User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who do you wanna Save?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Woody Allen - Sleeper

43 58.90%
  • Francis Ford Coppola - Peggy Sue Got Married

30 41.10%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Director Idol S2 Allen V Coppola

Director Idol S2 Allen V Coppola

Pick one

I USED TO THINK THAT... MY LIFE WAS A TRAGEDY... BUT NOW I REALIZE... ITS A COMEDY

Buy Now That I Found You on iTunes VannVicente's Avatar
    Peggy Sue is great y'all.

Oscar Winners Phil Lord, Christopher Miller, Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsey & Rodney Rothman, for Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

This result is kind of surprising to me since, since FFC was ahead of him in the original poll.

Pronoun(s): She/Her
    I blame Kubrick for this! I can’t fathom that one of the two will be gone
    #Huppert2020

Pronoun(s): He/Him
    Quote Originally Posted by MorganaleFey View Post
    I blame Kubrick for this! I can’t fathom that one of the two will be gone
    PTA teas

Remember, love is what brought you here...

Phew! The right person is winning.

Quote Originally Posted by bickle View Post
    Phew! The right person is winning.
    Coppola is only at 14 to Allen's 25 tho.

Quote Originally Posted by ArgentinaCrossing View Post
    Coppola is only at 14 to Allen's 25 tho.

This is not the easiest of choices. I first saw Sleeper on a double bill at the cinema with Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex.... in 1980. Loved them both but in particular Sleeper. However, over the years on reviewing Sleeper I have found it's aged and gotten less enjoyable with each viewing.

I saw Peggy Sue on its first release and was very impressed (Coppola had had some recent ups - The Outsiders & Rumble Fish & some recent downs The Cotton Club & One From the Heart - which I watched again recently and I'm disappointed to say that it has improved with age). I really can't remember if I have seen Peggy Sue a second time (I do own a copy of Blu Ray as I do of Woody Allen's Sleeper). Anyway, in voting I always go with my best viewing experience - so even if I think a film is not as good as the decades past by I don't hold that against it, just like if I review a film I initially didn't like but like on its second viewing I hold onto the better viewing experience to make my judgements. So with that in mind I voted for Sleeper. I had voted for Sleeper & Peggy Sue in the first round and this isn't any easy choice to make. They are both very enjoyable films - not top shelf by either director but important films within their filmmakers body of works.

Peggy Sue is pretty underrated in general. But let's not forget it's hack work; Coppola didn't write the script and was offered the job only after Jonathan Demme and Penny Marshall were attached at separate points.

It's a lovely little film but this hard to say there's a lot of passion behind it; Tucker was hack work as well but seemed considerably more personal. So I have to go with Sleeper, which is a pretty iconic classic.

Bored Awards Obsessive The Dark Poet's Avatar
    Pronoun(s): Varda
    Not to mention, Legend Kathleen should've been cited as co-director, considering how much she fought for parts of the film to be executed in a certain way!

Star Wars: Episode X
    Vengeance of the Runners-Up

Quote Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
    Peggy Sue is pretty underrated in general. But let's not forget it's hack work; Coppola didn't write the script and was offered the job only after Jonathan Demme and Penny Marshall were attached at separate points.

It's a lovely little film but this hard to say there's a lot of passion behind it; Tucker was hack work as well but seemed considerably more personal. So I have to go with Sleeper, which is a pretty iconic classic.
    So I suppose that, like, half of Scorsese's filmography is "hack work" as well? Including the likes of The Aviator, Cape Fear, Hugo, The King of Comedy...
    Last edited by Luc; 04-22-2019 at 12:38 PM.

Bored Awards Obsessive The Dark Poet's Avatar
    Pronoun(s): Varda
    Quote Originally Posted by Luc View Post
    So I suppose that, like, half of Scorsese's filmography is "hack work" as well?
    I don't think someone else writing it counts as hack work, but rather that FFC was basically a "director for hire" on it, with it not really being a passion project. It doesn't discount it, just means it wasn't really a film he was in visionary control of

Star Wars: Episode X
    Vengeance of the Runners-Up

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Poet View Post
    I don't think someone else writing it counts as hack work, but rather that FFC was basically a "director for hire" on it, with it not really being a passion project. It doesn't discount it, just means it wasn't really a film he was in visionary control of
    Many of Scorsese's projects made the rounds in Hollywood before they got to his hands, though... he wasn't involved in all of them from the very very start. Doesn't mean any of them are "hack works", does it?

The Color of Money is definitely hackwork being in a period where Scorsese had little clout and couldn't choose his own projects. Cape Fear was something Spielberg was developing and swapped with Marty for Schindler's List, I wouldn't consider either of those hack films though considering the ultimate results. After Hours wasn't a Marty script but also wasn't some big studio film; Scorsese specifically wanted to do something where he had creative license, and I think its odd tone and idiosyncrasies make it a more personal work than it would seem on the surface.

Essentially it's about control. If you have the standing and freedom to make what you want, you aren't taking projects for money or so you can just keep working. Someone like Spielberg has never had to to hackwork, due to his early financial successes. Marty and Coppola went through similar periods in the 1980s. I misspoke when I put that label on Tucker because while Coppola didn't write the script, it was a long gestating project for him and made under the Zoetrope/Lucasfilm banner. But Peggy Sue, Gardens of Stone, Jack, and The Rainmaker all fall under this category without a doubt. And Marty really only has one or two titles that you could legitimately describe as such.

Pronoun(s): It
    @BillCipher , in actor idol the elimination rounds were open for just 24 hours. I think that's great to make the game more dynamic. Just for your consideration!

Quote Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
    The Color of Money is definitely hackwork being in a period where Scorsese had little clout and couldn't choose his own projects. Cape Fear was something Spielberg was developing and swapped with Marty for Schindler's List, I wouldn't consider either of those hack films though considering the ultimate results. After Hours wasn't a Marty script but also wasn't some big studio film; Scorsese specifically wanted to do something where he had creative license, and I think its odd tone and idiosyncrasies make it a more personal work than it would seem on the surface.

Essentially it's about control. If you have the standing and freedom to make what you want, you aren't taking projects for money or so you can just keep working. Someone like Spielberg has never had to to hackwork, due to his early financial successes. Marty and Coppola went through similar periods in the 1980s. I misspoke when I put that label on Tucker because while Coppola didn't write the script, it was a long gestating project for him and made under the Zoetrope/Lucasfilm banner. But Peggy Sue, Gardens of Stone, Jack, and The Rainmaker all fall under this category without a doubt. And Marty really only has one or two titles that you could legitimately describe as such.
    Hmmmm. Understood your point now.

Quote Originally Posted by McTeague View Post
    @BillCipher , in actor idol the elimination rounds were open for just 24 hours. I think that's great to make the game more dynamic. Just for your consideration!
    sounds good. I'll incorporate that for the next elimination round.

I USED TO THINK THAT... MY LIFE WAS A TRAGEDY... BUT NOW I REALIZE... ITS A COMEDY

Pronoun(s): It
    Quote Originally Posted by BillCipher View Post
    sounds good. I'll incorporate that for the next elimination round.
    Thank you!
    Last edited by McTeague; 04-23-2019 at 12:32 AM.

Alvy in a rout. No contest
    If Harley Quinn did not exist, it would be necessary to invent her

- Jesus Christ