User Tag List

Page 1 of 22 123456711 ... LastLast

Thread: Avengers: Endgame (Russo Bros., 2019) SPOILERS ALLOWED

Pronoun(s): King

Avengers: Endgame (Russo Bros., 2019) SPOILERS ALLOWED

Let's discuss!

I'm still writing my review and processing the movie, but I loved Endgame, despite some of the flaws the movie has. It was beautiful to see everything coming together, it packs a great emotional punch and at this point Marvel has really nailed the humor, some scenes were absolutely hilarious. The third act/last hour is absolutely insane and full of great character moments (The shot with the women heroes)! Props to the Russo Bros to pulling this off.

Also, OF COURSE he was worthy. I knew it!
    Last edited by MrFilmkritik; 04-23-2019 at 03:42 PM.

Forever my Queen.

I want to know all the spoilers.

The Dog.

Mr. Basic
    Quote Originally Posted by Protheus View Post
    I want to know all the spoilers.
    Rocket gropes Stark at one point.

Not really, but I've been using that when people ask for spoilers on social media.
    Recent films RRA survived:

John Wick Chapter 3: Parabellum (BIG Thumbs Up)
    Missing Link (Thumbs Up)
    Shazam! (Thumbs Up)
    The Christmas Chronicles (Thumbs Up)

Quote Originally Posted by RRA View Post
    Rocket gropes Stark at one point.

Not really, but I've been using that when people ask for spoilers on social media.
    Too late!

Quote Originally Posted by predatorxxi View Post
    Couldn't contain myself and read the plot leak. Now I really want to see this be Marvel's lowest reviewed movie for the meltdowns.
    I read it too and I hate everything. I can’t wait for this mess

Like: It’s real spoilers, not just observations so choose to open knowing I’m going full in

So....
    1. They kill Black Widow when she’s having a movie coming up? Why will people care watching it by then? She’s dead.
    2. Thor arc looks so boring but at least he is the only one of the original 6 that has somewhere to go, now as a GOTG member
    3. Zzzzzzzzz... Hawkeye
    4. Captain America sucks for what he does. Always knew he was the least heroic but at least he will have his fake-good guy mask taken off from his face.
    5. Iron Man’s ending is predictable and uninspired. Narratively speaking, it would’ve been better for him to retire and have killed Captain America instead. But at least this cements the fact he was in the right side during Civil War.
    6. Disabled Hulk? What is he supposed to do from now on?

Anyway, this is a messy ending to the original team. Who are going to be the new Avengers leaders? Other characters aren’t going to be able to sustain the team.

The Dog.

Blah.

Mr. Basic
    I'm not going to bother with spoilers here because its the film criticism thread.

You've been warned!

I've not seen it yet but I've read the plot summary, so trying to make sense of it is like trying to complete a puzzle without the box cover as reference. You lose something without the dramatic context. I have the right to change any of my forthcoming opinions once I've seen the film.

But yeah the Cap capper (get it?) that's annoyed some folks in the Marvel news thread, I've got complicated thoughts on it:

*So Marvel was going to put on the shelf several characters for a few years, pending inevitable recastings and returns. The last few weeks I increasingly figured Tony would die because what better way to represent the end of an era for the MCU than to off your eldest statesman, the hero who started this universe that's conquered pop culture? Black Widow dying is a surprise, but in that context it makes to me. She's close to the Avengers, but who is she closest to when you think about it besides her ex in Banner? Probably Fury, Hawkeye, Cap, Coulson, etc. Mostly her old SHIELD clique. As AGE OF ULTRON established, she's not just close to Hawkeye as a buddy but a honorary Aunt really for his kids. Her character up to this point has been defined as being a loner, priding herself (or being non-chalant as a psychological defense defense barrier?) on being a survivor. She has no family, outside of people she's met along the way at SHIELD or with the Avengers. Yeah I could see her sacrifice herself (without thinking twice) so Hawkeye's kids wouldn't lose their dad. I don't mind that. (Of course that scene could also be done in a clusterfuck way, I'm just grading this shit conceptually.)

*I even like the idea of Nebula literally killing her past version. I mean that's one way to have a thematic arc conclude over 4 movies establishing her turn to good.

*Now Cap....yeah. So you off Tony and Black Widow (albeit Natasha could come back the same way Gamora inevitably will in GOTGv3: The Search for Spock) so do you off Cap again and possibly make it redundant? Or do you try to give him a happy ending while again keeping him off the MCU board the next few years but given an exit so you could bring him back if you want to?

*Granted the fact that Cap missing out on living a life potentially with Peggy is one of those key dramatic themes defining his characterization for the last 8 years, on paper it makes sense for him to have his happy ending. Hell you even have an out in that TWS revealed Peggy married another (unnamed) man and lived a long life with kids and shit. What if Steve was that guy after all, just given an identity change. This assumes a hell whole lot like wouldn't people see him and go "uh he looks like that walking American flag who punched out Hitler 200 times"? I mean Howard Stark would look at him and go "hey!" Unless he's given plastic surgery. I mean all this sounds convoluted and silly as hell, but that's the sort of thing you've had in comics to wave away big continuity gaps. But..

*AGENT CARTER was a really good show, unfortunately not enough people watched it and thus lasted only 2 seasons. But Peggy's arc in season 1 was her ultimately accepting Cap's passing (after angst and internal struggles) and moving on with her life, being inspired by him to keep fighting the good fight. Season 2 she's open to love again, ending up with the disabled veteran co-worker Sousa. Was he her future husband that TWS revealed? Who knows, but that possibility was there. So Cap going back to the past and hooking up with her means AGENT CARTER never happens, the only MCU tie-in TV show that the movies actually ever referenced as canon (it's true, look it up.) So that's a bummer.

*I've seen people argue it takes away Peggy's choice. I think it's been made clear that she clearly wouldn't mind fonduing with him in the first place, so her being delighted he was back makes sense to me. I mean remember TWS when dementia-riddled elderly Peggy thinks she's seeing Steve for that first time? OK imagine her reaction 70 years earlier.

*Here's my real problem with this creative decision: OK so Cap is back in the past and lives out a full life and is an old as fuck dude in 2019 or 2024 (or whatever.) That's the thing. He knows about SHIELD being infiltrated by Hydra, that growing cancer. He knows about Pierce. He knows about Bucky being Hydra's guinea pig. He knows that Howard and his wife are going to get assassinated. Shit Cap knows about 20th century post-WW2 stuff in general that he could do something about or alter.

*It reminds me of that bullshit Zack Snyder cooked up for Wonder Woman in the DCEU where she sits on her ass for a century because her boyfriend died, but doesn't get off it for WW2 or anything bad that happened for most of the 20th century until she gets that angry email from Batman. So dumb, Patty Jenkins and Gal Gadot are having to retcon that nonsense out. I generally prided MCU for thinking this shit through and thus not cornered and fucked (Brutasha was one exception, obviously), but this sort of decision is on that scale. I mean as convenient AF as it was for Captain Marvel to be across the cosmos for decades to explain away why she wasn't on Earth for any of the shit that happened in Phases 1-3 before ENDGAME, its something.

*Fans will argue well Cap has to respect the timeline's continuity or else it'll explode the space-time continuum blah blah. Even if you swallow that (and I don't necessarily think I do), here's the ballbuster...

*We know of Cap's characterization defined by now, right? Do you see him as somebody who just lets bad shit happen? I don't. I mean sure he could adopt a Nomad-type gimmick (as part of his new public identity) that he does in the shadows, but again it's his nature to jump onto a grenade. He would look at Hydra in the shadows and go FUCK THAT. So would Peggy if she knew!

This shit just gives me a headache.

Missing Link (Thumbs Up)
    Shazam! (Thumbs Up)

Howdy!
    Can someone tell me if Jane Foster appears?
    If so, how long?

Quote Originally Posted by RRA View Post
    *I've seen people argue it takes away Peggy's choice. I think it's been made clear that she clearly wouldn't mind fonduing with him in the first place, so her being delighted he was back makes sense to me. I mean remember TWS when dementia-riddled elderly Peggy thinks she's seeing Steve for that first time? OK imagine her reaction 70 years earlier.
    He doesn't just take away her choice, he disappears the kids she had. I can't conceive of him doing something so selfish. Also is Sharon his niece now? Does she even still exist?

*Here's my real problem with this creative decision: OK so Cap is back in the past and lives out a full life and is an old as fuck dude in 2019 or 2024 (or whatever.) That's the thing. He knows about SHIELD being infiltrated by Hydra, that growing cancer. He knows about Pierce. He knows about Bucky being Hydra's guinea pig. He knows that Howard and his wife are going to get assassinated. Shit Cap knows about 20th century post-WW2 stuff in general that he could do something about or alter.
    I guess he just lets Bucky stay captured/tortured for decades while he plays house! "Till the end of the line" my ass!

(STILL MAD.)

Just read the Cap spoiler. About Time did the whole "man uses time travel to erase a part of a woman's life" thing first!

Mr. Basic
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatshepsutely View Post
    Also is Sharon his niece now? Does she even still exist?
    It's the new "Luke and Leia smooching before finding out they're related"!

Missing Link (Thumbs Up)
    Shazam! (Thumbs Up)

I literally can't believe the pass so many critics are giving this decision. It's appalling if looked at beyond the shiny surface.

Can someone tell me if Michael Douglas and Michelle Pfeiffer are in this movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Lynch View Post
    Can someone tell me if Michael Douglas and Michelle Pfeiffer are in this movie?
    Yes, for just a moment or two at the very end. (They don't have any lines.)

EDIT: Oh wait, Douglas also has a brief scene in the 70s where he talks.

Yes, for just a moment or two at the very end. (They don't have any lines.)
    Ugh. Dissappointing. What a waste of Pfeiffer especially in her two movies so far.

Pronoun(s): He/Him
    I hope it’s better than Infinite Bore
    You: God Bless Scorsese, Tarantino, and Hitchcock

Me, an intellectual: I prefer Malick, Ozon, and Nolan.

Movie's only been released in a few territories and I'm already seeing a lot of "Captain America let this horrible thing happen!" memes all over the place

Going to be interesting to see reactions to this particular development. Time-travel films always tend to be so wishy washy with their rules, and something like this in a multiconnected universe such as Marvel's could prove challenging for future projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Can someone tell me if Jane Foster appears?
    If so, how long?
    She did. Just quickly during the second act of the movie. I don't even remember if she uttered a line tbh.

Pronoun(s): She/Her
    Can someone shed light on Pepper Potts and Tony Stark ending?!
    #Huppert2020

Quote Originally Posted by MorganaleFey View Post
    Can someone shed light on Pepper Potts and Tony Stark ending?!
    He dies a slow, agonizing death and she watches and cries.

Pronoun(s): She/Her
    He dies a slow, agonizing death and she watches and cries.
    I’m crying why can’t I have nice things
    #Huppert2020