Thread: Best Film Editing: January I

1. Bohemian Rhapsody
    2. Roma
    3. First Man
    4. Vice
    5. BlacKkKlansman

6. A Star Is Born
    7. The Favourite

It’s certainly possible. If First Man maxes out on techs, I’ll probably predict it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt24 View Post
    Itís certainly possible. If First Man maxes out on techs, Iíll probably predict it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    That "suspense!" trend plays against a BR win, and what was the last biopic to win this category? But with BP out of the race admittedly the pickings are slim. Maybe BKK, or First Man could pull a Dragon Tattoo, if it does well in the tech awards.
    It's not a suspense trend. Like Whiplash, it was a SHOWY SHOWY SHOWY trend like Bohemian and Vice.

Magnificently Monolithic Aaron Leggo's Avatar
    I still think Whiplash supports the suspense argument. That movie is gripping, tight, and very intense at times. It's not simply showy.

Well, I looked into what happened here with the precursor and Oscar noms in the last few years, and it didn't help me at all.

But the ASIB snub kinda feels inevitable? I mean, this is a strong field, so I have a hard time seeing a movie with criticized editing like ASIB getting in. It reminds me of how Manchester by the Sea got snubbed despite it receiving BAFTA Editing and ACE Drama noms.

Pronoun(s): He/Him
    Quote Originally Posted by Vektor View Post
    Well, I looked into what happened here with the precursor and Oscar noms in the last few years, and it didn't help me at all.

But the ASIB snub kinda feels inevitable? I mean, this is a strong field, so I have a hard time seeing a movie with criticized editing like ASIB getting in. It reminds me of how Manchester by the Sea got snubbed despite it receiving BAFTA Editing and ACE Drama noms.
    ASIB has criticized editing??? If anything people praised it for the final cut.

Jay Cassidy is not missing for this. If anything it's a contender for the win.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Has there literally ever been a top tier BP contender that missed BAFTA? I think BKK and ASIB are both out for the win here because of that. And pasaage of time was a big ASIB gripe.

Has there literally ever been a top tier BP contender that missed BAFTA? I think BKK and ASIB are both out for the win here because of that. And pasaage of time was a big ASIB gripe.
    Moonlight and Spotlight missed BAFTA editing nominations.

ETA: Oh, I reread your post. Moonlight and Spotlight didn't win editing, which supports your point.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert A. View Post
    Moonlight and Spotlight missed BAFTA editing nominations.
    I meant went on to win the Editing Oscar.

I meant went on to win the Editing Oscar.
    Yeah, I figured that out after I posted. See my ETA on the original post.

Quote Originally Posted by chrispepper View Post
    ASIB has criticized editing??? If anything people praised it for the final cut.

Jay Cassidy is not missing for this. If anything it's a contender for the win.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    lol, no, it's definitely not winning this. It's Bohemian Rhapsody vs. First Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert A. View Post
    Yeah, I figured that out after I posted. See my ETA on the original post.
    And this is why I keep coming back to Roma as the BP winner despite everything telling me no. Right now all I can see ASIB winning is Sound Mixing and Song and BKkK Screenplay. I suppose BKKK could pull a Spotlight and Cooper could make a surge in Actor if BR misses BP, but Roma feels like the more comfortable prediction with Director + Cinematography as a historically strong pairing for a Picture win.

Quote Originally Posted by Vektor View Post
    lol, no, it's definitely not winning this. It's Bohemian Rhapsody vs. First Man.
    Either way, there is no way its missing.

And this is why I keep coming back to Roma as the BP winner despite everything telling me no. Right now all I can see ASIB winning is Sound Mixing and Song and BKkK Screenplay. I suppose BKKK could pull a Spotlight and Cooper could make a surge in Actor if BR misses BP, but Roma feels like the more comfortable prediction with Director + Cinematography as a historically strong pairing for a Picture win.
    And at least with Klansman there's a small chance that Lee wins DGA. I can't even say the same thing about Cooper, because he will have his own first-time director DGA award, and I can't see him winning two DGA awards. So Cooper doesn't even a path to a BD Oscar.

If I had to predict what gets snubbed here it's probably Klansman. Not the showiest editing in the category + the editor isn't really a name either but its tough. Bohemian Rhapsody and First Man both getting in over much stronger best picture contenders doesn't exactly sit right. And if First Man continues on its Blade Runner trajectory, it could still miss here like that did last year.

01. Vice
    02. Roma
    03. A Star Is Born
    04. Bohemian Rhapsody - no name editor, not clear how strong the film will be overall but showy editing - I, Tonya Style nom.
    05. First Man - A no1curr film but big name editor + hit everywhere + super showy tech-heavy film.

06. Blackkklansman

But you can inter-change all of them really. I would say everything is vulnerable other than perhaps Vice.

Former Gold Rush champion Damiansport1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chrispepper View Post
    If I had to predict what gets snubbed here it's probably Klansman. Not the showiest editing in the category + the editor isn't really a name either but its tough. Bohemian Rhapsody and First Man both getting in over much stronger best picture contenders doesn't exactly sit right. And if First Man continues on its Blade Runner trajectory, it could still miss here like that did last year.

01. Vice
    02. Roma
    03. A Star Is Born
    04. Bohemian Rhapsody - no name editor, not clear how strong the film will be overall but showy editing - I, Tonya Style nom.
    05. First Man - A no1curr film but big name editor + hit everywhere + super showy tech-heavy film.

06. Blackkklansman

But you can inter-change all of them really. I would say everything is vulnerable other than perhaps Vice.
    The Favourite?

I have:

First Man
    Roma
    Bohemian Rhapsody
    Vice
    The Favourite

Second year in a row editing will be toughest category to predict. I remember last year discussions

Quote Originally Posted by Damiansport1 View Post
    The Favourite?

I have:

First Man
    Roma
    Bohemian Rhapsody
    Vice
    The Favourite

Second year in a row editing will be toughest category to predict. I remember last year discussions
    Certainly possible but I wouldnt count on it. I just can't really see ASIB missing. Top 3 films + showy editing + editor like Jay Cassidy don't really ever miss here.

Final predictions:

Bohemian Rhapsody
    First Man
    Roma
    A Star is Born
    Vice

BlacKKKlansman
    The Favourite
    First Man
    Roma
    A Star Is Born