User Tag List

Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161721 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Little Lies: Season 2

Pronoun(s): He
    Once the abuse of Celeste and the rape of Jane was found out, any prosecutor worth their salt would suspect premeditated murder. Means, Motive and Opportunity.

After the two Episodes I start to think if it really needed a 2nd Season?

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmos View Post
    Once the abuse of Celeste and the rape of Jane was found out, any prosecutor worth their salt would suspect premeditated murder. Means, Motive and Opportunity.
    Except that there are three other people present (Bonnie, Madeline and Renata), who were not victims of Perry's abuse, and they are all present when he's attacking Celeste and corroborate each others' story. There's proof of the injuries Perry caused in that moment from choking one of them and kicking the other in the stomach. I don't know/remember if it is mentioned that Jane reported whether she was raped; but, Celeste and Perry have been in ongoing therapy, talking explicitly about the domestic violence and there's proof that Celeste is trying to leave the marriage because of Perry being abusive. Those notes from therapy are the proof of domestic violence and Perry's acknowledgment of his part as the abuser in the marriage. I'm not saying someone wouldn't be charged for this killing, but 1.) I doubt they would ultimately be prosecuted and 2.) even if prosecuted, whichever woman/women got charged in this instance, there is no way they would be convicted.

The funny thing in this is that what they show of Madeline's interview with the police suggests that she tells everything the way that it happens all the way up until she says Perry lost his balance and fell down the stairs. All of the truth supports that if someone pushed this guy off of them and he fell and got hurt or died then it would have been justified. Ultimately, this is a thing that television shows do so often. They choose to make otherwise clearly justified acts of self-defense (or defense of others, in this case) murky for the sake of furthering the story, which is just boring and frustrating to me.

It seems to me that so far the second season is more about the guilt and grief that the women are dealing with as a result of Perry's death. I don't think whether the killing is criminal or justified matters in telling that part of the story.

Pronoun(s): He
    You're taking for granted that their version of the story would be believed. Madeline is best friends with Celeste and Jane so her testimony would raise doubt. Bonnie and Renata are more impartial specially Renata who was feuding with the trio until recently but as I said we are privileged by knowing what happened.

But self-defense or not Bonnie DID pushed Perry to his death. There would be scrutiny and media attention and if Bonnie was charged the circus would be even more outrageous. Every piece of their lifes would be examinated, things that they would rather keep private, specially for the sake of their children: Celeste's abuse, Jane's rape, Madeline's affair, Bonnie's own abuse would come out. I can understand why they lied.

Eco has been very good this season. I don't know what to think of Jane's arc with the guy from work, but Eco is so believable in the role.

That episode - while still highly enjoyable - wasn't as seamless of a fusion of stirring drama and camp as the first two episodes were. The first half felt a bit silly at times, but it did feel like Arnold rectified the tone towards the end.

Renata's "you're welcome" to the principal was a highlight. Dern is killing it.

Am I the only one who finds the angry Ed a bit sexy?

It looks like Mary Louise is trying to get custody of Celeste's twins. It's gonna be an acting battle.

Quote Originally Posted by mwoguji View Post
    Am I the only one who finds the angry Ed a bit sexy?

It looks like Mary Louise is trying to get custody of Celeste's twins. It's gonna be an acting battle.
    I’m getting a vibe that this has been her plan all along, and that she’s kind of really really awful underneath all her weird and kind moments, I might be wrong though! I just can see her veering into the viscious even more.

Laura Dern is fucking killing it Her open mouthed reaction to Madeline's speech was amazing.

Adam Scott was great in the therapy scene. He's doing really some really great work this season.

Jane is a saint for tolerating Mary Louise and her trying to paint Perry as this wronged victim.

Renata’s line about buying each kid a polar bear will be the meme of the week.

It cleared my skin and did my taxes. mysteryfan04's Avatar
    Pronoun(s): He/Him/His
    That assembly speech. Give Reese the Emmy.

Whoever plays Laura Dern's husband was terrific here too. He, Scott, and Tupper are doing very solid work.

Meryl's "I don't want to surrender to the idea he was evil" line was very powerful.

Pronoun(s): He/Him/His
    I'll echo the Shailene praise. She's so effortlessly brilliant in this role.

Blunt Force

Pronoun(s): He/Him
    Shailene

Pronoun(s): Her?
    Mary Louise is honestly a terrifying character. Meryl is chilling in the role. On the one hand, her desperation to prove her son wasn't a bad/violent person is sympathetic. On the other hand...bitch, no. Showing up and harassing Jane and being the poster child for victim blaming. Plus she just gives me the heebie jeebies with the ways she skulks around. She's a stealth monster.

I honestly couldn't decide who was the most impressive performer amongst the main ladies this week: Reese (that assembly speech!), Nicole (who is making Celeste's post-Perry life heartbreaking to experience, and what a great scene between Celeste and Madeline talking about the years of abuse Madeline didn't know about), Shailene (yet another multifaceted, tender performance this week), and Laura (going full HAM! in the most delightful and perfect ways possible; "Please let them know my daughter was in a coma" as Madeline goes onstage lmfao).

Adam Scott should get an Emmy nom for this season too. Loving that Ed has more to do.
    Last edited by Libs; 06-23-2019 at 10:37 PM.

Pronoun(s): Jake
    Quote Originally Posted by resonantorchid View Post
    Laura Dern is fucking killing it Her open mouthed reaction to Madeline's speech was amazing.

Adam Scott was great in the therapy scene. He's doing really some really great work this season.

Pronoun(s): Her?
    Quote Originally Posted by erikdean View Post

Renata's reaction to Mary Louise killed me too. "What the fuck was that?" "I don't know, she's very strange."

Pronoun(s): Jake
    Quote Originally Posted by Libs View Post

Renata's reaction to Mary Louise killed me too. "What the fuck was that?" "I don't know, she's very strange."
    But also, "PUSSFUCK!"

I screamed.

Quote Originally Posted by erikdean View Post

"Because it's Stanford! I mean, please." Renata, never change.

I loved the conversations between Madelaine and Celeste, and those between Jane and Zoe. The hug was so lovely, I am so glad it did not end in a kiss. The season has done a rather excellent job of showing Eco in a different light. More sensitive, subtle.