User Tag List

View Poll Results: Selects between 5-10 films

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1917

    51 61.45%
  • Ad Astra

    14 16.87%
  • The Aeronauts

    14 16.87%
  • Against All Enemies

    1 1.20%
  • Ammonite

    2 2.41%
  • Bad Education

    0 0%
  • A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

    60 72.29%
  • Cats

    8 9.64%
  • Clemency

    0 0%
  • Downhill

    1 1.20%
  • Downton Abbey Movie

    0 0%
  • Dry Run

    4 4.82%
  • Fair and Balanced

    12 14.46%
  • Falling

    0 0%
  • The Farewell

    31 37.35%
  • First Cow

    0 0%
  • Ford v Ferrari

    36 43.37%
  • The Glorias: A Life on the Roads

    1 1.20%
  • The Goldfinch

    6 7.23%
  • The Good Liar

    1 1.20%
  • Harriet

    47 56.63%
  • The Irishman

    65 78.31%
  • Jojo Rabbit

    55 66.27%
  • The Joker

    1 1.20%
  • Just Mercy

    2 2.41%
  • The King

    2 2.41%
  • The Last Thing He Wanted

    0 0%
  • The Lighthouse

    10 12.05%
  • Little Women

    44 53.01%
  • Nomadland

    4 4.82%
  • Dolemite is My Name

    0 0%
  • Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

    72 86.75%
  • A Hidden Life

    8 9.64%
  • Pain and Glory

    8 9.64%
  • Parasite

    14 16.87%
  • The Pope

    6 7.23%
  • Portrait of a Lady on Fire

    2 2.41%
  • Queen & Slim

    0 0%
  • The Report

    9 10.84%
  • Rocketman

    6 7.23%
  • SÚrgio

    0 0%
  • Uncut Gems

    5 6.02%
  • Untitled Noah Baumbach Project

    21 25.30%
  • The Personal History of David Copperfield

    5 6.02%
  • Us

    1 1.20%
  • Wasp Network

    0 0%
  • Wendy

    1 1.20%
  • Other

    8 9.64%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789
Results 161 to 177 of 177

Thread: Best Picture: June 2019

  1. #161
    Junior Member
    Join Date: Jan 2019
    Posts: 20
    Quote Originally Posted by oneandonly View Post
    Someone tell me this Aeronauts tea cause its suddenly popping up in y’alls predictions...
    Yeah, I would love to know what is going on as well...

  2. #162
    Senior Member Vektor's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2012
    Location: Hungary / Austria
    Posts: 9,510
    Welp, here we go...


  3. #163
    Senior Member Keirdancer's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2007
    Location: Los Angeles
    Posts: 1,512
    1. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    2. A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
    3. Little Women
    4. Harriet
    5. Jojo Rabbit
    6. The Farewell
    7. Ford vs. Ferrari
    8. The Irishman
    9. 1917
    10. Cats

  4. #164
    Senior Member lacourseauxetoiles's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2018
    Location: Chicago
    Posts: 6,152
    1. Once Uppon a Time in Hollywood
    2. Jojo Rabbit
    3. The Aeronauts
    4. The Irishman
    5. Harriet
    6. Little Women
    7. Untitled Noah Baumbach Project
    8. A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
    9. Ford v. Ferrari

    10. The Pope
    11. Falling
    12. Parasite
    13. Uncut Gems
    14. Ad Astra
    15. Pain and Glory
    16. Joker
    17. Cats
    18. Fair and Balanced
    19. The Lighthouse
    20. Lucy in the Sky
    21. Long Time Coming
    22. The Laundromat
    23. Us

    If 1917 or Dry Run comes out this year, I'll predict them being nominated.

  5. #165
    Former Gold Rush champion Damiansport1's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2015
    Location: Poland
    Posts: 9,381
    I actually believe Avengers: End Game should be in the poll. In the coming weeks it will surpass Avatar and become highest grossing film of all time. That is important. Both Avatar and Titanic which were the highest grossing films were nominated for best picture. Of course there were more prestige films and not superhero but still.
    End Game might also get support because its the closure to the Avengers series of films which helps. and It has good reviews, 78 on metacritic

    Disney will push this and it will show up in december in some critics groups, BFCA, maybe PGA.

    I don't think it will be nominated but likely it will end up TOP20/15 and half of the movies in the poll will go nowhere this season.

  6. #166
    Senior Member Justin11's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2017
    Posts: 860
    Not to mention that every movie that’s been labeled “the highest grossing movie ever” has been nominated/won Best Picture (Gone with the Wind, The Sound of Music, The Godfather, Jaws, Star Wars, ET, Titanic, Avatar) except for Jurassic Park and obviously Birth of a Nation.

  7. #167
    Senior Member
    Join Date: Aug 2016
    Posts: 1,268
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiansport1 View Post
    I actually believe Avengers: End Game should be in the poll. In the coming weeks it will surpass Avatar and become highest grossing film of all time. That is important. Both Avatar and Titanic which were the highest grossing films were nominated for best picture. Of course there were more prestige films and not superhero but still.
    End Game might also get support because its the closure to the Avengers series of films which helps. and It has good reviews, 78 on metacritic

    Disney will push this and it will show up in december in some critics groups, BFCA, maybe PGA.

    I don't think it will be nominated but likely it will end up TOP20/15 and half of the movies in the poll will go nowhere this season.
    Agreed, I don’t see the harm in putting it in the poll

  8. #168
    OKJAke Gyllenhaal erikdean's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2007
    Location: Melodramatic kindergarten
    Pronoun(s): Jake
    Posts: 68,935
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin11 View Post
    Not to mention that every movie that’s been labeled “the highest grossing movie ever” has been nominated/won Best Picture (Gone with the Wind, The Sound of Music, The Godfather, Jaws, Star Wars, ET, Titanic, Avatar) except for Jurassic Park and obviously Birth of a Nation.
    Except that Endgame would and will never, ever get multiple other nominations - and wins - like those films. This is a false equivalency in the extreme.



  9. #169
    Senior Member Justin11's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2017
    Posts: 860
    Quote Originally Posted by erikdean View Post
    Except that Endgame would and will never, ever get multiple other nominations - and wins - like those films. This is a false equivalency in the extreme.
    I’m only arguing for its existence on the poll. But I agree with you. I can’t imagine a scenario where it scores nominations outside of maaaaaybe some techs (VFX, Sounds, Score) which is coincidentally what Jurassic Park managed.

    But the highest grossing movie ever + PGA + the full support of the largest studio in the world feels like enough reason to allow people to vote for it?

  10. #170
    Senior Member Vektor's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2012
    Location: Hungary / Austria
    Posts: 9,510
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin11 View Post
    Not to mention that every movie that’s been labeled “the highest grossing movie ever” has been nominated/won Best Picture (Gone with the Wind, The Sound of Music, The Godfather, Jaws, Star Wars, ET, Titanic, Avatar) except for Jurassic Park and obviously Birth of a Nation.
    How many times do I have to write this down?

    Oscar. Voters. Don't. Care.

    They don't give a single fuck about Disney products that are designed to be the safest money printing machines. Black Panther was the one exception because it had the social commentary narrative.

    And I say this as someone who was always on the side of early contenders like Black Panther and Get Out: Endgame has no business of being on the poll. I think it won't even get a PGA nomination.

  11. #171
    Senior Member Matt24's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2013
    Posts: 12,237
    You could make an argument Endgame is Top 20, but it’s probaby in the 18-20 range even then, so it doesn’t really have to be in the poll. I definitely don’t see it as a Top 15 contender.

  12. #172
    OKJAke Gyllenhaal erikdean's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2007
    Location: Melodramatic kindergarten
    Pronoun(s): Jake
    Posts: 68,935
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin11 View Post
    I’m only arguing for its existence on the poll. But I agree with you. I can’t imagine a scenario where it scores nominations outside of maaaaaybe some techs (VFX, Sounds, Score) which is coincidentally what Jurassic Park managed.

    But the highest grossing movie ever + PGA + the full support of the largest studio in the world feels like enough reason to allow people to vote for it?
    No, I don't think it is.



  13. #173
    Senior Member Gingervitis's Avatar
    Join Date: May 2015
    Location: Krusty Krab
    Posts: 4,558
    01. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    02. Jojo Rabbit
    03. The Aeronauts
    04. Cats
    05. Ford v Ferrawrawr
    06. Harriet
    07. A Beautiful Neighborhood
    08. Joker
    09. 1917
    10. Little Women
    --
    11. LAundromat/ Baumbach
    12. The Pope
    13. Antlers
    14. Star Wars

  14. #174
    Senior Member Justin11's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2017
    Posts: 860
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt24 View Post
    You could make an argument Endgame is Top 20, but it’s probaby in the 18-20 range even then, so it doesn’t really have to be in the poll. I definitely don’t see it as a Top 15 contender.
    There are what, 50 movies on the poll right now?

    I’ve sort of backed myself into a corner I don’t want to be in because I do not like this movie , but here I am lol. I don’t think it’ll come super close to getting nominated so I’ll relent but if we’re going to have 50 movies on the poll in June, excluding it is just ridiculous

  15. #175
    Senior Member
    Join Date: Nov 2017
    Posts: 3,687
    Infinity War couldn’t even win visual effects over First Man and they tried hard not to reward that film. Nobody is picking it as their favourite film.

  16. #176
    Heartless Vulture Kostas's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2013
    Posts: 39,478
    Ironically Jurassic Park is the best reference for Endgame. Populist moneybreaker with zero artistic value.

    Next Oscar Winner - Legend and Internet Icon ItatÝ Cantoral as Jenni Rivera

  17. #177
    Pretentious Gen-Z Curmudgeon DeoGame's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2018
    Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Pronoun(s): He/His
    Posts: 582
    Any reason Motherless Brooklyn isn't on the poll? The onset disaster was beyond tragic, but the film showed well at CineEurope and well to press at Cinemacon (not so much to distributors though, but they are not always right). According to Deadline, WB is optimistic in its chances.

    Also, to air my biases, the book it is based on is superb. A caring take on a disability that doesn't pull punches or try to inspiration porn. The mystery is great and the characters superb. Give it a read.

    Anyhow, my predictions.

    1. A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

    2. JoJo Rabbit

    3. The Irishman

    4. The Laundromat

    5. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

    6. Ford v. Ferrari

    7. Motherless Brooklyn

    8. Dry Run

    9. The Aeronauts

    10. Little Women


    "We love what we can't have, and what we can't have we love." ~ Wong Kar-Wai

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •