth regardless. Personally don't get the Driver thing at all, but I think it's pretty clear he's happening at this point.

Which is to say, Ali and Grant are the only locks here. Elliott would be a shock as well, though.

I don’t get the Driver doubt. I think he’s firmly in and Klansman did very well at both Globes + SAG which is good for its momentum.

Quote Originally Posted by tyjagi View Post
    I don’t get the Driver doubt. I think he’s firmly in and Klansman did very well at both Globes + SAG which is good for its momentum.
    It makes no sense. The guy has a very comfortable spot in the top 5 right now, definitely not below Chalamet.
    http://awardswatch.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic4774_23.gif

Quote Originally Posted by tyjagi View Post
    Yeah, it’s nonsense. He’s happening.