2021 Oscar Predictions: ORIGINAL SONG (February)
The Oscar shortlist showed us where the music branch leaned, snubbing several high-profile songs like “Wear Your Crown” from The Prom, “Rocket to the Moon” from Over the Moon, “Just Sing” from Trolls: World Tour as well as Golden Globe nominee “Tigress & Tweed” from The United States vs Billie Holiday.
It also opened the door for some unexpected choices like “Make It Work” from Jingle Jangle: A Christmas Journey (which really blew up at the shortlists all over), “Green” from Sound of Metal and “Show Me Your Soul” from the documentary Mr. Soul!
One thing that remained consistent was Diane Warren with multiple opportunities. She landed two spots on the shortlist and is assured for at least one nomination but can she get two?
The Hollywood Music in Media Awards (HMMA) gave their Feature Film win to Warren’s “Io Sì” (Seen)” from The Life Ahead. The Society of Composers and Lyricists (SCL) nominated the song as well as “Wuhan Flu” from Borat and “Husavik” from Eurovision Song Contest.
15 songs advanced in the Original Song category for the 93rd Academy Awards from 105 eligible songs. Members of the Music Branch vote to determine the shortlist and the nominees.
Here are my ranked 2021 Oscar predictions in Original Song for February.
Green – moves up ↑; Red – moves down ↓; Blue – new entry this month +; Black – no change ↔
1. “Speak Now” from One Night in Miami… ↔ (Amazon Studios) – GG, BFCA
Written by Leslie Odom, Jr. and Sam Ashworth
2. “Io Sì” (Seen)” from The Life Ahead ↔ (Netflix) – HMMA, SCL, GG, BFCA
Written by Diane Warren, Laura Pausini and Niccolò Agliardi
3. “Husavik (My Hometown)” from Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga ↔ (Netflix) – HMMA, SCL, BFCA
Written by Fat Max Gsus, Rickard Göransson, and Savan Kotecha
4. “Turntables” from All In: The Fight for Democracy ↑ (Amazon Studios)
Written by Janelle Monáe, Nathaniel Irvin III, George “George 2.0.” A. Peters II
5. “Fight For You” from Judas and the Black Messiah ↑ (Warner Bros) – HMMA, BFCA
Written by H.E.R., D’Mile, Tiara Thomas
6. “Never Break” from Giving Voice ↑ (Netflix) – HMMA
Written by John Legend, Nasri Atweh, Benjamin Hudson McIldowie, Greg Wells, John Stephens
7. “Make It Work” from Jingle Jangle: A Christmas Journey + (Netflix)
Written by John Stephens
8. “Hear My Voice” from The Trial of the Chicago 7 ↓ (Netflix) – HMMA
Music by Daniel Pemberton; Lyrics by Daniel Pemberton and Celeste Waite
9. “Wuhan Flu” from Borat Subsequent Moviefilm ↔ (Amazon Studios) – SCL
Written by Sacha Baron Cohen, Erran Baron Cohen, Anthony Hines, Peter Baynham, Erica Rivinoja, Dan Swimer, Jena Friedman, Jim Russell, Jerry Holleman
10. “See What You’ve Done” from Belly of the Beast ↑ (PBS Independent Lens)
Written by Mary J. Blige, Darhyl Camper, Jr., Denisia Andrews and Brittany Coney
11. “Loyal Brave True” from Mulan ↑ (Disney+)
Written by Jamie Hartman, Harry Gregson-Williams, Rosi Golan and Billy Crabtree, and produced by Jamie Hartman
12. “Rain Song” from Minari ↑ (A24)
Written by Emile Mosseri and Stefanie Y. Hong
13. “Free” from The One and Only Ivan ↑ (Disney+)
Written by Diane Warren
14. “Green” from Sound of Metal + (Amazon Studios)
Written by Abraham Marder
15. “Show Me Your Soul” from Mr. Soul! + (Shoes in Bed Productions)
Music by Robert Glasper, lyrics by Muhammed Ayers
Photo courtesy of Amazon Studios