‘Carol,’ ‘Sense8,’ ‘Transparent’ Top GLAAD Media Awards
GLAAD, the Gay and Lesbian Association Against Defamation, gave out its 27th annual awards in Beverly Hills last night and Carol was the Outstanding Film (wide release) and the television shows Sense8 and Transparent received TV series honors. Lilly Wachowski made her first public appearance since transitioning to accept her award for Sense8. The GLAAD awards focus on fair representation of the LGBT community in all areas of media; film, television, journalism and music.
There was a tie in the Reality Program category with I Am Cait and I Am Jazz both winning. Both shows feature trans women (Caitlyn Jenner and Jazz Jennings) going through their transitions at very different times in their lives. For Jenner, in her mid-60s and for Jennings as a teenager.
Singer Demi Lovato performed her single “Stone Cold” upon receiving the Vanguard Award, presented by Nick Jonas.
“I grew up in Texas where it wasn’t very accepting of any sort of LGBT person,” said Lovato. “I grew up with friends that were gay and afraid to come out. But, I had a safe environment and family.”
Ricky Martin and newcomer Troye Sivan received Outstanding Music Artist wins Bessie was awarded the Outstanding TV Movie or Limited Series award, which was accepted by its star, Queen Latifah.
More GLAAD awards will be presented at the Waldorf Astoria in New York on May 14. The awards show will air on Logo April 4 at 10 p.m. ET/PT.
Here is the full list of winners:
- Vanguard Award: Demi Lovato
- Stephen F. Kolzak Award: Ruby Rose
- Outstanding Reality Program: TIE: I Am Cait (E!) and I Am Jazz (TLC)
- Outstanding TV Movie or Limited Series: Bessie (HBO)
- Outstanding Drama Series: Sense8 (Netflix)
- Outstanding Spanish-Language Television Interview: “Orientación sexual y acoso escolar” Realidades en Contexto (CNN en Español)
- Outstanding Film – Wide Release: Carol (The Weinstein Company)
- Outstanding Comedy Series: Transparent (Amazon Instant Video)
- Outstanding Documentary: Kumu Hina (PBS)
- Outstanding Daily Drama: The Bold and The Beautiful (CBS)
- Outstanding Music Artist: Troye Sivan, Blue Neighbourhood (Capitol Records)
- Outstanding Comic Book: Lumberjanes, written by Noelle Stevenson, Shannon Watters, Kat Leyh (BOOM! Studios)
- Outstanding Talk Show Episode: “Janet Mock” Super Soul Sunday (OWN)
- Outstanding Novela: Rastros de mentiras (MundoMax)
- Outstanding Music Artist: Ricky Martin, A quien quiera escuchar (Sony Music Latin)
- Outstanding Local Television Interview: “La nueva transgeneración” Enfoque Los Ángeles (KVEA-Telemundo 52 [Los Ángeles])
- Outstanding Local TV Journalism: “Cada 29 horas” Noticias 19 (KUVS-Univision 19 [Sacramento])
- Outstanding Newspaper Article: “Padres transgénero – El único requisito para ser papá es el amor por los hijos” by Virginia Gaglianone (La Opinión)
- Outstanding Digital Journalism Article: “Perú: violaciones correctivas: El terrible método para ‘curar’ a las lesbianas” by Leire Ventas (BBCMundo.com)