Television and feature film submissions for the Art Directors Guild (ADG, IATSE Local 800) 25th Annual Excellence in Production Design Awards are set to open online today, Monday, November 2, 2020. The ADG Awards honor excellence in Production Design in theatrical motion pictures, television, commercials, music videos and animated feature films. This year, the ADG Awards will expand to include 12 categories. The “Excellence in Production Design for Television Variety, Reality or Event Special” category has been split into two new classifications: “Variety, Reality or Competition Series” and “Variety Special.” For information on the ADG Award Rules and Submission Guidelines: www.adg.org
Feature film categories for production design awards are Period, Fantasy, Contemporary and Animated. Last year’s winners included Parasite and eventual Oscar winner Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Television has seven categories broken down by show length and genre: One-Hour Period or Fantasy Single-Camera Series, One-Hour Contemporary Single-Camera Series, Television Movie or Limited Series, Half-Hour Single-Camera, Multi-Camera Series, ShortForm: WebSeries, Music Video or Commercial, Variety/Reality or Competition Series and Variety Special. Last year’s winners included The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and The Umbrella Academy.
The 25th Annual Awards, set for Saturday, April 10, 2021, will break with tradition in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. The ceremony will be presented on a digital platform and will be streamed to a worldwide and more inclusive audience.
The 2020-21 timeline for the ADG Awards is:
- Submissions Open for TV & Feature Film at www.adg.org Monday, Nov. 2, 2020
- Submissions for TV Close Monday, Dec. 7, 2020
- Submissions for Feature Films Close Monday, Jan. 4, 2021
- Online Voting for TV & Feature Film Nominations Begins Monday, Feb. 1, 2021
- Online Voting for Nominations Closes (5 PM, PDT) *Wednesday, Feb 24, 2021
- Nominations Announced *Thursday, Feb 25, 2021
- Final Online Voting Begins Thursday, March 11, 2021
- Final Online Voting Ends (5 PM, PDT) *Wednesday, April 7, 2021
- Winners Announced at ADG Awards Gala Saturday, April 10, 2021
* Dates recently changed
The producer of this year’s ADG Awards (#ADGawards) is Scott Moses ADG. ADG Awards are open only to productions, when made within the U.S., by producers signatory to the IATSE agreement. Foreign entries are acceptable without restrictions.