IMAX, black & white and 1.33:1 aspect ratios have flooded theaters this year, offering audiences one of the most varied visual seasons in years, many incorporating a combination of some or all of these styles.
The contender lineup is a tapestry of Oscar favorites including winners Linus Sandgren (Saltburn) and Erik Messerschmidt (Ferrari) and a host of previous nominees like Hoyte van Hoytema (Oppenheimer), Rodrigo Prieto (Killers of the Flower Moon and Barbie), Matthew Libatique (Maestro), Łukasz Żal (The Zone of Interest), Robbie Ryan (Poor Things), Edward Lachman (El Conde), Dariusz Wolski (Napoleon), Dan Laustsen (The Color Purple) and more.
The American Society of Cinematographers (ASC) will reveal their nominations on January 11, 2024 and hold their annual awards on March 3. Oscar nominations will be announced on January 23, 2024 and the 96th Academy Awards will be held on March 10.
Here are my 2024 Oscar predictions in Cinematography for October 2023.
- Oppenheimer (Universal Pictures) – Hoyte van Hoytema
- Killers of the Flower Moon (Apple Original Films/Paramount Pictures) – Rodrigo Prieto
- Maestro (Netflix) – Matthew Libatique
- The Zone of Interest (A24) – Łukasz Żal
- Poor Things (Searchlight Pictures) – Robbie Ryan
- El Conde (Netflix) – Edward Lachman
- Saltburn (Amazon MGM Studios) – Linus Sandgren
- Ferrari (NEON) – Erik Messerschmidt
- Napoleon (Apple Original Films/Sony Pictures) – Dariusz Wolski
- The Color Purple (Warner Bros) – Dan Laustsen
Next up: Anatomy of a Fall (NEON) – Simon Beaufils, Barbie (Warner Bros) – Rodrigo Prieto, The Killer (Netflix) – Erik Messerschmidt, Priscilla (A24) – Philippe Le Sourd, The Taste of Things (IFC Films) – Jonathan Ricquebourg
Other contenders: Air (Amazon MGM Studios) – Robert Richardson, All of Us Strangers (Searchlight Pictures) – Jamie D. Ramsay, Asteroid City (Focus Features) – Robert Yeoman, The Bikeriders (20th Century Studios) – Adam Stone, The Holdovers (Focus Features) – Eigil Bryid, The Iron Claw (A24) – Mátyás Erdély, May December (Netflix) – Christopher Blauvelt, NYAD (Netflix) – Claudio Miranda, Origin (NEON) – Matthew J. Lloyd, Past Lives (A24) – Shabier Kirchner, Rustin (Netflix) – Tobias A. Schliessler