• Other

2 1.14%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1721222324252627

Thread: Best Picture: December I

👑 -Lesbian Defence Warrior⚔️ Cinesnatch's Avatar
    Pronoun(s): @sshole!
    Quote Originally Posted by PenguinOnIce View Post
    I am really beginning to believe that A Star Is Born is about to sweep every televised award and be the obvious winner going into Oscar night, but posters are just being delusional about it because they want some suspense.
    Why would ASIB win SAG ensemble (essentially, a cast of three)? It would be out-of-sync with typical SAG winners. And, well, if ASIB is winning the Globe, and then it wins SAG (next major televised event, because I don't count film "critics" who predict Oscars), and then PGA ... all I can say is ... the batons will come out, and it will be taken out at the knees. You can take that to the bank. Films that start a run like that which aren't underdogs do not win Oscar in the end.

ASIB will win Globes Drama, lose SAG ensemble and won't become an overwhelming frontrunner everyone is sick of

Quote Originally Posted by Instant View Post
    ASIB will win Globes Drama, lose SAG ensemble and won't become an overwhelming frontrunner everyone is sick of
    I agree. However, if Globes be Globes, it will win five Globes, which will attract attention in January. Winning PGA will attract more attention.

It needs to pull a Moonlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinesnatch View Post
    I agree. However, if Globes be Globes, it will win five Globes, which will attract attention in January. Winning PGA will attract more attention.

It needs to pull a Moonlight.
    Yeah, winning BD over Cuaron at the Globes won't be cute. Cooper and WB better start bribing HFPA members to not give their movie too much love, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Instant View Post
    Yeah, winning BD over Cuaron at the Globes won't be cute. Cooper and WB better start bribing HFPA members to not give their movie too much love, lol
    I'm thinking that WB is on the case. They certainly knew how to play their cards at TIFF (allowing Green Card and company to take the attention for the Audience Award).

Pronoun(s): King
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinesnatch View Post
    I'm thinking that WB is on the case. They certainly knew how to play their cards at TIFF (allowing Green Card and company to take the attention for the Audience Award).

Ugh. I wish I could say it was intentional. This has to have been the sixth time (and I will do it at least six more times in the next two months guaranteed).

ASIB will win 3 or 4 Globes, enough to establish it but not enough to launch a huge backlash. I’ve been skeptical of it but we’re now heading into Xmas and so far the film has dodged being a considerable target beyond some anti-Gaga trolling quite well. It seems like every film in the race including Roma is divisive which helps.

I don't know that HFPA loved ASIB all that much so I remain skeptical.

Quote Originally Posted by Meryl Sheep View Post
    If anything Get Out’s score is a little too low relative to how respected it was by the end of the year. I remember It being a point of contention last year. There seemed to be a little bit of a critical renaissance for the film months after its release once white critics were clued in that it was zeitgeisty and important for them to like it. It was initially reviewed as a well-done genre film, and horror films have to reach a really high standard to not be savaged by critics, so while an 84 is still really good, I bet it would have been closer to 90 if it was reappraised in the fall.
    That's precisely what I meant. The fact that Black Panther has a higher score than Get Out, when it doesnt even come close in terms of acting, screenplay or editing, is ridiculous. But hey! Doctor Strange and Antman also have like 89% on RT. Marvel movies are the equivalent of junk food and their main purpose is to make money, there's no need to throw awards at them for doing the bare minimum. Plenty other daring, progressive, diverse movies out there if AMPAS really want to reward diversity.

The percentage is not the most significant thing on Rotten Tomatoes, it's the average rating. BP drew in far more people beyond the regular superhero crowd the actual junk food Marvel movies do because it was different to them and sustained incredible word of mouth so that criticism is invalid. There's no point even arguing about this when the facts are so overwhelming.

Why are the threads for the first half of December not yet locked?