User Tag List

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101115 ... LastLast

Thread: The AW Film Canon - 1976

Pronoun(s): She/Her
    Quote Originally Posted by Jali View Post
    I can't find Duelle.
    I have it! Will send you the link

I'd love to see Mikey and Nicky get a canon placement. It may be my favorite film from this year.

People, this year (1976) there are two movies under the title "The Little Mermaid". With my FYC I was talking about the Czechoslovakian one directed by Karel Kachyna, not the Russian one (I have not seen that one, maybe I will).

Bored Awards Obsessive The Dark Poet's Avatar
    Pronoun(s): Varda
    Quote Originally Posted by aikugur View Post
    People, this year (1976) there are two movies under the title "The Little Mermaid". With my FYC I was talking about the Czechoslovakian one directed by Karel Kachyna, not the Russian one (I have not seen that one, maybe I will).
    I was actually coming here to post about it (and my review). The Czech film is a masterpiece I highly recommend it

In the lea of a picturesque city lies a large, pretentious theatre, one that pampers its nominees like its own bebês.
    Hi! I'm Catherine O'Hara, and if you like deserving Emmy nominees as much as I do, then you'll appreciate the craftsmanship and quality of a local actress who brings the sarcastic goodness to every line delivery and the delicious camp to her exuberant performance.
    Come see the difference good writing can make on your television.
    You'll remember the experience, and you'll remember the name:
    Chantelle Orteez. Catherine Torreez. Capsicum Tayzlor. Curd Harrison. Christina O'Malley. Catriona Orphanage. Cruz Hargision.

If somebody is looking for something light and funny that you can see with your family The 12 Tasks of Asterix could be what you're looking for. Don't get a wrong idea from other Asterix's adaptations, animated or not. This is miles ahead the best one (maybe the only good one). I remember to enjoy this one really much as a kid and I'll probably see it again for the canon.

Pronoun(s): It
    If somebody is looking for something light and funny that you can see with your family The 12 Tasks of Asterix could be what you're looking for. Don't get a wrong idea from other Asterix's adaptations, animated or not. This is miles ahead the best one (maybe the only good one). I remember to enjoy this one really much as a kid and I'll probably see it again for the canon.
    Love it, watched it a thousand times as a child. The mad house was the best part. Form B-65, anyone?

It's more playful and inventive than Duelle, which I saw and wish didn't take itself as seriously as it does. The perfect balance of Céline and Julie is hard to hit, I guess, since the also supposedly playful Pont du Nord failed to me for more or less the same reasons. Lightness doesn't have to mean inanity and mystery doesn't have to mean seriousness.

What a happy day it is! Elliott?'s Avatar
    Pronoun(s): He/him
    Reminder for everyone to make time to watch Harlan County, USA, one of the most visceral, thrilling, infuriating documentaries ever.

Quote Originally Posted by McTeague View Post
    Love it, watched it a thousand times as a child. The mad house was the best part. Form B-65, anyone?
    I agree on it being the best part. Also, even if as a child I didn't like it, as an adult I also appreciate the use of the elipsis in one of the tasks. The only thing I don't like is that the last three tasks are not at the level of the rest of the movie. But I repeat, it is a great movie. Even for the ones who (still think that) don't like Asterix at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Elliott? View Post
    Reminder for everyone to make time to watch Harlan County, USA, one of the most visceral, thrilling, infuriating documentaries ever.
    Such an achievement for a first time director in her 20s.
    Aisle be seeing you in all the old familiar places

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l44_n60QQ8

Reasonable and nice moderator Timmer's Avatar
    I'll update the front page at some point but let's go with July 7 for a deadline. It's a few days longer than usual but it will account for July 4th stuff

Lol mess! I thought it was the Miroslava Šafránková one. I’m planning to see that one. The one you FYCed I hope that I catch too!

Pronoun(s): He/Him
    I am watching Coup de grace by Volker Schlöndorff. The script is nice and cool, but the cinematography is amazing!! I’m shocked this doesn’t get more recognition.

Quote Originally Posted by enthusiastic View Post
    I am watching Coup de grace. The script is nice and cool, but the cinematography is amazing!! I’m shocked this doesn’t get more recognition.

Quote Originally Posted by MorganaleFey View Post
    Lol mess! I thought it was the Miroslava Šafránková one. I’m planning to see that one. The one you FYCed I hope that I catch too!
    But the one with Safrankova is the Kachyna one!

But the one with Safrankova is the Kachyna one!
    Then we are talking about the same?!

Pronoun(s): Bro
    So is this The Little Mermaid that is being recommended?

Quote Originally Posted by average joe View Post
    So is this The Little Mermaid that is being recommended?
    That link doesn't work for me, but I can see one photo and it seems like it.

To be clear, two movies with the name "The Little Mermaid" exist for 1976.

This is the one that has been FYCed. It's in Czech, its director is Karel Kachyna and the lead actress is Miroslava Safránková:

This is the other movie (not FYCed). It's in Russian, its director is Vladimir Bychkov and the lead actress is Galina Volchek:

Last edited by aikugur; 06-21-2019 at 12:44 AM.

Pronoun(s): It
    And there's another East block The Little Mermaid in 1975!

The mermaid obsession run deep in those days.

Bored Awards Obsessive The Dark Poet's Avatar
    Pronoun(s): Varda
    Quote Originally Posted by McTeague View Post
    And there's another East block The Little Mermaid in 1975!

The mermaid obsession run deep in those days.

I guess the "youngster wants to rebel against an restrictive social system by escaping to the land of freedom" really resonated

In the lea of a picturesque city lies a large, pretentious theatre, one that pampers its nominees like its own bebês.
    Hi! I'm Catherine O'Hara, and if you like deserving Emmy nominees as much as I do, then you'll appreciate the craftsmanship and quality of a local actress who brings the sarcastic goodness to every line delivery and the delicious camp to her exuberant performance.
    Come see the difference good writing can make on your television.
    You'll remember the experience, and you'll remember the name:
    Chantelle Orteez. Catherine Torreez. Capsicum Tayzlor. Curd Harrison. Christina O'Malley. Catriona Orphanage. Cruz Hargision.

Y’all, Duelle. More like Drool-elle because I was mesmerized, mouth agape, with its wonders.

Is “dreams are the aquarium of the night” one of the top ten film lines, ever, too?