User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The AW Film Canon - 1975

Bored Awards Obsessive The Dark Poet's Avatar
    Pronoun(s): Varda
    Isn't "Dersu Uzala" a spell from Harry Potter? Those films didn't premiere until 2001!

In the lea of a picturesque city lies a large, pretentious theatre, one that pampers its nominees like its own bebÍs.
    Hi! I'm Catherine O'Hara, and if you like deserving Emmy nominees as much as I do, then you'll appreciate the craftsmanship and quality of a local actress who brings the sarcastic goodness to every line delivery and the delicious camp to her exuberant performance.
    Come see the difference good writing can make on your television.
    You'll remember the experience, and you'll remember the name:
    Chantelle Orteez. Catherine Torreez. Capsicum Tayzlor. Curd Harrison. Christina O'Malley. Catriona Orphanage. Cruz Hargision.

Pronoun(s): It
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Poet View Post
    Isn't "Dersu Uzala" a spell from Harry Potter?
    Yes, it is! The way to use it is putting it at the top of your ballot, and that way your true favorite will win.

Quote Originally Posted by BraveSirRobin View Post
    FYC

Perfect example of how some people can lose their heads because of some women.
    Canon 1975, watched so far:
    01. Trilogy of terror 02. Love and death 03. The lost honor of Katharina Blum 04. Under the blossoming cherry trees

So, I decide not to watch India song for this Canon. After 20 minutes I was bored, so I guess I am not in the mood for watching a film like that right now. Voice-over didn't help much either. I will give it another chance in the future.
    Canon 1975, watched so far:
    01. Trilogy of terror 02. Love and death 03. The lost honor of Katharina Blum 04. Under the blossoming cherry trees

Pronoun(s): It
    Sorry you didn't like what you saw, La Jali!

It's a difficult film, and indeed its main criticism across the years has been that it's, well, a bore. The whole movie is told in voiceover, against a backdrop of very languid and repetitive images and music. It's definitely experimental, and one must be, as you say, in the mood for it. I wasn't remotely bored, but I was definitely prepared and in the mood for something like it when I saw it. But it's not more boring than the other Delphine Seyrig film!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoster1 View Post
    Just finished Tommy. I can't believe Academy actually nominated Ann-Margret for this. Iconique
    Yeah, Ann-Margaret (and Oliver Reed) are fantastic in the film as is the film - one of Russell's very very best. Even Pauline Kael who didn't have much time for Ken Russell liked it. I've lost count of how many times I've seen Tommy over the decades though most recently it was about two months ago and as know one else was home I (badly) sang along with it all the way through. Though I really like Louise Fletcher in Cuckoo's Nest (not to mention Isabelle Adjani & Glenda Jackson in their nominated performances) Ann-Margaret would have got my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by JeanRZEJ View Post

The Passenger most overlooked because of showy last shot?
    Yup. I'm kinda impressed that a film by Antonioni (specially this one) gets ignored by the forum since it's Jack Nicholson's best role in his career, the shots are beautifully magnificient (so much that the last one pales in comparison to one of the best flashbacks I've ever seen in film history), and, also, is possibly (imo) one of the most intriguing films made by Antonioni, yet quite accessible for the people less used to his films (and it's top 10 of the year material at least).

Quote Originally Posted by BraveSirRobin View Post
    FYC

This cover must be fake as the film has not been released by Ceiterion right?

Pronoun(s): He/Him/His
    Quote Originally Posted by Naruse View Post
    This cover must be fake as the film has not been released by Ceiterion right?
    Just found an image i needed through a quick google search. Dunno, probably fake. Criterion covers are usually more creative than just a still from a movie and a name, so yeah.

Bored Awards Obsessive The Dark Poet's Avatar
    Pronoun(s): Varda
    For Your Consideration...
    The Sims: Belgium Edition

In the lea of a picturesque city lies a large, pretentious theatre, one that pampers its nominees like its own bebÍs.
    Hi! I'm Catherine O'Hara, and if you like deserving Emmy nominees as much as I do, then you'll appreciate the craftsmanship and quality of a local actress who brings the sarcastic goodness to every line delivery and the delicious camp to her exuberant performance.
    Come see the difference good writing can make on your television.
    You'll remember the experience, and you'll remember the name:
    Chantelle Orteez. Catherine Torreez. Capsicum Tayzlor. Curd Harrison. Christina O'Malley. Catriona Orphanage. Cruz Hargision.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Beachnau View Post
    FYC

Chronicle of the Years of Fire

Winner of the Palme d'Or, it's pretty much a prequel to The Battle of Algiers and it's excellent.
    It's pretty good, but if I hadn't watched it, I would wait until last year's restoration is available.

Quote Originally Posted by Naruse View Post
    Romy’s best performance. Or maybe top two with Ordinary story. She was incredible in this and made an otherwise far fetched story quite watchable.
    Still her best film of that year was probably...

THE OLD GUN (Robert Enrico)

This is an excellent crossover between action cinema and melancholic drama set during the days prior to the Liberation during WWII.

More FYCs:

GILIAP (Roy Andersson)

This is Andersson's second film, still kind of realistic, but in the life of a young man who starts working in hotel you can feel the seeds of what would come later, the subtle sense of desperation and emptiness, a grey world without purpose.

DO RIGHT AND FEAR NO ONE (Jutta BrŁckner)

Entirely composed of photographs (most of them by Agust Sander showing random German people), the film offers through voiceover the journey towards emancipation of Jutta's mother. Therefore it's an individual story, but also it's Germany's common history during half century, as her personal experience resonates in the whole society through those stills.

PASTORALI (Otar Iosseliani)

One of Iosseliani's most daring films, with his typical gallery of picturesque characters, showing a string music group in the countryside interacting with the local folks. The joy, the peace, the music, the drinks, Iosseliani's spirit is in full swing here; the dramas are not trascendental at all, just part of the landscape.

Pronoun(s): She/Her
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
    It would be a shame if it took votes away from Russellís superior film from the same year.
    That other film is also my favorite and I have FYCíef
    #Huppert2020

Quote Originally Posted by Minutemen View Post
    Yup. I'm kinda impressed that a film by Antonioni (specially this one) gets ignored by the forum since it's Jack Nicholson's best role in his career, the shots are beautifully magnificient (so much that the last one pales in comparison to one of the best flashbacks I've ever seen in film history), and, also, is possibly (imo) one of the most intriguing films made by Antonioni, yet quite accessible for the people less used to his films (and it's top 10 of the year material at least).

There are days when I think it might be his best work. I guess many might scoff at putting it up there with L'Avventura, La Notte, or Red Desert, but I think it is. And it's certainly better than his other English-language films.

Quote Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
    It would be a shame if it took votes away from Russellís superior film from the same year.

You can't go wrong with swimming in baked beans and riding on a 10 foot long penis.