FINAL 2022 Oscar Nomination Predictions: PRODUCTION DESIGN and COSTUME DESIGN
Production Design has four solid contenders in Dune, The French Dispatch, Nightmare Alley and West Side Story. Each snapped up the four precursors and have all shown strength throughout the season. Despite being period pieces and Best Picture frontrunners, both Belfast and The Power of the Dog missed the two main ones: the Art Directors Guild (ADG) and BAFTA. It’s hard to see both make it on just CCA (Belfast) and SDSA (The Power of the Dog) when you have The Tragedy of Macbeth and a surging Licorice Pizza (who nabbed ADG over both of them). Don’t count out Cyrano either.
Dune, Nightmare Alley and Cruella should be locked and loaded for Costume Design, having all earned the three precursors. From there it’s a grab bag of West Side Story, Cyrano, The French Dispatch and House of Gucci all most likely vying for two spots.
Unsurprisingly, these two categories consistently have quite a bit of crossover and that’s going to be the case this year as well.
Here are my final 2022 Oscar nomination predictions for Production Design and Costume Design.
1. Nightmare Alley (Searchlight Pictures) – CCA, BAFTA, SDSA, ADG
2. Dune (Warner Bros/HBO Max) – CCA, BAFTA, SDSA, ADG
3. The French Dispatch (Searchlight Pictures) – CCA, BAFTA, SDSA, ADG
4. West Side Story (20th Century Studios) – CCA, BAFTA, SDSA, ADG
5. The Tragedy of Macbeth (A24/Apple Original Films) – SDSA, ADG
6. Cyrano (MGM/UAR) – SDSA, BAFTA
7. The Power of the Dog (Netflix) – SDSA
8. Belfast (Focus Features) – CCA
9. Licorice Pizza (MGM/UAR) – ADG, SDSA
10. Being the Ricardos (Amazon Studios) – SDSA
1. Dune (Warner Bros/HBO Max) – CCA, BAFTA, CDG
2. Nightmare Alley (Searchlight Pictures) – CCA, BAFTA, CDG
3. Cruella (Walt Disney) – CCA, BAFTA, CDG
4. West Side Story (20th Century Studios) – CCA, CDG
5. Cyrano (MGM/UAR) – BAFTA, CDG
6. The French Dispatch (Searchlight Pictures) – BAFTA
7. House of Gucci (MGM/UAR) – CCA, CDG
8. Coming 2 America (Amazon Studios) – CDG
9. The Matrix Resurrections (Warner Bros/HBO Max) – CDG
10. Shang–Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (Walt Disney/Marvel Studios) – CDG