The Trial of the Chicago 7, Da 5 Bloods and Tenet keep rising. All feature a style of editing the branch loves (more vs less, this is the group that nominated Bohemian Rhapsody and ultimately handed it a win, after all), which could hurt Nomadland.
Keeping my eye out on Palm Springs and Promising Young Woman. It’s hard for a comedy of any kind to crack the Oscar top 5 but both are probably assured ACE editing nominations that would boost their profiles a bit.
Here are my ranked 2021 Oscar predictions in Film Editing.
Green – moves up; Red – moves down; Blue – new entry this month
1. The Trial of the Chicago 7 (Netflix)
2. Nomadland (Searchlight Pictures)
3. Mank (Netflix)
4. News of the World (Universal Pictures)
5. Da 5 Bloods (Netflix)
6. Tenet (Warner Bros)
7. The Father (Sony Pictures Classics)
8. Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom (Netflix)
9. Judas and the Black Messiah (Warner Bros)
10. The Midnight Sky (Netflix)
Other Contenders (alphabetical by film)
One Night in Miami… (Amazon Studios)
Palm Springs (Hulu/Neon)
Andrew Dickler and Matt Friedman
Promising Young Woman (Focus Features)
Sound of Metal (Amazon Studios)
Mikkel E.G. Nielsen
The United States vs. Billie Holiday (Paramount Pictures)
Palm Springs photo: Jessica Perez/Hulu