111 61.67%
  • Other

2 1.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3640414243444546

Thread: Best Picture: January I

Pronoun(s): KyloD
    Quote Originally Posted by klariso View Post
    I think someone raised a point that ever since the Spotlight year, that film that gets the least amount of hatred/negative reviews benefit the most since it can be seen as the 'consensus' middle pick from the passionate contenders that have detractors (think of Spotlight vs. Big Short and Revenant, Moonlight vs. La La Land, Shape of Water vs. Three Billboards). This year, that will be Roma against Green Book and A Star is Born
    What's there to hate about A Star is Born? Its nothing like La La Land (which got hate due to the absurd amount of GG wins) or Three Billboards. And The Revenant and The Big Short weren't as good movies as ASIB. I don't think there's much to hate about Roma, A Star is Born, The Favourite or Blackkklansman. Its some of the lower tier nominees that don't deserve to be there.

Pronoun(s): La Bergman
    Quote Originally Posted by KyloDMidoriya View Post
    Honestly, SpiderVerse shouldn't just win Animated Feature but also get nominated here. Its the best Animated and Superhero movie in a long time.
    I kinda agree. It's better than half of the BP contenders this year.

Pronoun(s): KyloD
    Quote Originally Posted by CitizenKian View Post
    I kinda agree. It's better than half of the BP contenders this year.
    Yeah its in my top 5 movies this year. Just a perfect blend of comedy and drama.

No one really hates ASIB anymore, because it's becoming a loser of the season, that's probably only gonna win Song and Sound Mixing, lol. It's not snatching anything from Cuaron and Lee, so no reason for folks to hate it.

But being a loser doesn't always mean there won't be any hate. American Hustle lost everything and people still despised it

P.S. Yeah, Spider-Man deserves to be nominated in BP instead of Green Book, Vice and BR
    Last edited by Instant; 01-14-2019 at 05:19 AM.

People hated American Hustle??? I never really got that impression. It even made 150M in US , 250M worldwide. I always thought that it was a very liked movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Solarie View Post
    People hated American Hustle??? I never really got that impression. It even made 150M in US , 250M worldwide. I always thought that it was a very liked movie.
    On the internet, I mean. I can't imagine how the same people who gave it Best Picture at NYFCC can hate it, lol. Especially with that MC score

Quote Originally Posted by Instant View Post
    On the internet, I mean. I can't imagine how the same people who gave it Best Picture at NYFCC can hate it, lol. Especially with that MC score
    True. The backlash against American Hustle, coming from that NYFCC and JLaw's second Oscar prospects was item in the media.

Pronoun(s): Him
    Quote Originally Posted by klariso View Post
    I think someone raised a point that ever since the Spotlight year, that film that gets the least amount of hatred/negative reviews benefit the most since it can be seen as the 'consensus' middle pick from the passionate contenders that have detractors (think of Spotlight vs. Big Short and Revenant, Moonlight vs. La La Land, Shape of Water vs. Three Billboards). This year, that will be Roma against Green Book and A Star is Born
    I was thinking “Roma” was too high brow/not mainstream enough, but even a former soap opera actor and current CW star like Nathan Parsons is rooting for it (based on his Instagram stories), I guess it has more appeal than I imagined?

Quote Originally Posted by Solarie View Post
    @Solarie
    Hate is a strong word, I think most were disappointed with it, they see it as overrated.

IMDB - 7.3
    RT - 74% (audience)
    Letterboxd - 3.3/5

That’s a rather low score for such a bro director, right?

I want to believe in Roma winning PGA and locking BP, but I still feel like this is either a Moulin Rouge situation at PGA and ASIB wins it or Klansman upsets and becomes the industry consensus pick. I mean, Roma winning BAFTA, PGA, DGA, WGA, and BFCA would just be a too easy BP win for an artsy foreign language film.

Stop Roma. A Star Is Born has lost enough for me to want it to win PGA.

Quote Originally Posted by J-bravo View Post
    Stop Roma. A Star Is Born has lost enough for me to want it to win PGA.
    I’m curious if you’ve even seen this film? I find your stance against it quite bizarre, I remember you referring to it’s praise as “exaggerated” before it was even released.

Quote Originally Posted by Iheartamyadams View Post
    I’m curious if you’ve even seen this film? I find your stance against it quite bizarre, I remember you referring to it’s praise as “exaggerated” before it was even released.
    Roma? It's on Netflix so I've seen it and I rated it on the poll. I don't want it to win PGA because the race would be over and A Star Is Born actually deserves to win PGA.

If Yalitza shows up on noms morning despite having no traction on TV awards and even critics, I'll believe the Academy is going full on with the support for Roma.

Right now Roma, ASIB and Blackkklansman all seem reasonable winners.

Quote Originally Posted by pablozedd View Post
    If Yalitza shows up on noms morning despite having no traction on TV awards and even critics, I'll believe the Academy is going full on with the support for Roma.

Ehh it's a weak year. Roma is going to make off with it.

Quote Originally Posted by pablozedd View Post

Yalitza got a BFCA nom, that was televised, she also got quite a few critic mentions.

Quote Originally Posted by KyloDMidoriya View Post
    What's there to hate about A Star is Born? Its nothing like La La Land (which got hate due to the absurd amount of GG wins) or Three Billboards. And The Revenant and The Big Short weren't as good movies as ASIB. I don't think there's much to hate about Roma, A Star is Born, The Favourite or Blackkklansman. Its some of the lower tier nominees that don't deserve to be there.
    I think you're really underestimating how many people (particularly the "steak eaters") are turned off by The Favourite and BlacKkKlansman.

A lot of people in Hollywood have major issues with Spike Lee to begin with. And in any discussion I've seen of BKkK, even among liberal cinephiles who agreed with the message 100 percent, there have been people who were really bothered by certain choices (like the ending, in particular). It got good reviews, but it's left audiences divided.

And The Favourite is a strange, extremely vulgar movie that's really shocked a lot of viewers who expected it to be more of a typical costume drama. It also doesn't have any "likeable" characters, which tends to be a turnoff for the more basic voters, who are looking for something they consider inspiring, with characters they can root for.

Quote Originally Posted by tyjagi View Post
    Kyle is probably my fave pundit, but the amount of pundits going with “Wow, Roma might actually win” takes today is probably why it’s actually going to win. Too many people have just assumed it can’t and because of that, it’s become shockingly unthreatening/unassuming.

Quote Originally Posted by Vektor View Post
    I want to believe in Roma winning PGA and locking BP, but I still feel like this is either a Moulin Rouge situation at PGA and ASIB wins it or Klansman upsets and becomes the industry consensus pick. I mean, Roma winning BAFTA, PGA, DGA, WGA, and BFCA would just be a too easy BP win for an artsy foreign language film.
    I guess this is time to accept it